Anyone Hitting the Salt?

Numbers may or may not actually be down but the reason they appear to be down is because the fish are changing their migratory pattern coupled with the bigger ones are not coming in as close to land as much as before. Shore fishermen are catching less, boat fishermen are catching more.

I personally think the shoreline devastation caused by Hurricane Sandy has a lot to do with it. Folks are frequenting the normal spots that have historically produced fish and the fish aren't there in prior numbers and sizes and they conclude (rightfully) that the numbers are down. Structure has changed. Structural changes equal current changes. Stripers are creatures of current and what folks don't know is there are lots of fish showing up at places that never had many fish before and at times they shouldn't and in salt nobody posts a fishing report telling everyone where they can be found. This change of pattern seems to happen after major hurricanes. I remember after Hurricane Gloria in 1985 fishing changed. And the same thing happened after Hurricane Agnes in 1972.

As for fish being late, they are, and the degree of late is relative to your point of reference. The NE migratory pattern is fish first appear along the mainland oceanfronts and then move well into the inland coves, inlets and rivers before moving back out to the oceanfront and off shore "bass alley". Last year at this time the bigger fish arrived in the inlets around May 1st and had moved out by May 20th. This year the baby schoolies didn't start appearing until around May 15th with the first bigger ones arriving the last few days of May. The shrimp are still spawning in rivers and that is generally over by now. The silversides were all over at this time last year, they are just starting to show now. Sand eels were abundant, they are just showing in numbers along north facing beaches. It was a very cold spring and water temps across the board were running 5-7 degrees cooler this year in early May than the last decade. What is further deceiving is during the last decade the fish have been arriving early and this early arrival is now thought of as normal. It isn't per say, the fish this year were two weeks late compared to the pre last decade historical normal schedule but four weeks late compared to the "normal" schedule established by the last decade.

The moon cycle on tides has a tremendous effect. The full moon of April generally starts the spring frenzy in the coves when water temps are right but the water the temps were not right at the time of the full moon in April so nothing happened. The temps then became right but the moon cycle wasn't so things got delayed until the May full moon, which was around May 13th. Last year the April full moon was around April 24th, this year it was around April 15th. So what this means is at full moon in April this year water temps were 10-12 degrees cooler than last year at full moon.

Last fall, as an example, the stripers held in the Cape Cod canal a lot later than normal and typically when they will migrate south the RI and CT shoreline will get a nice run but they stayed off shore completely bypassing both states, had a brief appearance at Montauk, and then showed up on the Jersey shore in full force. By all accounts the fall run along the shore in NJ was one of the best in years. Fall fishing on the Cape was excellent. However, fall fishing along the shore in RI and CT was one of the worst in years yet off shore fishing in "bass alley" was one of the best in years.

Ones assessment of the the state of the fishery all depends where you fish. I do believe there is overharvest and I do believe the overall numbers are down but not to the extent most think. This spring I caught more twelve to fourteen inch schoolies than ever before, which is a great sign for future years.

Some good motivation Vcregular - thanks.

Johnstevens,
I like your points and ideas about angler perceptions and striped bass movements. Good stuff. Coastal fish migration patterns are complex and sometimes we fishermen can jump to conclusions - often widely off from reality - when what we're seeing this year doesn't jibe with our past experiences.

Perhaps the large number of small bass that anglers seem to be reporting up and down the northeast coast this year is a reflection of the "coming of age" of the enormous 2011 YOY cohort(?). The sizes I'm hearing about, fish in the 13-18" class, are about right for that age class.

Interesting.

Nice report and pics VCR.

Agreed. Very interesting/informative post JS.

Thanks johns. Guess I'm going to have to buy a bigger fly rod since I love striper fishing, off shore fishing, surf fishing and my daughter just moved to Boston which will extend my range a tad. Great advice on taking the spinning rod to use as a search tool.great post, I'm gonna have to read them a couple more times.

VC looks like a solid trip was there a few years back in august. had a blast and caught some good fish. most of my fishing was done around menemsha. mix of fly and spin. spin I was just slinging eels but the inlet was money with the fly. its hard to not grab some eels when you know there are 40 pound fish around.

I am headed for the Cape first thing tomorrow morning for five days. I've been really looking forward to this trip. The past two weeks have literally crawled along for me. The information that I have learned from this thread has been incredible. Thanks to everybody involved for taking the time to share your thoughts on the forum. I will definitely give a report upon my return. Can't wait to hook up with my first striper on a fly!

Go get em John.

I enjoy fishing the Morehead City area of NC. It seems to be one of the constant areas to catch saltwater fish. I go north as far as ward creek, fish other inlets and fish the Beach at the inlet up to the Coast guard station. One of the best times is Early November when the Trout are running. Also as a bonus I have caught Green eyed shrimp with a cast net after Laborday. A very good ( honest) site to check out is Chasin Tails. The reports are accurate.
There are other areas but that have produced but this seems to be one of my best catch rates with spin and fly on the East coast.

Headed to the Outer Banks, NC first week of July for family vacation. I realize it is not the best season for surf flyfishing but I will give early AM's and dusk an effort.. Question to those of you who surf flyfish.. Is an 8 wt ok and if so what flyline type, tippets and flies would you suggest...

FAS

if you already have an 8, go with it. Floating line is fine too, although you will hear lots of people say you NEED and INT or shooting head or whatever. You are inclined to spend money, than those will work too. If not, fish what you have and have fun!

oh straight 20 or 25lb, about 5 ft with a dropper is all you need for leader.

I've hit the back bays of NJ a few times this season so far as well as a few jetty trips. Its been slow picking. I've and a few decent trips, catching 18-24" stripers, a few weakies and a few blues all on the fly rod out of my kayak. I haven't caught anything out front this season.

Going to do some more back bay fishing throughout the summer looking for resident fish willing to cooperate.

To answer the question about line - floating line is best saved for the back bays. Sure on a nice calm day it will catch fish out front, especially around jetties. The majority of the time though I'm fishing either an intermediate or full sinking line (500 grain).

As for the OBX - fish are still around in July. I've fished there in July and August with success. The key is to fish the inner trough from the beach. A lot of guys down there try to cast to the outer bar. I'm sure there are fish out there but, you'll have more fun and be more successful fishing the inner trough on a high tide. I'll usually fish an intermediate line with some sort of bait fish looking fly (anything from a clouser, deceiver, etc... will work) in the early am and dusk into the evening. During the day I'll switch over to a full sink line and drag a sparse clouser or gotcha along the bottom, catching pompano, croakers, ladyfish, etc... Heavily weighted crab flies work good too. Don't forget about the sound side. People rarely fish it but, I normally have the best luck back there for sea trout, red fish and flounder. I've even caught a few cobia back there.

DrFAS, try and orange and black clousers (copper flash)and Avalon keel crab those two flies have produced the best for me down there by far. Depending on where you are staying I can let you know of some spots

" Depending on where you are staying I can let you know of some spots"

Corolla area.. And thanks for the fly advice..

" Depending on where you are staying I can let you know of some spots"

Corolla area.. And thanks for the fly advice..

And, thanks to all of you.. None better than yinz here..

FAS

Was down in wildwood this weekend and got a line wet. Inly really fished for 30 minutes first night there but picked one nice weakfish.

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/104478415@N05/14487827121/

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3874/14487827121_ba5f994983_z.jpg

Back