Auction of Lefty Kreh's Fishing Gear

geebee wrote:
ryansheehan wrote:
RLeep2 wrote:
>>He was one of Americas most successful authors- he published over 30 books worldwide, you think his family needed the cash ?>>

I'm doubtful Kreh, even at his level, was able to earn enough from his fishing related work to be "wealthy" by any definition. There simply isn't enough money in it. After all, he held a number of day jobs through his career, perhaps most notably at the Baltimore Sun.

If you look at the vast majority of the more popular FF authors from Traver to Schweibert to Gierach and on and on, most of them came into the field avocationally. Judges, journalists, academics, etc.

Whatever and however, I'm sure the Kreh family is doing what they need to in this situation.

Agreed, people judging the family's actions without any knowledge of the situation is wrong. .

i'm not judging them, i'm just saying its a little bit sad - a bit like when your hear a Vet having to sell off his service medals.

I think it's alot different than that. I can only imagine the amount of gear that a guy like that accumulated through his years of fishing. We're not talking about one service medal but enough fishing gear to fill up a garage or two.
I would only be guessing but would think the family kept some things that meant the most to them. What you might value as a fan might be a lot different than what they value as family. I think it's pretty neat that people who wanted to have some of his gear were able to do so, definitely not sad in my book. It's much better than them stuffing it in a storage unit.

I always say, when I die I want to be remembered for being a great husband, a great father who raised great kids, and a great human being. I don't want anybody saying I was a great fishermen or talk about how I loved to fish. I'm sure his family feels the same and they each kept some things that are especially meaningful to them. The great thing about a legacy is it needs nothing tangible to be remembered.

LEFTY WAS AND IS A VERY OUTGOING SPOKESMAN. HE CAPTIVATES THE CROWD. LOT'S OF HUMOR, LOTS OF FACT. A TRUE SPIRIT OF FISHING. YOU WANT TO GET UP OFF YOUR SEAT AND START FISHING. MET HIM AT A HBG. FLY FISHING BANQUET HELD IN CARLISLE PA. I NOTICED THE SALE ON EBAY. TOO BAD TO HAVE SEPERATED A LIFETIME COLLECTION. I WOULD LIKE TO SAY THIS. LEFTY GO IN PEACE, BROTHER OF THE TIE, HAT, ROD. KEEP THE COFFEE HOT AND THE WIND OFF YOUR BACK. WERE RIGHT BEHIND YOU.

Back