Anyone fish the Yough this past weekend?

Acristickid

Acristickid

I chose not to fish the Yough as the flows Friday evening still looked high. Anyone fish there??

Instead fished a couple "secret" streams listed on the PAFB and in at least 15 books. Don't worry my invisible sheild was enabled to not been seen by any unsuspecting anglers. hahaah made me laugh

I fished around Ramcat Sunday afternoon/evening. Flows were back to normal, but a higher than normal porportion of the water was coming from the Cassleman. I caught a few smallmouth and missed a few trout. I'm still trying to figure out the great mystery. As is typical (by my observation) there are enough dry flies hatching to sporadically cause rising fish, but not enough to get the fish in a sustained rhythm.

Acristickid, do you mean those secret class A streams highlighted in flourescent green on the PFBC interactive county maps? :-D

Ranger Keen, come on down. This is an underutilized fishery.

I was up for a visit not long ago and hooked up with guttrap, my favorite fishing buddy, on the Yough. I grew up in chalk hill and he grew up in Confluence. Needless to say we fish(ed) the Yough A LOT!!! I fish it for the mystery. I consider my self a successful trout angler I have done it for a long time. The Yough is different. I call Guttrap a couple times a week and frankly if hes not catching them I dont believe anyone is. I have heard a lot about my home stream as of late on here and I keep laughing inside while reading the posts about the river. Albatross wrote: "As is typical (by my observation) there are enough dry flies hatching to sporadically cause rising fish, but not enough to get the fish in a sustained rhythm." Al, Thats it buddy. That has been my life long experience on this peice of water. I sit on my flats boat in FL and think of ways to fish it differently and it torments me until I can get back there. Its good to hear that me and guttrap aren’t the only ones who walk away scratching our heads. We do catch fish there but only because of 2 combined lifetime’s worth of experience in "our own back yard" and even with that it can humble you in the blink of an eye.

CaptMatt,

I've ony been fishing the Yough for about two years so I guess I have nothing to be embarassed about. If you ever do figure this river out you can send me a PM, or just post it here for all to see.

The thing I like most about the Yough is that its actually big enough to be able the throw some serious line. Closest thing out here to a western river.

albatross wrote:
CaptMatt,

I've ony been fishing the Yough for about two years so I guess I have nothing to be embarassed about. If you ever do figure this river out you can send me a PM, or just post it here for all to see.

Nothing at all! Fishing isnt about being embarassed although it happens to us all. I've said it for years and I'll say it again... I will figure it out or die trying.

In retrospect wish I would have fished the Yough this past weekend based on your response.

The places I fished were off color (pretty warm at least during mid day too) not to mention 2 hours further away. Really surprised at the variety of temps from the waters this past weekend. Pretty slow fishing with not many hatches, but hey it's August. I am ready for the summer to end.

I do have one advantage at the Yough over my more skilled casting buddies. At 250 pounds I can move across the river pretty well and work more water. No substitute for putting in time at the Yough though. There could be worse things. Paul

I have been trying to decode the Yough for about three years now. At first I could figure nothing out to fool the rising trout. I caught fish in faster water on streamers and nymphs and even dries, but I wanted a piece of those large risers in the slow water areas. I have managed a few and have managed to miss quite a few, but more often than not, they will somehow determine my imitation is not worthy and let it pass by in favor of the naturals. Like you all, I notice that while the fish will rise, they rarely rise consistently in the exact same area;... however, I do remember one time "being there" as they say when the surface just in front of me exploded with a half dozen or more risers that could no sooner swallow something before they rose again. It was just before dark and while this feeding frenzy was progressing and light was quickly waning, I changed flies at least 5 times to no avail, then on a whim, put on a whitefly spinner and proceeded to catch a nice fat rainbow with just enough time to release him and grope my way to the shore before darkness took over. And, that is why I keep going back.

Three weeks ago, the stars aligned causing a cosmic pull that greatly enhanced my karma and created a supernatural occurance that can only be explained as Kismet...

Two magical hours where I caught 12 fish, all on top, all on big flies -- caddis and isos -- I could actually see at 40 feet. Three of the fish were over 18 inches... and one leviathan was 22 inches, about 4 pounds of big brusing brown trout. It was the best day I've ever had on this river in 25 years of fishing it.

Sometimes, life is good, very good.

schrec
rising fish always

I'm surprised to hear about the yough fish being picky.
Yes, the hatches are usually sparse, and the fish usually don't rise consistently. But in my experience, the fish are usually eager to take my fly. I've caught plenty of fish there after seeing them rise only one time. I just mark the spot, and move into position to reach it, and wham. But I usually bike in away from the access areas where the fish get little pressure.

Schrec: glad to hear about your fine day. My last time down there - also about 3 - 4 weeks ago,- I fished a section tht I hadn't tried in years, and had always produced just average size stocked fish in the 10 to 12 inch range. This time was different. I landed 2 fish over 20 inches, and lost 3 more that felt like they were in that same range. I don't know if it was a fluke, but I intend to try that same spot next time down. Those were my biggest Yough fish ever, after 20 years of fishing it

Dryflyguy,
Glad to hear you did well too. It must of been a convergence of circumstances that week to create such great fishing. I've bene there twice since without nearly as good results. Still, I think the river has improved noticeably over the past 5 years. Hatches are better and more consistent. The fish seem to be getting bigger... generally. And since I've been avoiding the high-traffic areas like around the dam, Ramcat Run and around Ohiopyle, my personal catch rate has vastly improved. I love that river.

rising fish always
schrec

i believe the trick is to bike or hike into the section between Confluence and Ohiopyle. Matt, I know of a few roads down the mountain that can get us to that section the next time you get up here. The roads are pretty rough, but nothing the old fishing vessel hasn't handled in the past.

guttrap wrote:
i believe the trick is to bike or hike into the section between Confluence and Ohiopyle. Matt, I know of a few roads down the mountain that can get us to that section the next time you get up here. The roads are pretty rough, but nothing the old fishing vessel hasn't handled in the past.

Ok Smit, SHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, we've told these boys enough :-D

Seriously though, I agree and as you know thats where I concentrate my efforts. I like em a little wilder than they are around the out flow. There they stay dumb a little longer causing stories and tales of success to make some think its an easy river to fish.

Back