Assuming we will see BWO, little Black caddis, and little brown stone flies in next 2 weeks?

Fish Sticks

Fish Sticks

As many have commented we have already seen little black stone flies 6 weeks just a day or two after Christmas. Is anyone seeing the above species out there yet?

In the case of BWO's it might be a case of "still" rather than yet. Early January hatches aren't that uncommon after a mild December.

I saw little brown stones a week ago.

Yea I am guessing on the big 4-5 brown trout limestoners that this weekend if any thibg is taken mid column as wets or on the surface briefly mid day it will be olives if its not midges.

In the case of BWO's it might be a case of "still" rather than yet. Early January hatches aren't that uncommon after a mild December.

I saw little brown stones a week ago.
If i see little black caddis in Jan and though im going to be suprised

Little black caddis in late winter or early Spring is a new one for me. What size are they? I think of little black caddis after the Grannom and frankly close to sulphurs.

Little black caddis in late winter or early Spring is a new one for me. What size are they? I think of little black caddis after the Grannom and frankly close to sulphurs.
Ive seen little black stones size 18, dec 27th and 29th

I ve seen them (little black Caddis) in March, April or May. I'd say size 18

Little black caddis: Chimarra is a genus of little black caddisflies in the family Philopotamidae.

1Z8LUZGL4ZUHVHEHJH6HBH2HZRNH9ZHL5Z0L4Z4HCHMHAHIHDH9H3H9HNZ8LPZRLVH7HDH8H6ZGLWZLLWZ8LRRUH1ZML

As for mild winter/ cold winter debate.... what I've noticed over the last 10-15 years is a shift in seasons. Doesn't seem to get cold until December and then stay colder through end of April. Seems like it has shifted a month. Also, March and April used to be quite wet months but it doesn't seem like that's the case anymore. If the rain comes, late May through late June which is messed up. Please use last 10 years of the jam as a measuring stick for late May rainfall 😁

The Chimarra larva is orangish and is a good imitation for the early season. It can be effective as early as Feb some years. Size 16 or 18. Simple fly to tie ... not much to it.

I've never done well on top during that hatch.

There was a very heavy hatch of little brown stoneflies on Gunpowder Falls today. (Actually, they were ovipositing, not hatching.) The fish were all over them. If I had managed to land every trout that grabbed my fly, I would have had a 20+ fish day. As it happened, I only had to unhook five. I guess I'm out of practice.

I have seen olives hatching in March and fish eating them even during a snowstorm. I never see fish eating those black caddis. I assume they may hatch mostly at night. One time I shined my light on Penns Creek at night and they were all over the water. One of the early hatches of spring are the Black Quills and they are a good one to look for.

I never see fish eating those black caddis. I assume they may hatch mostly at night. One time I shined my light on Penns Creek at night and they were all over the water.
I had a great day fishing over them on Falling Spring about 20 years ago. They were masked by an early sulfur hatch, and until I noticed the little black caddis, I wasn't catching anything.

What you saw at Penn's probably wasn't a hatch. Caddis will swarm over a stream a few inches above the water every evening for weeks before they actually get around to egg laying. They're unavailable to trout during these swarms.

Back