article on new president of pafbc

nymphingmaniac

nymphingmaniac

Mark Nale's column about expected president of FBC BOC and potential impacts on wild trout stream regs

http://www.centredaily.com/sports/outdoors/article88746762.html

Article in link from OP ^ about Glade Squires:

Fish and Boat Commission expected president facing scrutiny, criticism

Squires, Vice President of Fish and Boat Commission, counters accusations

Fly anglers and wild trout advocates concerned

Past actions and current answers send a mixed message

BY MARK NALE

Glade Squires has been a very outspoken — and at times contentious — member of the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission. He was sworn in as a commissioner in October 2010, and is the commission’s current vice president.

Come Tuesday, Squires will likely become the new president of the Board of Commissioners.

What can anglers expect from a Squires-led Commission?

Based on past performance during meeting discussions and his voting record with the commission, Squires has been a strong proponent of the agency’s Cooperative Trout Nursery program and he has opposed what he believes are restrictive fishing regulations. If there is a Class A Wild Trout Stream that he thinks should be stocked, you can count on Squires to vote in favor or even propose the motion.

At the commission’s January meeting Squires made a motion to continue stocking hatchery trout into two newly-designated Class A Wild Trout stream sections — section 14 of Fishing Creek in Clinton County and section 5 of Kishacoquillas Creek in Mifflin County. This was also the staff recommendation for these stream sections.

Squires has been particularly vocal in complaining about the Class A, Trophy-Trout-Artificial-Lures-Only management of a section of Saucon Creek that flows through a park in Bethlehem, Northampton County — within his district. Squires claims that these regulations — which prohibit bait fishing — essentially preclude families and children from fishing in the creek. Even though the stream is loaded with naturally-reproduced brown trout, he proposed stocking the section with rainbow trout and allowing bait fishing.

All of this has made friends with one group of anglers, but put Squires at odds with some fly anglers and many wild trout advocates. Rightly or wrongly so, he has taken a lot of flak on fly-fishing message boards. Chaz MacDonald recently posted on paflyfish about a Squires’ PFBC presidency, “… in my book he will set back fishing in PA 100 years.”

The Mid Atlantic Fly Fishing Guide ran this statement in their June-July 2016 issue: “If … Glade Squires is elected president of the Commission at the July meeting as expected, his avowed mission is to completely do away with all special regulations areas and downgrade any Class A wild trout streams so that they can be temporarily filled with stockers.”

One commissioner even shared privately, “Watch out when Squires is president, there will be a war against wild trout.”

I had the privilege of interviewing Squires a few days ago. When asked about these accusations and other important matters facing the Commission, a different picture seemed to emerge.

Saucon Creek: “I brought that before the Commission because I received a petition from local residents who wanted a change,” Squires said. “We addressed Saucon Park because of their request. We are going to discuss that at our next meeting, but I really don’t believe that there will be any change in Saucon Park. I am not personally disappointed about this, but I think that it will be a disappointment to the people who brought the petition.”

What about you threatening to take a group of kids fishing bait in Saucon Creek — defying the special regulations?: “There was resistance from a number of areas for the Commission to even consider the petition about Saucon Park,” Squires explained. “We live in a democracy and the Commission also runs that way. I think that everyone has a right to question things. That statement was just me planting a flag — telling those individuals that we would listen and that we would explore options and allow staff and others to determine what is the best course.”

Criticism in Mid Atlantic Fly Fishing Guide: “My first response is to laugh, because none of us commissioners would have that level of authority to do [away with special regulations and downgrade Class A waters]. It is completely up to staff. Staff makes recommendations about regulations and brings them before the commissioners. My past comments about special regulations have probably been misconstrued. That quote [from the Mid Atlantic Fly Fishing Guide] is totally off base.”

Special regulations: “I feel that our regulations are rather complicated for people to figure out where they can fish and where they can’t. When you are trying to figure where you are on a stream, the special regulations have put a layer of complexity into it. I would support simplifying regulations and I’d like to see a more specific description of where each area is. People need to know exactly where they are whether they are fishing flies, bait or artificial lures. There has been a good first cut, but I think that there is more work to be done to simplify regulations. I’m showing my age, but I remember when the regulation booklet was real small. You could put it in your tackle box or fishing vest.

“I’ve been out patrolling with conservation officers that have come across people in special regulations areas — maybe they parked somewhere else and just wandered in. Some were written up because they took fish out with bait and some were warned because they hadn’t kept any fish. They always say, ‘I don’t know where I am supposed to be.’ We need to find a way to simplify the regulations and get rid of the complexity.”

