Anyone Heading to Erie?

Acristickid

Acristickid

Heading north on I-79?

I heard there was very bad traffic last year on I-79 near the Grove City outlets.

Cars backed up for miles on the interstate as they waited to exit. There was not enough parking spaces for all the cars.

Outlets open at midnight tonight.

I had planned on going up today - black friday - but the forecast changed my mind. Good luck to you hardy souls who do go

Streams are still high today, especially Elk, but water level is dropping. Dress warmly, the overnite temperature was in the 20's, the high today will be 30's. Erie had about 2" snow yesterday afternoon, Crawford county had about 6".

My son and I went up Friday. We passed the Grove City outlets around 7:45 AM with no problems.

I should have followed my instincts and went straight to 20 mile. Instead, we stopped at the I-79 hole to look, and Elk looked fishable. We fished upper Walnut for a while near Sterretainia withou success. Moved over to upper Elk for a while till we got chased out by a blizzard. After grabbing some lunch I took my son over to Trout run to gawk at the fish stacked up there. Next we tried near the mouth of Elk. Guys fishing bait were hooking up becuase of the scent, but the visibility was not adequate for flies. I over heard a guy saying they were killing them over at 20 mile so we hopped in the car for the 45 mile dash over there from Elk.

We fished the last hour of daylight on 20 mile and had 7 hook-ups between us. My son landed his first steelhead (I'm so proud!). I foul-hooked and landed my first lake-run brown trout, it looked like a football.

Back