Anyone tryin smallies?

• Thread starter salvelinusfontinalis
  • Start date
Tuscarora State Park 55 degrees on Wednesday.

First smallie from the Susquehanna for me this year.

4BECDDA36BA94B60900E.jpeg

6254D19BC9514361AB96.jpeg

One heck of a fish.
What type of fly.

One heck of a fish.
What type of fly.

It’s in the fish’s mouth.

Nice!
Ill be back at smallies this week hopefully!

Hoping the river doesn’t get blown out again this week...we’ll see

Does anyone think the fish are spawning now? I wanted to hit the Swatara today but won't if they are spawning.

riverwhy wrote:
Does anyone think the fish are spawning now?

I would assume so.

Like trout in the fall, one needs to make a personal decision about bass fishing during the spawn. Not all bass are spawning at this time and there are ways one can ethically fish.

I generally don't target bass from around the last week of April until early to mid-June. There are so many other fishing opportunities in May that I give the bass a break.

Dave_W wrote:
riverwhy wrote:
Does anyone think the fish are spawning now?

I would assume so.

Like trout in the fall, one needs to make a personal decision about bass fishing during the spawn. Not all bass are spawning at this time and there are ways one can ethically fish.

I generally don't target bass from around the last week of April until early to mid-June. There are so many other fishing opportunities in May that I give the bass a break.

I do pretty much the same as Dave stated above.

The smallie spawn has been tough because of the weather with high flows during and after the spawn in the last few years.

It's especially important to allow spawning bass to do their thing successfully for the long term.

Anyway, here's to a good spawn this spring and a good fishing year for river smallies.

Here is an article with really good info about the bass spawn >

https://www.themeateater.com/conservation/wildlife-management/what-are-the-effects-of-catching-spawning-bass

Back