Attaching Backing to Reel

C

CWE24

I received a new Reddington Drift 3 weight for Christmas. I need to tie on the backing and the fly line. Do I use the entire 100 yards of backing? What knots do you suggest using for putting on the backing? I have never put this on but wanted to do it myself. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Here is a youtube video I use:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfVSq5lpnd4&list=FLvNnaGiexFf6D0phvoMxM_A&index=82

I have a large nail tacked into the side of my work bench that I put the spool of new line on, so that it spins freely. Then I wind it onto the reel first. Then I attach it to the backing with a nail knot, and wind it on until a get the spool nice and full - but not to the point where the line hits the reel body. Cut the backing there,and take it all back off the reel. Reverse it - attach the backing with an arbor knot, and wind it all back on.
A little more work, but I end up with the new line spooled just how I want it

OK dryflyguy, help a newbe out and tell me why you put the backing on the reel, then take it off,reverse, and respool.
Thanks!!
Sean

To measure how much backing he needs.

If you put too much on, when you put the fly line on it overflows and you can't turn the reel. If you put too little on, well, I haven't really found a major downside! The minor downside is that your radius is a little smaller, hence you can't reel in quite as quick, you're stressing your line a little more, and it's a little more likely to take a set if you don't use it often. I think it also has a little more tendency to wind on loosely and bind, or maybe it's that I'm more likely to allow loose turns (because there's space).

Toofish wrote:
OK dryflyguy, help a newbe out and tell me why you put the backing on the reel, then take it off,reverse, and respool.
Thanks!!
Sean

The idea is to fill the spool out nicely without overfilling it.
Reels come with a capacity chart, showing how much backing would be required with a certain weight of line to do that. But without the fancy spooling machine to measure it out, it's a bit of a hassle IMO.
I find it easier to just reverse it

To tie the backing to the reel i always had luck with just a regular old slip knot , have any of you folk ever been into a fish that took the whole line and all the backing?

Not on fly gear, saw the knot briefly on a spinning reel many years ago fishing for weak fish when something larger took my offering and decided to swim to England!!

Wrap the backing twice around the spool and tie an arbor knot.

http://www.animatedknots.com/arbor/index.php

In my experience with the backing and how much to put on i gotta be honest and nsay that a good answer to that part of your question would also help me out and im no beginner but even after doin this for over 50 years i still go hit and miss with the backing and not all reels instructions are correct so................................someone help me and CWE24 out with this THANKS

The easy way is take your reel to a fly shop and have them spool it for your on their line winder.

Plan B is look up the line capacity on-line or in the manual and follow that. Here is the capacity of the Drift 3 mentioned by the OP: http://www.redington.com/fly-fishing-reels/drift/

If you cannot do the above, winding the line on first and winding the backing over it will likely cause you to twist both the line and backing taking it off and create a real mess.

Before I used a line winder and digital counter, I used a big spool of parachute cord (you can use any heavy line on a spool) to fill the reel and temporarily wind the fly line over it. I used a small piece of masking tape to mark the spool to the proper fill level of backing, carefully wind the fly line back on its original spool and fill the spool up with backing to that level. If you take you time to get it right, it will work just fine. HTH.

Afish and dryflyguy have it right. If you want to do it yourself, and don't have a line winder, you can do it yourself easily. Having someone to help you with this makes things easier.

These 10 steps apply to a weight forward fly line. A double taper line makes things easier, as you don't have to "flip" the fly line around.

How to set up line and backing on a reel.

1 – using a small piece of masking tape, tape the end of the fly line to the arbor of the reel. Most new fly lines have a sticker attached to this end that says something like “attach this end to the reel”. This end is the opposite end from where you attach your leader.

2 – put a pencil through the center hole of the fly line spool, and hold either end of the pencil with your toes. In lieu of this, have another person hold the pencil at either end. Keeping some pressure on the outer ends of the fly line spool helps control tangles.

3 – wind the fly line onto the spool.

4 – when you get to the end of the fly line, you may have a loop on the end if your line comes with a welded loop. If not, just take your backing and tie an overhand knot with the backing to the end of the fly line, or to the loop. This is a temporary knot, so don't cinch it down too tight. You'll want to slide/cut it off later...

5 – using the pencil technique to hold the backing spool, guide the backing from side to side as you wind to ensure it winds evenly. Stop winding when the backing is 1/8 to ¼ inch from the reel frame (top and bottom). You'll need this clearance when fishing, as you can't always reel line on evenly, and high spots can occur. Cut the backing between the reel and backing spool at this point.

6 – Take the reel outside, and have someone else hold the end of the backing securely while you walk away from them, unspooling the line as you go. Depending on how much room you have, you may have to walk back to your helper and have them hold the line nearer the reel again. Repeat this until all the backing and fly line are unwound from the reel. Let the line and backing lay neatly on the ground. You can do this indoors, but make sure the “loops” of line are laid neatly on the floor, side to side, so you don't get tangles when reeling back on.

7 – cut or pull off the temporary knot at the fly line/backing connection. Attach the backing to the now empty reel arbor with an arbor knot. Wind the backing onto the reel evenly.

8 – attach the remaining end of the backing to the running line end of the fly line with a nail knot. The running line end of the fly line usually has a sticker attached that says something like “attach this end to reel” when new. It is the opposite end of the fly line from the end you attach your leader to.

9 – wind the line onto the reel completely.

10 – attach your leader to the end of the fly line using whatever method you prefer. Wind the leader on the reel, and you're done.

To tie the backing to the fly line, I prefer the Albright knot to the nail knot. It's an easy knot to tie. The only thing you have to pay attention to is getting the loops to tighten down so that they slip slowly along the fly line when they cinch up, and not over each other.

http://www.animatedknots.com/albright/index.php

I like to set up line on my fly reels by winding it on backward- I attach the front end of the fly line to the arbor with a simple slip knot, wind it on, tie on the backing with an Albright knot, and wind on enough backing so that it gets to within 1/2" of the spool rim. Then I pull off all of the line manually, winding it around something in wide loops- I like to use my bed posts, they take up about 3 yards per loop. That keeps the line from curling and tangling.

Then I find the backing end and tie it to the spool with an arbor knot, crank the line on, and I'm set. I pay attention to putting the backing on evenly and fairly tightly. I also reel the fly line on evenly, but not so tightly, because if it's too tight it tends to kink up. At the end of the process, I want to have the end of the line inside of the spool, so it can slip on and off of the reel axle. And I don't want to have to wind it tight in order to allow it to do that.

I tie a perfection loop at the beginning of the backing and then make a slip connection, noting the direction the reel will wind so that it cinches against the arbor. Just push the line through the perfection loop , spread the newly formed loop and put it around the arbor:

Attachments

• BackingKnot.jpg
    BackingKnot.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 5
I like to put a little bit of tension on my line and backing when first winding it on my reel. If you have too much slack then the line won't really sit right on your reel, especially after having a fish pull some line in on you. So I will typically gently stand on the line (make sure you have socks on) while winding both backing and line on to give a bit of pressure and let the line lay nice on the reel.

Back