Anyone Hitting the Salt?

F

Fishidiot

There's been virtually no discussion this year of saltwater fishing in the usual spots, particularly the NJ shore. May is a prime salt month.
Speaking just for myself, to be sure, I simply didn't have time last month and the Jam was my only weekend I could get away for more than a day (I live too far from the coast for day trips). Once Memorial Day comes around, I avoid the beach until Sept. Nevertheless, I've heard some good reports around the net and June can be a good month for the salt fly rodder.

Any reports from the beach?

Beach yea but not with the fly. Generally I dont fly fish the beach in spring. I dunk bunker and clams and plug the beach.
For thr back bay the weakfish and schoolies are there. Best place to focus is behind LBI and Ibsp.

Lot of alga blooms going on so might have to wait them out.

Lots of big fluke if you care and the are doable with a fly and heavy sinking line. Sent on the fly helps to.

I'll be heading to Cape Cod next week with three college buddies from PSU. Five day trip to the Cape for Stripers on the fly rod. I'm really excited about the trip. Two of them have been there before and pretty much know the drill. Two of us know absolutely nothing other than some great info that has been shared with me on this forum in my earlier "Striper fishing" thread. Thanks guys. I have been tying up some flies (Ray's flies, Deceivers, Clousers, Half and Halfs and Sand Eels). I will post a thread upon my return on how we made out. This is a brand new learning experience for me and something that I have been wanting to try for a number of years and I can't wait.

dc410 wrote:
I'll be heading to Cape Cod next week I will post a thread upon my return on how we made out. This is a brand new learning experience for me and something that I have been wanting to try for a number of years and I can't wait.

Excellent! As mentioned before, June is prime time for bass in MA. The main thing for a salt newbie to keep in mind, esp if you're fishing the surf or wading....is that in the salt, the fish come and go. It's not like a trout stream where you know where they'll be. In the surf, you may catch a bunch one day and the next day they're gone. It's really hit and miss compared to fresh water. The fish move with the tides and often follow schools of baitfish. Locals who fish the area a lot can often figure out patterns, but for us "once in awhile surf guys" it's just hit or miss. Nevertheless, chances are good you'll hit some action with the stripers. Maybe some bluefish too.

Waiting for the glory pics. No pressure of course. :cool:

I fished the outer banks two weeks ago. Water temp was up and down Missed a bite right at my feet from a flounder. Also hooked into a huge hound fish that lasted about 15 seconds. Ive been hearing good things about Jersey lots of blues and some bass mixed in

No fly fishing but I went out of belmar for the sea bass opener. It was still pretty cold but we managed to get some nice ones. Last week I went to cape may for a drum fishing trip in the bay. A little rough for a 20 ft boat but we managed. No drum just a few dozen blue dogs. I had one drum hooked up, probably the biggest fish I ever hooked, but he went under the boat and he broke me off.

I'm going to be camping with some friends over the 4th of July weekend in South NJ. My 8wt and 10wt should come in handy.

Heading to Bethany Beach De. For a week over the 4th of July with the grand kids we plan on fishing some every day that week.

You may be in for a very good week of fishing at the Cape, as the spring run is in full swing. I have spent a considerable amount of time in Boston the past few weeks and have managed quite a bit of fishing, mostly good to very good.

So far this year I have caught more schoolies on the fly than usual however, they have been much smaller than prior years with a twenty inch fish being a big one. Most that I have been catching are in the twelve to sixteen inch range but there are some in the low thirty range, too. Right now and probably through next week coves, inlets, flats, marshes, tidal rivers, etc., are where the fish can be found and where i would fish. Although it may change by next week, there are not many stripers showing up along the open ocean beaches and rocky shores. The big ones are mostly off shore under the schools of bait although some twenty pounders do wander into the coves, as foodwise the coves are loaded with a lot of everything right now.

That said, fishing has been unpredictable from a timing standpoint. Typically in the spring coves, inlets, flats, marshes, etc., fish best just prior to and after high tide (time of day irrelevant) and just about daybreak (tide irrelevant) however two of my more successful outings were at dead low tide, midday, and I was catching fish after fish in less than two feet of water with some just about keeper size.

Wind has had a tremendous effect on fishing and for the past several weeks the Cape area has seen many days of wind originating from the east and the old salty New England saying goes, "Winds from the east, fishing is least, winds from the west, fishing is best." It is true and nothing kills fishing more than the dreaded northeast wind. If there is NE wind, definitely fish a cove and do not waste your time on the beaches or rocky shoreline. If you get several warm days with a SW wind, definitely try the beaches and rocky shore, as this is the condition that drives the bigger ones off shore towards shore.

When fishing move around and find the fish. For the most part the fish are not staying in one spot and my experience this spring has been if the fish are there they will hit within two to three casts. You may experience a situation where you catch fish after fish for thirty minutes and then it stops. The fish moved. They move with the current and with changes in wind direction so move and find them again. In coves, inlets, flats, etc., the best place to start is on the side that the wind is blowing into if you can. Pay attention to subtle wind direction changes especially at the turn of the tide. It is not uncommon for the wind to die off at tide turn and when it resumes it may be coming at a slightly different angle and that small directional change, along with the tide change, can substantially move the fish.

Typically in a cove the fish move into the cove with the incoming tide. They may follow one shoreline on the incoming and the opposite shoreline on the outgoing. At high tide they generally are deep in the cove and closet to the shoreline.

