Aquaz Wadertek 5 Chest Waders

L

LBCaddis

I am wondering if anyone has had any experience with these waders. Apparently this is a Japaneese company that has been around since 1986 and I see some limited US distribution. I picked up a pair of their top of the line Wadertek 5 Chest waders from Sierra Trading Post on close out. MSRP on the waders is $359 and with a coupon code I got them for $143. The Aqualex Aquatek fabric that they use has very good ratings for waterproofness and breathability. 3 layer uppers and 5 layer bottoms. They have lots of nice pockets and fleece lined neoprene booties. The waders have arrived and they fit nice. So I guess my real question is how durable are they?? I'm a long time Patagonia guy so this is a real change for me especially in regards to the price.

I believe they make the waders for Patagonia. I'm getting ready to order a pair of their pants waders as they do custom work. Being 6'9" tall makes it challenging for waders. I had Simms make me a custom pair least year but paid out the wazoo.

Hey LBCaddis I have a question for you. I just ordered a pair of the Aquaz Wadertek V's from Sierra Trading Post also and I was wondering if the waders in the picture are the ones you recieved?

Apparently there is an older version of the Wadertek 5's that doesn't have the chest pockets. The picture on STP shows the newer version with the chest pockets and I'm hoping that's what actually comes in the mail.

Thanks,

Hey lewis_aw

Yes they have a large zippered exterior pocket and two zippered hand warmer pockets.

Also a large flip out zippered pocket with two Velcro mesh pockets.

All in all a very nice design.

I've decided to keep them for when my Patagonia's wear out.

Great! Thanks for the info LBCaddis. The price is pretty darn good for a 5 layer wader. Hopefully they are as durable as some of the other multi-layer higher-end waders.

And it sounds like your first impressions are pretty good huh? I haven't really found any reviews on them, maybe after the upcoming fishing season I'll try and post something on the experience with them.

I ordered a pair of aquaz trinity chest waders off of sierra trading post as they were on sale and they came in today. I am excited to see how they hold up, they seem to be well made especially the booty seems and where the booty connects to the waders. will post again after I get them in the water a few days.

So it sounds like there are three of us posting here who have recently acquired the Aquaz 5 chest waders from Sierra. We all seem to have the same opinion that they seem to fit great and have nice features. It will be interesting to hear everyone's on stream experiences. I am still recovering from surgery on a herniated disc but I have a doctor appointment next week and hope my first outing for the year will be April 18th.

So I wanted to give an updated review after a year of fishing with my Aquaz WadertekV waders.

First of all I do think their sizing is a bit off. They are not as nice-fitting/athletic as the Simms G3's. There is a lot of extra material in the legs and chest. I am 6'2, 220 lbs, wear a size 12 shoe, and athletic build. I ordered a size XL which I expected to be a little large on me but I need the extra room as I live in Alaska and fishing in November can be kinda cold up here. The extra room is nice to have when i'm layering fleece over long underwear and multiple thick socks but its a bit too much. That being said, I would rather have too much material than not enough material which would constrict movement.

Durability is top notch. The five layer material from the waist down has taken a beating over this last year and doesn't have a mark on it. On one occasion I tripped and my lower leg slammed down onto a sharp base of a broken branch sticking up off a log. My full body weight hit the broken branch stub and slid along the length of my lower leg. When I got up I 100% expected to see a huge gash in the waders but all I saw was a small scuff that was barely noticeable. I was extremely relieved and blown away that they didn't rip. I've hiked many many miles in these waders, bush-wacked through the thickest woods I've ever fished, and put them to the ultimate test spring steelhead fishing on the Situk and these waders held up perfectly. The material doesn't shed water quite as well as they did when I first bought them, but that's to be expected for the abuse they have gone through. And all for $160 on sierra trading post!

Your extended review based on extended use is much appreciated.

I picked up the Trinity and the Wadertek 5 probably at about the same time you did. I have used the Trinity extensively and like it very much with no signs of failure or even that much wear. The Trinity does have inside leg seams, so wear of that area may be a matter of time only.

The Wadertek 5 has outside leg seams. I have used them maybe 10 times, mostly in colder weather conditions. It does seem very durable but I haven't put it through the paces to the extent you have. I denfinitely perspire more in the Wadertek, but that is to be expected from the heavier material.

Very pleased with both. I do find it odd that the more expensive Wadertek 5 has rather flimsy buckles and straps compared with the Trinity, and the Trinity booties are more contoured and seem higher quality as well.

I would buy both again.

The only Aquaz full (vs. waist high) wader I see offered in the US now is the Rogue model in both bootfoot and stocking. It seems to be a very lightweight material in comparison. I have not seen or tried these on.

http://www.yellowstoneangler.com/gear-review/2013-wader-shootout-best-waders-simms-g4-simms-g3-patagonia-rio-gallegos-orvis-silver-sonic-dan-bailey-guide-ultra-redington-aquaz-cabelas-bootfoots

after a year of about average use (30-40 outings) in situations from brush busting up a brookie stream to being able to park streamside I am very pleased with my aquaz trinity waders. my only complaint would be the legs are a little baggy. I have had no leaks, they seem to be pretty breathable and they are comfortable. the shoulder straps and built in back support with the wading belt are a nice feature. I got these on sale on stp for about $120 and I feel they were well worth that price and I will look to buy this brand again in the future whenever these develop a leak.

Back