Backing for Saltwater--can I mix?

Wildfish

Wildfish

I'm putting line on a new salt reel that I want to load up with 200 yards of 30#. I already have about 100 yards of white backing that I want to attach to the line, then I was going to nail knot orange backing between the white backing and the reel (so I know when I only have 1/2 left). Anyone see a problem with that? Any reason I don't want a knot in my backing (risk of losing the fly line, knot through the guides, etc).
Thanks

Should be fine, imo. Go for it.

fine but you could use perma pen on inside arbor to show halfway-

In salt, you are much more likely to use your backing. I had done a similar thing and the only suggestion I would make is to smooth out the knot.
When I first did it, the knot would get stuck on the eyes when the fish was on a run and when I would regain that line. I put a small dab of super glue on each side of the knot to taper it so it would run smoothly in and out. Problem solved.

No, but ensure your knot is up to snot.

As the backing decreases, the effective arbour decreases and effective drag goes up. Furthemore, you've got that much more line being pulled through the water, even FURTHER increasing the drag.

save a great deal of money if you went to a salt water tackle shop and let them fill with Ande for your backing-are you talking Dacron?

A lot of saltwater fly anglers run 2 or even 3 colors so they know how far a fish has run. go for it. Tarpon guys will run 100 yds. of one color and the rest another. Off shore I have done this for sails, and tuna. some even do the last 50 yds. in a color then they know if they are going to lose a fish or setup.

Thanks guys.
Yeah pete, this is Dacron. This will mostly be for small blues from a kayak in the surf, and maybe puppy drum and speckled trout in the sound down South. Probably won't get too far into my backing, but just in case. Where I'm fishing there's always a chance for small sharks. Might even try dolphin (mahi) when I do an offshore trip (as long as they're small).

uhhhh.....im not sure how sturdy your knot is going to be whipping through your guides with fish attached to it. IMO, i tend to use 65# powerpro hollow ace under my 9 wt line on an Orvis Battenkill MA. The powerpro will never break and doesn't take up much line on a reel either. I have 300 yards of it on my reel and a 12lb bone took out almost all of it. I would tend to one length of line.

It should be at least as sturdy as the knot attaching the backing to the fly line. As for powerpro--I'd worry about the guides on a fly rod. They aren't designed for braid, are they?

if you want braid try cabelas clearance-I got 600 yds for about forty dollars or you can get ande for about 10
only knock against the new braids-if you aren't careful they will wind knot-you will have to cut.
I would not waste money on hi-priced backing-reds or blues don't run that far-and sea trout are wimps-go for jacks,if you want fun.Can't eat them but they will fight-

why do you want to know when "half of your backing" is on the reel?
it doesn't matter. fight the fish. adjust your drag accordingly. don't worry about how much line is out. if you are talking about different colored backing, well, that means you are a rookie. in that case, you have way too many other things to worry about than how much line you have in or out. why risk the extra knot?

ive hooked multiple bones over ten pounds that ran like hell and havent had any damage to my guides at all. the powerpro is great. the hollow ace is actually a ton smoother than the original powerpro. its also extremely sexy in appearance.

Back