Assateague Virginia fly fishing

hunter1

hunter1

I'm heading down to A.I. VA next month for a week. I'm guessing Tom's cove would be the only place to fly fish there. I tried looking up past post, but didn't have any luck. Info appreciated. Thanks. :)

HUNTER,
I was just at Assateaque for one day two weeks ago and it was so windy that I gave up trying to row around. I wish I had spent my time surf fly fishing as I had hear that there were some spotty Bluefish here and there.
I wish you the best and am hoping for glowing reports from your exploits.
I recommend the Atlantic Hotel in Berlin MD for dinner a (few miles away). Fabulous combinations of great food.

Thanks Baron. I have a place to stay at in Horntown. I'll let you all know how I do.

I remember discussing this on here not long ago and I also can't find that post. Strange.

I've had decent fishing at two places there. First is Downtown Waterfront Park in Chincoteague. on a moving tide at low light there are tons of fish here, mostly tiny snapper blues, but occasionally shad and schoolies show up. Night time can be good.

The other is veterans memorial park, snapper blues and little black sea bass like to hang out under the fishing pier. Caught both on clousers. On spin tackle I've found this to be a good spot for flounder. They'll take clouser minnows too, but not sure that spot lends itself to targeting flounder on the fly.

hunter1 wrote:
I'm heading down to A.I. VA next month for a week. I'm guessing Tom's cove would be the only place to fly fish there. I tried looking up past post, but didn't have any luck. Info appreciated. Thanks. :)

While this isn't specific to A-teague, my general advice to FFers visiting mid-Atlantic beaches in summer is to embrace the early mornings and take your fly rod for a walk.

The crowds are heavy once the sun gets high and the wind and surf are often heavier.

However, if you walk a beach at daybreak it's a magical experience and there is a good chance there may be fluke and snapper blues right in the wash and they will readily eat a fly. A small green over white Clouser is tough to beat. If you're lucky you might encounter schoolie stripers, Spanish macs, reds, or speckled trout (of course, YMMV as this is surf fishing and is always hit or miss).

You don't have to cast far, esp. for fluke as they are often right in the suds.

On the bay side I caught perch on small yellow Clousers and also on a small yellow bugger. I was also using Estaz headed worms and the fish ruined them by breaking off the tails.

Dave mentions the crowds.........They are bad, but I'd take them anyway over the Skeeters. Whompers, Yo!

One rods 'Huge' is another rods 'Tiny'. I was using a stiff 6 and there wasn't much of a challenge on perch. Switched to a 7.6" 6wt noodle and had some fun.

Thanks guys. I have a place on the bayside. I have a 9.5 9 wt for the beach and jetties. I'm bringing a 7wt and an 8 wt also. Thanks again.

Sounds like fun. I was hoping for flounder but it turns out that it was me that was floundering. Best Wishes!

Back