Assateauge Island VA

hunter1

hunter1

I'm heading to A.I.VA for a week soon. I always surf fish there, this time I would like to FF, I have all the gear. But was wondering were to start . I'll be on the VA side. Toms cove area. Any suggestions would be help full. Thanks.

For summertime in that area I'd expect to see mainly small bluefish and flounder in the surf. This would be a good game for a 7 or 8WT and some small streamers - think Clousers around 2" in length or smaller.

Dave's advice echoes what I found a few weeks back in the Outer Banks. Small clousers about 2 inch or even shorter were the ticket and lots of bluefish. I didn't have a stripping basket and was very happy to have a 9 weight that was faster action to help me chuck some stuff with the crashing waves constantly pulling on my line.

Had someone ask about this area on another forum recently, I've fly fished there a few times. Not in the surf, but in various spots around the island. Here's what I posted on the other site.

From shore, try around the pier at Memorial Park for small black sea bass, flounder, and snapper blues. The sea bass hang out around the pier pilings and will definitely tug at your flies if they're around. Also be sure to check out the fishing pier at the west side of downtown waterfront park. You can catch snapper blues, hickory shad, and schoolie stripers at night there (structure + dock lights + current...good stuff). During daylight hours you'll be able to find needlefish and toadfish, if that's your thing.

If you can get a kayak and get into some of the channels between marshy areas, there should be puppy drum around. If flies aren't working out, break out some light spinning gear and use bloodworms, you can catch white perch and croaker in the deeper holes.

As far as flies, small clousers will catch everything, just like Dave and jifigz said above - keep them short and sparsely tied. The primary food is glass minnows and there aren't a whole lot of large fish around of any species, except maybe flounder. you can try a little bigger and heavier clousers for the little sea bass and for flounder. I didn't find color to matter very much. Did well with white/gray with a splash of red in the front of the fly. Your standard chart/white will work just fine too.

Just go ask Jim and Pete at Capt'n Steves

Back