Anyone else wear a chest pack on the side?

bigslackwater

bigslackwater

I thought I might like trying a chest pack. I've used a waist pack up until now. I ended up getting the William Joseph Current chest pack. I fished with it at my chest for about 10 minutes and it drove me crazy. I felt the strap pulling at the back of my neck and it felt like it was always leaning forward. I could not get comfortable with it. I don't mean to knock the design. I think it's well made. I'm probably just not a chest pack person. So I swung it over and put the pack at my side, under my left arm. The strap diagonal across my chest and shoulder felt much better on my neck. It seems easy enough to access and stays out of the way. I can also access the front pocket on my waders better which I use a lot. Does anyone else use a chest pack to the side?

I tried using one for a year and gave up. It may just be me, but I have a hernia on my stomach and with the chest pack maxed out...it just was awkward. Kinda like a baby papoose...

I now use a simms waist pack that has a shoulder strap. I tend to wade into water above my waist height...so everything gets wet...and I get line tangled on it at times.

I like the feel of the Umpqua Swiftwater Tech Vest. I am not sure I could carry as many large streamers boxes as usual or a spare spool. I will check out the expansion capabilities of there product to see how functional it could be. In the past I had a simms vest which seemed like to much. Umpqua also has a Toketee vest that is similar. These will continue to get soaked during deep wading.

I had purchased a lanyard to try the minimal approach...but never have used it. It would be enjoyable for fishin for dinks on small stuff.

So I think capacity and waterproof construction/wading height will determine my next purchase.

I tried a chest pack and don't like them at all. For brookie fishing or sometimes a quick trip to the river I use a lanyard. Otherwise I use an Orvis sling pack. I still have my vest but I find with a vest I just overload it.

I don't like anything hanging on my neck or casting shoulder. I tried a variety of waist packs, but they limited my hip mobility. I recently purchased the Rising Flask Pack, and love it. I wear it on the side of my hip via belt. The design is very well thought out, and it has decent storage capacity. It can also be worn around the neck, sternum strap, or like a sling. If I need to carry more, I have an Orvis safe passage chest pack with a backpack portion.

I pretty much got rid of all packs, altogether. And have a simple chest BOX. It's much lighter, and easier on my neck and back than a vest or pack ever was.

That said, it does limit what I can carry, which is in a way a good thing, because like everyone, I tend to load up whatever I have. It holds lots of flies, of course. Floatant, snips, and forceps all attach. I usually put a few indicators and a ring of shot in there as well. And it has a leader wallet.

For the average outing, that's really all I need, except tippet and a place to put keys. In winter, with a wading jacket, it's fine, I got pockets everywhere. In summer, I'm left utilizing my wader pouch, which is hard to access with the box over top. Keys is fine since you're not getting them in and out. Tippet is really my only remaining issue.

For true all-day, away from car adventures I still take a camo butt pack with a couple of drinks and a sammy. Just gotta be careful not to wade over my sammy!

Back