What about wild trout?: “I think that [classifying streams Wild Trout or Class A Wild Trout] is a great thing. The effort to identify these streams has been tremendous, and we have had help from a number of individuals and colleges. The real driver has been the development of the gas industry. I think that it is great that we can identify these streams and put them aside and protect them. It seems like we have 99 new ones to classify each meeting, and the list continues to grow. I think that this is completely in line with the mission of the Fish and Boat Commission.”

Stocking Class A Wild Trout Waters: “I have voted to stock some class A waters because I think that those sections of streams have demonstrated that they could be stocked and that there was a balance between the wild and the stocked trout. It is a matter of providing angling opportunities. The stream has shown that it can be stocked and still have wild trout, so I think that it is important to maintain that balance.”

Interviewing Squires proved to be an interesting exchange regarding commission practices. However, I have to say that certainly left me wondering.

Is Squires the anti-wild-trout, anti-special-regulations guy who might set trout fishing back a century, or he is a mild-mannered pragmatist who will help guide the Commission into the future? Will the “real” Glade Squires please stand up?

Mark Nale, who lives in the Bald Eagle Valley, is a member of the Pennsylvania Outdoor Writers Association and can be reached at MarkAngler@aol.com

Link to source: http://www.centredaily.com/sports/outdoors/article88746762.html

How is the president of the commissioners chosen?

Is it simply by a vote of the current commissioners?

Or does anyone else (governor, legislators?) have a say in it?

Good article, for a spincaster. :-D

In all seriousness, it is very possible the doomsday prophecies have been overstated by the wild fish crowd. I buy his statements in the article that declassifying tons of class A's and undoing the the work (and use of resources) to identify them probably isn't going to happen. I think more likely we'll two general trends under this guy's helm:

1. Less special regs areas. I think that is clear. Like it or not, this is coming. I'm generally ok with it, outside of some heritage type places - personal opinion.

2. Some modest increase of stocking in Class A sections, or at least continuing to allow stocking in some popular sections that are ID'd (or finally acknowledged by the PFBC) to be Class A. These will probably be popular sections of larger, widely known streams like the ones mentioned in the article. You're not gonna see your favorite tiny Gemmie trickle that no one else fishes stocked. To his point, the streams listed as examples are high biomass wild Brown Trout streams that have sustained this over stocking and heavy pressure...not saying I agree with him, but his argument is at least somewhat supported by fact.

One potentially positive way to look at this is that the stockies are generally much easier to catch than the wild Browns in these streams, so having the stockies present to be caught around opening day may be ok. After the first couple weeks of the season, once freezers are full, on stream crowds drop dramatically. For example, my group had the hole above the lower 322 bridge on Kish to ourselves at the Jam one evening this year. Didn't catch any stockies on the sulphurs, but caught plenty of wild Browns.

The idea that stocking trucks are gonna show up at every Class A in the state and dump in a bounty of pellet eaters and set the wild Trout movement back 100 years is absurd. There's a finite supply of stockies and they won't get wasted on a seldom fished Class A, which most of the list objectively is.

troutbert wrote:
How is the president of the commissioners chosen?

Is it simply by a vote of the current commissioners?

Or does anyone else (governor, legislators?) have a say in it?

The Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission is an independent administrative commission consisting of ten competent citizens of the Commonwealth who are appointed by the Governor by and with the advice and consent of a majority of the Pennsylvania Senate. Commissioners serve for terms of four years.
Two members of the Commission serve at large and are experienced in boating and water safety education. The remaining eight members each represent a specific geographic district. They are persons well informed on the subjects of conservation, restoration, fish and fishing, and boats and boating.

The Commission ordinarily meets four times a year. All meetings at which agency business is conducted are open to the public. In addition to full Commission meetings, committees may conduct public meetings throughout the year. At the July meeting each year, the Commission elects from its members a president and vice-president.

http://www.fishandboat.com/comm.html

The regulation book fits into my smart phone quite nice. Everyone I know has a smart phone.
Not reading the regulations is an excuse.
May be clean up the web page so they are even easier to find would be the answer.

I think the solution is to organize jams to systematically harvest every stocked fish from class A's instantly.

Yeah, people just wander into special regs areas.... Every reg area I've ever seen has been more than adequately posted with signs detailing the regs.

