article on new president of pafbc

Commissioners are appointed by the Governor and approved by the State Senate, so I would start by expressing your concerns to Wolf and your State Senator.

troutbert wrote:
The problem has been identified and described.

Now, what can be done about this?

I haven't seen any actions proposed.

What do you think is the problem that has been identified and described?

>>Is the model of governance that the PFBC operates under broken? Are we carrying around a legacy oversight board that stems back to the 1870's?

Is the nature of "independent" state agencies one that results in the type of situation where employees and staff make recommendations but an independent board (of which members may or may not have any qualifications to be making decisions on the recommendations) gets the final up/down vote?>>

It's a three-legged-dog compromise situation, to be sure; and it may be time for PA to re-configure the entire thing and put fisheries and game under the auspices of one of the state resource agencies like everybody else has done. I've seen it work well and I've also seen it become an impediment to sound, biologically-based management.

The thing that always give me pause and keeps me from advocating for this change as the best path is the history of meddling by the legislature. Its been a long, hard slog to get where we are today and it could be completely undone in Harrisburg in a single day over lunch.

So, I don't know what to think, not really...

Yeah and they tell me that trout don't hold over so they need to stock.Matter of fact I wish they would stop the stocking program all together. All it is to the landowner is a nuisance.

Ron

At the start of today’s formal meeting, the Board elected Commissioner Glade Squires as the new president and Commissioner Rocco Ali as vice-president. President Squires resides in Downingtown, Chester County, and represents the PFBC’s Eighth District, which includes Berks, Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Lehigh, Montgomery, Northampton, Philadelphia, and Schuylkill counties.

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/news/2016pr/pfbc2016q3summ.htm

ugh

At least they added a few new wild trout streams

Back