Art Lee

Acristickid

Acristickid

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/03/obituaries/art-lee-fly-fishing.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Fus&action=click&contentCollection=us®ion=stream&module=stream_unit&version=latest&contentPlacement=6&pgtype=sectionfront/

Good stuff from the link above about Art Lee:

In an age when the sport was growing more technical, he (Art Lee) argued that knowing where fish hide, stalking them without spooking them and casting to them perfectly were more important than carrying hundreds of flies to “match the hatch” — or imitate the exact insects on the water.

To say the same thing in fewer words, you can just check out the bumper sticker on Mo's truck > ....it's not the fly.....you suck!

Old time fishing hero to me.

Been wearing a red bandanna around my neck in tribute to him since the early 80's when I met him at a TGF meeting.

RIP Art.

Yes, one of the influential writers when I was relatively young. I can't figure out why I didn't get his book about dry-fly fishing: That was when I tried to get about every book about fly-fishing that I could afford.

Sorry to read of his death.

A sad day for our sport.

I'm of that generation of FFers who came of age in the 80s reading Lee's book on dry flies - the well worn copy I can see in my library as I'm typing this - and articles in FFing Magazine. His wide brimmed hat and chest fly box seemed to me at the time as symbols of a serious FFer. Like Bamboozle, I tried to match his style (I'm still using my chest fly box purchased in 1984).

I was not aware of his close connection with angling artist Galen Mercer.

RIP Art Lee.
The Great Trout Stream in the Sky is getting crowded with teachers.... Lefty's doing a casting seminar so Art will need to take a seat for awhile.

Sad indeed. Fished with him and Galen on the BK and EB 12-15 times one spring. Hung out at his house, had lunch, checked out Galen's paintings. I planted the magnolia at the front of his driveway. It was probably 2' tall when planted but it's 20' tall now. Last time I saw him was at Raimondos in Roscoe. He ate lunch there almost every day. Spoke to him on the phone about 2 years ago and tried to get him to come to the Catskill JAM I'd hosted at the Capra. He said driving at night wasn't good for him and suggested we all join him at Raimondos. We didn't and now really wish we would have.

2 stories I'll always remember:

While fishing with him one evening on the EB, I hooked a hot bow on a rusty spinner. The fish ripped out line and jumped right next to Art who was busy working his own fish. He chuckled and said "I not netting your fish so don't let him beat you up.". 30 minutes later as the sun touched the treetops on the mountain, he said follow me. We went to the tailout which led to a deep / long rapid. He had me Wade out to the middle and shouted instructions. "Stay still and patient. ". I asked what I was fishing to. The water was less than 2' deep, glass flat and not a fish in sight. Art yells, "Look to your right. See the pod feeding right where the water starts to break? That's them. Wait until they feed right up to you. You'll only have to cast it 20' and then hold on.". I stood like a statue for 40 minutes in 50 degree water. The fish eventually reached me and I led him by 3'. The fly was taken without hesitation and then all hell broke loose. When the fish realized it was hooked, it turned. It pushed an awful lot of water as it ran back towards the rapids. I was running out of line / backing and hauled *** after the fish. Needless to say, I broke the fish off in short order. As we crossed the river in the dark, he put his hand on my shoulder and said "I landed one here last spring on a sulphur that was estimated 10-11 pounds. Hoped you'd get the fly in front of one of the good ones...and you did. There's always next time.". Anyone that's floated the EB with me knows the section because I always tell them if the big square boulder on the bank is breaking the surface, the tailout is safe to cross.

RIP art.

Kray: Great stories. Thanks for sharing them with us.

afishinado wrote:
Good stuff from the link above about Art Lee:

In an age when the sport was growing more technical, he (Art Lee) argued that knowing where fish hide, stalking them without spooking them and casting to them perfectly were more important than carrying hundreds of flies to “match the hatch” — or imitate the exact insects on the water.

To me, the above is captain obvious material, but then, I learned by doing, not by reading.

The only fly fishing book I ever bought was Harvey's book. Bought one for a friend as a gift, while George was still around. Then picked up a second off of Ebay for myself. What can I say, I like fishing stories, and George was a great story teller.

The rest of the fly fishing books that I have which I can count on one hand, were gifts. Most are still like new. Except for Dwights book, because it was already used when I got it. ;-) OK, I admit looking up a few streams in there, but mostly to compare to my experiences. ;-)

That said ... I didn't know Art, and likely never met him. But he seemed like a great guy who learned by doing, had a talent for writing, and liked to share. He died way too young. Rest in Peace.

Great stories Krayfish.

I was waiting for Kray to share those stories with everyone. RIP Art.
Great stories Andy.

Really enjoyed Krays stories . Thank you

I was introduced to Art Lee by Ed Van Put in the mid 1960's, We fished together on the Willowemoc at a section we called "The Power Enclosure". He was a very personable fellow and easy to get to know. While we never became fishing buddies I would often see him and Mr. Mercer on the lower East Branch above Fishs Eddy.

I believe I know exactly the tail-out where Andy describes big fish coming up from heavy swift water at night. I used to fish that pool and as real dark approaches you could look down to the lip of the pool, just above the broken water, and see really big fish boiling to whatever duns were on the water. I never landed a fish less than 20" there but I also lost many that would run back in the heavy water, pretty much spool me, and break me off.

Art Lee was a regular fisher all along the Beaverkill in the late 1960's and the 1970's. I used to see him there often at Barnhart's, Hendrickson's, Cairn's, and Wagon Tracks. I'd not seen him though in many years and back in 2009 I posted on a now defunct web forum run by Catskillflies.com about anyone seeing him.

Rest in peace Art.

"Don't cross the current with your line when your waders will do just fine."

I think that's a quote of his.

Back