Criticism in Mid Atlantic Fly Fishing Guide: “My first response is to laugh, because none of us commissioners would have that level of authority to do [away with special regulations and downgrade Class A waters]. It is completely up to staff. Staff makes recommendations about regulations and brings them before the commissioners.

The Commissioners DO have that authority.

Staff makes recommendations. The Commissioners make DECISIONS.

The staff, i.e. the fisheries managers and biologists, right up to John Arway, president of the PFBC, cannot over-rule the Commissioners.

That's the way the system is designed in PA.

The Commissioners could decide they want to stock Class A streams like Saucon Creek. Or Spring Creek or Penns Creek.

They could to that. They have the authority to do so.

Do the Commissioners routinely overrule or reject staff recommendations regarding stocking/management policies? Do they do so once in a while? Have they ever done so?

This is neither a leading question, nor is it deliberately framed in such a way as to make a point.

I really don't know and am asking...

I have no idea if this likely change in the Presidency of the Commission is going to be bad news for wild trout management in PA. I will say though that Mark (Nale) has good reporter's instincts and an ability to get to the roots of controversy and drag it out of the shadows and into the light. His questions to Squires were direct and did not offer a lot of wiggle room. I saw nothing in Squires' responses that rang imminent danger bells. I could be wrong. If I am, it would only be the 7th or 8th time today. I'm no stranger to being wrong...

So, I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I'll just close by once again raising something from the last "Look Out for Commissioner Squires!" thread: The amount of pressure staff and the Commissioners experience to make unwise (from our perspective..) decisions about wild trout management is directly related to the Commission's fiscal and funding dilemma. If we want to do what we can to ensure the balance between biological and social management remains at least somewhat tilted in favor of wild trout in this state, the people we need to hammer on without relenting are the folks who sit in the General Assembly. They need to be told to partner with the Commission on finding ways to ensure long term PFBC solvency, whatever it takes. The more of this that happens, the less that staff will be under pressure to make decisions based on revenues rather than good fisheries science.

Now, I'm gonna shutup...:)

It makes me very uneasy that he says
Criticism in Mid Atlantic Fly Fishing Guide: “My first response is to laugh, because none of us commissioners would have that level of authority to do [away with special regulations and downgrade Class A waters]. It is completely up to staff. Staff makes recommendations about regulations and brings them before the commissioners.

I read that as I am in favor of eliminating special regs and class A water wherever possible. However, when I am in charge and don't want to take the blame this is who I will point to. Wouldn't want to be on that staff, maybe I'm just jaded.

Riiiight, cause this won't cause any confusion for anglers and conservation officers:

"Commissioner Glade Squires, of Chester County, suggested the commission stock the creek within the park boundaries with rainbow trout and allow all-tackle fishing for them specifically. The commission could maintain the existing trophy trout rules in regards to brown trout, he said."

And this seems very democratic: "Squires asked if the commission had any obligation to seek out public comment" (in regards to changing the regs).

This is the PA Fish n Boat we're talking about.... Hence why we have such phenomenal fisheries. Any wild fish > Stockos. There's plenty of water cool enough to sustain trout through late fall into late spring. Those that don't have wild populations. Dump the stockos there, please leave our class A's alone as far as stocking is concerned. Kinda salty about this...

Is the model of governance that the PFBC operates under broken? Are we carrying around a legacy oversight board that stems back to the 1870's?

Is the nature of "independent" state agencies one that results in the type of situation where employees and staff make recommendations but an independent board (of which members may or may not have any qualifications to be making decisions on the recommendations) gets the final up/down vote?

I would prefer to not have trout stocked over any Class A population ever. That is my opinion. Anything wild and natural is better than something artificial and man-made in regards to life and species.

The commission needs to start buying small parcels near housing developments, build ponds to house the storm water runoff, and put their stockers in those ponds for all the kiddos. Enough with ruining wild trout streams with stocked rainbows. It's a joke. Sell license to pay pensions = #1 goal. Pats on back from bait fishermen who fill stringers #2 goal.

Maybe the game commission can start raising deer and fence off the state gamelands to raise license sales.

He sounds like an #censor# clown

my problem with state/school pensions are: wages are inline or in excess of civilian jobs; the pensions = the highest wage they received. Civilian jobs don't even come close with 401k's that have tanked due to 9/11 and the great recession. When will their time come too? after they bankrupt taxpayers/users?

My thoughts are they should be doing everything possible to make each individual stream, and the trout in it, the best it can be, regardless of public input. Use science, not public input.

The problem has been identified and described.

Now, what can be done about this?

I haven't seen any actions proposed.

Back