Pay attention to how the fish are hitting. Sometimes they are only hitting topwater (white foam poppers, white tail with blue and yellow mixed in), other times just below the surface, and other times on the fly's drop. If you are retrieving strip...pause...strip...pause...strip................pause (longer pause because you scratched your nose or something) and you get a take, its not coincidence, that extra pause is what triggered the strike. The same applies to a faster retrieve. Sometimes its the path of the fly. You may be casting and retrieving north to south parallel along the shoreline and then cast and retrieve one south to north and get a strike. That was not random. The fish will tell you what they want you just need to be aware of what you were doing when the fish struck.

Last two pieces of advice - bring along a spinning rod and some four inch poppers and nine inch white sluggos and spin fish to cover water until you find the stripers and since you are going with several friends, spread way out to cover more water and find the fish. Many of these coves have structural features on the bottom that you wont see or know about and and fly fishing is not an efficient way to cover water. You dont need a big meat rod. A six to seven foot freshwater rod with 10lb test is perfect. Each of you pick a five hundred foot stretch to cover with a spin rod and when one of you finds the sweet spot, call your friends.

johnstevens,

Thank you very much for that wealth of information. Everything that I have been hearing/reading/researching made total sense with your reply. The tides, the wind, the beachfront, the coves, the baitfish ...... it all makes sense, but it may be difficult for a newbie to put it all together without hearing it from someone who has put the time in. Thanks again for taking the time to share your thoughts is was very generous of you and much appreciated.

dc410 - I was in Chatham last summer and one to add is that almost every night I would wander down to a marina near our house and there would be stripers chasing baitfish up against the bulkhead to ambush them. So of my best fishing was right there at the marina every night after dinner. Have a great time.

AndyP,

Thanks for the info. Were you fishing at dusk or was it actually after dark? We were planning on doing some night fishing if we can locate an area where the bass are ambushing baitfish. Was there artificial lighting in the area of the marina? Thanks again for your help. I am seriously getting pumped for this trip!

Yes, marinas, most marinas are in coves. Those are the exact kinds of spots I am talking about fishing at this time of year. It is not the scenery one imagines but when these coves are loaded with all kinds of bait you can find countless schoolies, a decent number of barely keepers, and the occasional big one swimming among docks, piers, moorings, etc., especially in the late evening and early morning hours.

When I refer to big stripers I am talking about big ones for a fly rod - twenty pounds or so. The BIG ones (thirty or more pounds) don't come into these waters.

This time of year anytime after 6:00pm could be good. What I have found is if nothing is happening by sunset the odds of anything happening within the next few hours is not in your favor. Go back, rest up and return around 2:00am or so.

The difficulty with striper fishing is the bite could turn on at any time but that also means fishing non productive times and tiring yourself out while waiting for the bite. If you want to night fish and since you will be with friends take turns being on watch. Another option with multiple people is break up into groups and hit different coves simultaneously. The whole key is finding the fish and the more water your group can cover the better odds the group has of hitting the jackpot.

A night tip and in all seriousness, as it may sound like I am jerking you around, if you do not wear glasses wear clear safety glasses. At night you cant see the flight path of your fly and the last thing you want is to imbed a 3/0 hook into your eye.

Johnstevens,

Wow!....two really great posts. All terrific info with the exception of the spinning rod stuff :roll:

Thanks for posting

I agree with the spin rod advice. I always take a spin rod to the beach but use it more when very windy conditions make FFing too hard. On a few rare occasions, I've gone back to the car and grabbed a spin rod when fish were breaking too far out beyond the breakers to reach with a fly rod. A spin rod with "metal" will allow you to reach those fish.

And, of course, I'm a shameless dude with no class. :cool:

Thanks again johnstevens for a couple more great tips. The thought of having to remove large hooks from various body parts has crossed my mind, but catching one in the eye would definitely throw a big wrench in the trip. I will pass that one on to my friends.
I will probably throw the spinning rod in too (if I can find it .... Can't even remember using it the last time). I don't really have any lures to throw with the spinning gear but I am sure I can pick up a couple up there if need be. Hopefully I won't need it. Thanks again for all your advice.

Hey FI & dc,

I have a spinning rod in my garage for taking my young nieces and nephews fishing. If you need to borrow it, send my a PM. I'll throw in a Snoopy and a Dora the Explorer bobber in to complete the outfit. Lemme know.

Hey, thanks for the offer Afish, but I have a real old Ugli Stik complete with the ceramic inserts busted out of some of the guides and a broken cork handle taped together with duct tape. I'm good. :-D

Afish, at least I haven't mentioned anything about sinking live eels or yoyo-ing with porgies, which is now an illegal technique in MA but many still use it anyway. Very productive method for monster off shore stripers but very harmful to the fish if they break off. It is not uncommon to find several POUNDS of lead, wooden skewers and hooks inside the stomachs of forty pound plus stripers.

There are masters of this technique who drive around marking fish and when they mark a big one they immediately set up for the proper yoyo and more often than not within five minutes these guys are hauling in a fifty pound fish.

MV Report. Just spent a week up there as I always do each year in early June with a bunch of buddies. AS is always the case, the fish were there, but size this year was down. And numbers were slightly down. Overall it was an average year, with everyone getting fish each day on the fly, along with blues. Some of the blues were gators! All blues came on spin.

We did get into some sight fishing on the flats, but not the number of chasers as in the past.

Sparser clousers are always the top producers. Bead chain or light lead eyes. Yellow in the day, and black at night.

Either the fish need to show up any day or the numbers are truly down. You can only say the fish are late for so long until you have to cut bait and admit they won't show.

Bassachusettes

Enjoy

MV1.jpg

Back