Anyone fish a Scott rod?

Wildfish

Wildfish

Once I pay off a recently purchased engagement ring I'm planning to treat myself to a nice 4w. I've liked the Scott a3 when I cast it in a parking lot. Anyone have experience with the warranty? Any thoughts on the brand in general?

I have no experience with Scott but I would love to get my hands on one of their new f series fiberglass rods!

I have wanted a scott a2 for years, and just won one in the raffle at the delaware.

It is sweeet. I knew it would be, as I have cast them many times.

I am not sure on the warranty, but I believe it is good. The rod I won is a warranty replacement.

I have an older "Scott" flyrod. It is an 8'6" 5 weight V2 855.At the time it was the bottom of their line but still made in the USA. A good rod though. It cast very nice. I like it. I have never needed any warranty work but the rod has a lifetime warranty. IMO Scott has a good reputation and all their rods are still USA made. I don't think you will be sorry purchasing a "Scott".

I liked a couple of Winstons along with the Scotts, but Winston has sent their lower models overseas. I'd rather spend less on a TFO or Albright if I go overseas. Love that Scott stayed here. Thanks for the feedback guys. This won't be for a while, however. Still have about 6 months worth of payments on that little ring.

I have a 7wt A3, it is one sweet stick. I broke it last year. I sent it in with the warranty fee and had it back in a couple of weeks. The people at Scott were great to deal with. I was really impressed with their warranty service; it was as good as the rod itself. I also have a Redington rod and a couple of Albright rods; the Scott is my favorite by far.

I have a 9' 5wt Alpha series 2. 3 piece. Its is my larger stream dryfly rod and also handles streamers and weight well.

I am not sure on the warranty, but I believe it is good. The rod I won is a warranty replacement.

Esopus_Guy donated it to the raffle and Andy sent it in for repair. He said they were AWESOME to deal with. Very quick. $45 for repair. That rod that Jay won is nice and AMAZINGLY light weight.

As far as the Winston Ascent and Vapor they are PURE ABSOLUTE GARBAGE. I mean really, just pure crap. Both were phased out and replaced with new rod lines this year, but both are still made in China and I have little belief that quality will improve. Save you money and buy a real Winston or better yet look into the better Chinese rods. If you can find a good deal on a St Croix Legand Ultra, that is a great US made rod.

I have a friend who used Scott exclusively, and eventually opened a shop and became a dealer. I bought a G2 4wt which I love. Incredible rod. I got a 9wt and it is my go to rod for nymphing and all dry fly fishing, even up on the Delaware. Only in heavy wind do I go to my 5wt. I can usually cast my 4wt further, if that makes any sense.

For streamer fishing I got an A3 9foot 7wt. I cast an intermediate line. I like the rod, but just caught my first fish on it. It was a whopper.

I broke a ferrule casting this rod. I got a replacement from Scott quickly, but did not think it was fair to pay a service fee, which I believe was $35.

Overall I am very happy with my two Scott rods. Luckily I got a deal on the G2. They are very expensive. I was happy for Jayl winning the rod in the raffle, but I would have prefered to win in myself!

I got a 9wt and it is my go to rod for nymphing and all dry fly fishing, even up on the Delaware.

You mean 4wt?

I broke a ferrule casting this rod. I got a replacement from Scott quickly, but did not think it was fair to pay a service fee, which I believe was $35.

I agree. This is actually a situation where a real "warranty" would apply. I know the fee is currently $45.

I emailed scott, and the warranty does not cover my rod. I'll have to go through esopusguy if I break it.

Ya, they say original owner on their website. St Croix is the only company I am aware of that doesn't care where the rod came from. Makes me wonder why one has to register a St Croix.

I believe TFO is also no questions asked and any owner, but I could be wrong.

gfen wrote:
I believe TFO is also no questions asked and any owner, but I could be wrong.

Sage is also pretty liberal when it comes to requiring registration of the original owner of a rod.

I did not register my TFO, and have returned it twice for repairs/replacement.

Same with my versitex.

I have a 10', 4wt, E2 model. Wonderful rod. I can throw heavy nymphs and streamers and turn around and cast midges. Best investment I've made.

Dale

I have an Scott ARC (not spey) 7wt.
Fantastic steelie rod.

jayL wrote:
I did not register my TFO, and have returned it twice for repairs/replacement.

FWIW, you have to register online. Its a form. THere's no tracking of the product, so I don't think it really matters.

We'll find out soon enough, my rod shattered this afternoon. I'm upset.

Back