Assassin 1/0 tied in hand

eunanhendron

eunanhendron

My first venture to in hand tying. I started this one on christmas day, but with visitors over the holiday period i struggled to find time to finish it until today. I selected this fly as it seems to be relatively simple, and it was up until the wing. i went with a mixed wing as it seemed to me it would be easier to mount, particularly with waxed thread. I"ve not tied many mixed wings, so i need to work on my mixed wing formulation and formation.

I took photos through the process of tying the fly. I think i used about 20 pieces of thread, maybe more, as i kept breaking them.
Wish i'd done a few things different, rib twisted, wing kinda sparse, head got out of hand, and i didnt bother to varnish it as i'll likely strip the fly to reuse this old hook.
Obviously, i used tons of wax, which didnt really pose any problems when handling materials.

Anyways. here are the photos, the finished article at the end.
I think i'll be doing a few more in hand this year.

Raw materials
20131225_150654.jpg

Gut Finished
20131225_151925.jpg

Tip, Tag, Tail and veils
20131225_202102.jpg

Body, Rib, just waiting for hackle.
20131226_195406.jpg

Clearly I had a pretty good grip on the hook
20131226_194524.jpg

Hackle and throat on. I ended up losing a lot of throat fibers from waxing thread, as they got caught in the wax.
20140111_200438.jpg

Wing on, kinda sparse.... but ok I think.
20140112_173848.jpg

Roof and cheeks
20140112_175422.jpg

Topping. Probably could have selected smaller JC too.
20140112_175709.jpg

I didnt finish the head as it got a bit big, and i'll likely strip the hook to reuse it in the future.
2014-01-12-18-52-03-819.jpg

Awesome!

I'm by far an expert, but that looks good to me.

I noticed the hook looks to have no eye, is there a reason for that?

Nice job Eunan. Looks much better than I could do with a vise! Did it feel awkard, and if so, did it eventually feel normal?

Nicely done, I like the imprint on your forefinger , but you didn't crimp the barb!

FrequentTyer wrote:
Nice job Eunan. Looks much better than I could do with a vise! Did it feel awkard, and if so, did it eventually feel normal?

My thoughts exactly. The only thing I would add is this brings a smile to my face. Wonderful!

That is very cool, you really did a nice job.

Really good looking fly. Like others have said. I doubt I could do it with a vice.

GenCon

THanks guys.

Blind eye hooks, have no eye, they were the norm before the advent of eyed hook in the late 19th century. The eyes were formed with twisted silk worm gut, as i have used here.

Tying the fly felt different in terms of finding the right grips to hold components in place and securing them, but it became easier as i progressed through the fly.

RE Barbs, i generally dont crimp them.

Next one will be on a bigger hook, not sure what pattern yet, but likely another mixed wing.

Eunan

Beauuuutiful.

Back