Auld Lang Syne

klingy

klingy

I love finding fish in spots you’d least expect. Often my searches for new water are fruitless. I am really good at finding streams chock full of creek chubs, silt, warm water, or all three. There has been one stream that I’ve had my eye on for a while, but hadn’t got around to fishing it. The pull of my familiar streams is always strong - I KNOW there are fish there, and I can usually manage at least a few.

But today was a day for exploration. Maybe I’d end the year with a skunk, or maybe, just maybe i could coax a trout on my last trip of 2019.

I had never fished the stream before, but had driven over it numerous times without paying it much attention. After doing some research on access and scouting it out, I figured I’d give it a shot.

Cloudy morning. Check. Stained water. Check. Newly tied streamers that looked like something might consider eating it. Check. Fish. Maybe.

The first few cast to likely places came and went. My hopes were sliding. I chucked the streamer under a bridge where the current had carved a deep hole along the side. Strip. Strip. Stop. The line stopped. I lifted. It didn’t move. Then it did. It looked like a yellow carp. A brown about the size of a VW bus had just inhaled my streamer. After two seconds it ran back under the bridge and the proceeded to plow through the riffle above the bridge (while probably laughing). My 2x tippet dangled in the slightest breeze. Ok, so there are fish here.

For the next few hours, the action was fast. Numerous hits and misses, and quite a few hits and hookups. One fish would be fat and well fed while the next would be thinner and hungrier. These fish must move a lot within this system. Makes sense for where the stream is.

As I walked back to the truck, I thought maybe I would stop at one of my favorite little spring creeks on the way home. But there is this one stream that I drove over the other day...

Attachments

• DB0ADA50-DE96-46AA-8F09-8E9E23A74A86.jpeg
    DB0ADA50-DE96-46AA-8F09-8E9E23A74A86.jpeg
    112.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 6C526241-E18A-4E8B-8053-5D0CD8A0689C.jpeg
    6C526241-E18A-4E8B-8053-5D0CD8A0689C.jpeg
    129 KB · Views: 3
  • D563D693-76F7-4B84-992A-56983F74F61A.jpeg
    D563D693-76F7-4B84-992A-56983F74F61A.jpeg
    80.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 6D307B0A-BCB7-46E2-8775-A70D3468171F.jpeg
    6D307B0A-BCB7-46E2-8775-A70D3468171F.jpeg
    104.3 KB · Views: 5
Wow, congratulations on closing out 2019 in a big way! Makes me sad I didn't get out. Maybe tomorrow!

That one trout's head looks tiny compared to it's body. Nice fish though. I explored someplace new today and had own good solid tug on a streamer and otherwise I came up totally empty. Glad you did better than I did.

Beautiful fish man, capped off an already great year for you!

That was a Happy New Year. GG

Successful exploration of "new" water sounds like a great way to wrap up the year. Congrats

Very nice.

That's awesome. I also love exploring those "off the radar" streams

Great fish. Nicely done.

Cheers to exploring new water and finding new trout!

Just curious...is that stream listed as a class A? Those are some healthy looking wild browns!

jifigz-yea, it did have a small head compared to it’s body. Really had a salmon-shaped body. Fought like the ****ens.

Bigjohn - As far as I know, this stream isn’t even on the natural reproduction list, much less the class a list.

klingy wrote:

Bigjohn - As far as I know, this stream isn’t even on the natural reproduction list, much less the class a list.

Thats really cool! Its one of those situations where I wonder if it would be a good thing to make the stream known to the PFBC and have it studied and added to a list of natural production or class A streams or just let it go, keep it a secret, and hope no one destroys the fishery.

Back