Ascend Kayak Question

raftman

raftman

Hey folks,

I'm looking to buy an Ascend FS12 Kayak. After reading the reviews and hearing from some board members, it sounds like this would be a great craft for the Susky.

I've got a couple of questions:

1. Has any had any experience taking it through rapids? There are a few that I would be regularly going through (Lower Susquehanna, from the Conewago Falls down to Columbia/Wrightsville). I got through them OK with a sit-in, but wasn't sure how much difference there is with a sit-on-top when it comes to stability, etc. Thoughts?

2. How is it to fish from when standing? I'll have an anchor.

3. Do they ever go on sale? This is probably the most important one.... if No, then I get to buy it now :)

Thanks!

- Michael

As far as rapids I'm sure the manufacture has rated it on what it can handle . I have read mixed reviews on this yak on it stability when standing . But if I was you I would save up a little more and get a Wilderness systems Ride or Jackson Coosa .

Thanks for the suggestions Fredrick. Those are a bit out of my (and, more importantly, my old lady's) price range.

I almost bought one but found an Eagle Talon used for a better price.

If you are looking to stand... look at something like the Field and stream shadow caster. Amazing seat, good price.

Thanks man! Where did you happen to find one used? I've been scouring Craigslist, but don't see many...

raftman wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions Fredrick. Those are a bit out of my (and, more importantly, my old lady's) price range.

I'm sure you could get one used fro cheap on craigslist.

I've been looking, but nothing has come up lately.

Just bought an FS12T last week. Only got to fish it once because I was getting the scoot ready for bike week. Was on the river below lock 12, so I hacent run any rappids yet. The boat was great out on the water. Standing and fishing, standing and paddling, seated paddling and transitioning between them was great. I was really pleased with the standing balance. A great boat for the river. Does feel a bit like a one man aircraft carrier, so I'm anxious to see how it is on something a little smaller like the swatty or stoga. Got is shipped to bass pro for free (saved $95) and they gave me a ten dollar gift card. Wish I would've pulled the trigger earlier in the year

Awesome review! Thanks man. I really appreciate it. The 12T is the heavier version of the 12, correct? With more storage?

Do you use a roof carrier or another means to travel with it?

I thought it was the only sit on 12' model they make but I could be wrong. I have a pickup so I just use the rack I made for my 15' cannoe and run it from there to the cab. Taking it out this week (hopefully a few times) I let you know if I have any issues.

You're right... sorry, I was thinking of the 128T.
Thanks for the info! If you happen to go through any rapids, let me know how it does. :)

https://youtu.be/xS_4TgfOPyA

Thanks man!

raftman sent you a pm

Thanks man!

Back