Backcountry Wading Shoes

T

troutbert

Does anyone have recommendations for wading shoes for treks into backcountry streams in the state forests and gamelands?

I'm looking for the right balance of weight and durability (and cost.)

I now have Simms Guide boots and they are rugged and durable, but they are also very heavy and it takes a toll after 6 miles or so of walking. And they are pretty pricey.

I'd like to find something lighter, but that will still hold up to quite a few miles of usage.

Are you looking for a wading boot for hiking, or a hiking boot for wading?

In other words, are you wearing waders or wet wading?

Cabelas ultralight is what I use.

jayL wrote:
Are you looking for a wading boot for hiking, or a hiking boot for wading?

In other words, are you wearing waders or wet wading?

A wading boot for doing the backcountry, mountain stream fishing. I use hip boots, with a wading shoe over top. I do day trips primarily.

A typical day would be parking at a bridge, fish upstream 3 miles or so, then walk 3 miles back to the car. Then go home and collapse. :)

I use these the cheaper non quick lace version of these:

http://www.cabelas.com/p-0018020830336a.shtml

In the never ending search for long stretches of pocket water, I cover lots and lots of ground. I hate fishing the same spot for more than a few minutes.

I have found these to be lightweight and supportive. For that price, you can't beat it. The only bad review complains about a mildew smell... In wading boots... your guess is as good as mine. :lol:

jayL wrote:
I use these the cheaper non quick lace version of these:

http://www.cabelas.com/p-0018020830336a.shtml

In the never ending search for long stretches of pocket water, I cover lots and lots of ground. I hate fishing the same spot for more than a few minutes.

I have found these to be lightweight and supportive. For that price, you can't beat it. The only bad review complains about a mildew smell... In wading boots... your guess is as good as mine. :lol:

Hmm, yes, those Chotas look pretty nice. Thanks.

If you don't find the felt a big security factor for this kind of fishing you may want to consider a rubber sole.

I was looking for the same thing last Spring. I like my Simms but they are too heavy for me all day, especially in a size 12. I bought a pair of the Cloudveils and I like them so far. They are only 36 oz. and have a grippy rubber sole. Not quite as good as felts but I haven't fallen in yet this year. They also have a felt sole model that is only 20 oz. but I have no experience with them.

http://www.cloudveil.com/mens/fly-fishing/boots/8x+grippy+rubber+boot--CF00016/

http://www.cloudveil.com/mens/fly-fishing/boots/8x+wading+boot--CF00001/

I just got a pair of Korkers Torrent. I got them for backcountry brookie fishing. I only used them once, the trip however invovle a 1.5 mile hike just to get to the stream plus another 3 miles of stream. They are low top so they are extremely light and fast drying. They also have multiple sole options so I have lug soles for the hike then just switch to stubbed felt when I get to the stream. They don't have the ankle support of traditional wading boots because they are low top. Might be something you want to look into but if you are parking at a bridge and not really doing much hiking just to get to the stream you may just want more traditional wading boots. They aren't too expensive however $100 at cabelas, I found them online on ebay for $60 or $70 can't remember. An additional sole is $30.

What sole to get is a major consideration. I've slipped on muddy trails in felt frequently, so I switched to lug soles last year. They are the best for hiking. Then I took a bad fall on a large wet boulder this year with lug soles. I was about 3 miles from a road at the time in remote country by myself and it made me rethink things. So I switched back to felt, thinking I'd rather slip on mud than a rock. Studded felt or one of the new "anti-invasive" soles may be the best bet. Korkers may be ideal if you have a long hike before you fish, but I've known a several people who have had problems keeping the soles in.

I have found studded felt to be of help on muddy trails, but it certainly isn't a solution. I think a wading staff/walking stick might be the best choice. I plan on getting one, as the salmon run involves a 2 mile mud hike in the dark. Someone bites it every year.

I used to use studded felt and switched to studded aquastealth last year and have found little to no difference in stream traction. Felt provides a SLIGHTLY better grip but with studs there's not much difference. I'm using the Simms Rivershed boots and they're light enough for me, and supposedly designed for backcountry hiking. There are definately lighter boots out there though. If you want to stay with Simms their new models use the stream tred soles, add the stud kits and you're golden. The Headwaters boot seems to be the lightest one they make.

Cabelas and LL Bean are also worth a look. I know some guys swear by Korkers, but I prefer to go with the attached sole. It's just one more thing to have to maintain, deal with going wrong, etc. in my opinion.

Back