Are we really still doing this!!???

Despite good brook trout in the SKOOK. One of worst places in PA. Local sportsman’s clubs and, very ironically , conservation organizations are placing
Vibert egg boxes with brown trout in Skook streams!!!!. That county is one of our best chances to keep native brook trout around due to mine shaft effect on water temp in some places/acidity favoring them and keeping browns out(Amd should still be remediated obviously).
Fished a portion of the far upper skuke for the first time last year. Was disappointed to find a bunch of banana trout and stocked rainbows in the stretch I thought would only have brookies.

Fished a portion of the far upper skuke for the first time last year. Was disappointed to find a bunch of banana trout and stocked rainbows in the stretch I thought would only have brookies.
you got STOCK-BLOCKED

Happens to all of us unfortunately, 100 fish put in at bridge hole. High density causes dispersal onto private land where 2 trip a year public who wanted them in first place can’t even catch them. Often times they head up a native brook trout stream and ruin your fishing experience too.

And i’ll add schuyllkill county headwaters stocks in the class A section in new Philadelphia I believe to sell those buttons for cOnSeRvAtIoN

And i’ll add schuyllkill county headwaters stocks in the class A section in new Philadelphia I believe to sell those buttons for cOnSeRvAtIoN
Yeah, I was just downstream of there. That explains it. It does make me wonder how bad the water quality really is if the stockies can survive into July...and suggests to me that browns from lower in the watershed can't be far behind

Yeah, I was just downstream of there. That explains it. It does make me wonder how bad the water quality really is if the stockies can survive into July...and suggests to me that browns from lower in the watershed can't be far behind
Oh yea i catch what look like wild native brook trout all the way down to schuyllkill haven. It’s just not enough for them i guess so they get to make the unilateral decision to spread invasive competitors in the whole cold water ecosystem. These clubs often put not where they say they are two I bet you their stocking over the class A section too. Wild wild west and we could lose this fish in Pa within 100 years. Unbelievable

So if I understand correctly none of you actually know what is going on here but have come to many conclusions.

So if I understand correctly none of you actually know what is going on here but have come to many conclusions.
Its a holiday today, can’t confirm with the conservation district unless your holding out on their home phone number. I am pretty sure its a project but im going to find out…..Just not at a bbq today.

In the past the group that was stocking adult RT trout in the Schuylkill was doing so in Middleport and then there was an addition or shift to Cumbola after the habitat improvement project was completed behind the ball field at the lower end of the village. Again, I only ever heard of RT being stocked.

The Class A stretch is well upstream from there.

Sarce, the river is cold, but the pH, Fe, and coal fines/sand vary considerably from location to location.

Last edited:
Back