Are there any Panfish Flyfishermen out there

I'm new to furled leaders but as I understood it the leader tapered to 16lb test and then a ring added. It just seems like a simple affair to add the tippet of choice. I'll fish this and let you know how it works.

Must I use Flotant on furled leaders when pursuing warm water species generally.

by Baron on 2020/5/19 11:08:17

Must I use Flotant on furled leaders when pursuing warm water species generally.

It would depend on what the furled leader is made of. The ones I have are made from tying thread, so I treat them with floatant each year. If they're made from mono or fluorocarbon possibly. It wouldn't hurt especially if you're fishing top water.

Well, I'm trying to be neutral. maybe you can imagine since you fish at Shahola, the conditions at Towhee and also Gouldsboro are similar. The bottom fills in with Millefoil while the top covers with Lilies and Algae. I want the lures that are not surface lures (i.e. Buggers) to remain sub surface and the floaters (frogs) to float.
The tapered furled leaders I've looked at are mono and my tippet is 10lb mono. I know that the tippet is rather neutral. I guess I'll buy the flotant and if I need it I'll have it. Or perhaps I'll keep one fly rod with a floating line and the other not.

Back