Anybody Else Fishing a 6 Footer?

I have a 6'6" Orvis Graphite Superfine Flea. It is a 4 wt. By far the best small stream rod I have ever fished (and I have fished quite a few).

If you ever come across this rod BUY IT!

5'2" fenwick 5 wt
6' fenwick 5 wt
6'6" 2 wt custom grafite
6' 6 wt (cast a 4 fine) phillipson glass

There is a 6ft 2wt TFO Lefty @ Cabelas for $50 in the bargain cave. Almost bought it with my gift card untill I realized I would never use it. Had flashforwards of becoming like Heritage Angler with 60 rods. Lol

6' cigar grip superfine trout bum 4pc 2w
6'9" tfo finesse "1 wght"/ but it is really a 2 wght, also 4 pc

These are great little rods, they will let you make a surprisingly long cast if you hit a long pool

SBecker wrote:
Had flashforwards of becoming like Heritage Angler with 60 rods. Lol

"Only" have 42 rods now. My latest are a 6'6" 2wt custom built, and a 7' 3wt Sage. Really like that 7'er, but I can definitely see the advantages of the tiny rods in really tight stuff.

Next up - a 5' TFO Finesse 1/2 wt. Just fixed a tiny 2" J. Austin Forbes reel (thanks k-bob!), and I "need" something to hang it on. :lol:

SBecker wrote:
There is a 6ft 2wt TFO Lefty @ Cabelas for $50 in the bargain cave. Almost bought it with my gift card untill I realized I would never use it. Had flashforwards of becoming like Heritage Angler with 60 rods. Lol
Oh don't you worry, you'll get there we'll all get there...
Smallest rod I have "right now" is a White River Classic 5'-8" #4 w/BBSI reel
A christmas bonus from two years back. :-D

sandfly wrote:
5'2" fenwick 5 wt
6' fenwick 5 wt
6'6" 2 wt custom grafite
6' 6 wt (cast a 4 fine) phillipson glass

Bob,

I'd kill for a Fenwick FF605. Bought one in the late 60's or early 70's and regretted selling it to this day. Would love to find one for a reasonable price.

After some trading I am down to a dozen fly rods. 11 of the 12 are 7'6" or less.

lv2nymph wrote:
SBecker wrote:
Oh don't you worry, you'll get there we'll all get there...
Smallest rod I have "right now" is a White River Classic 5'-8" #4 w/BBSI reel
A christmas bonus from two years back. :-D

Lol I have only been fly fishing for a little over two years. I have two 3 weights, two 4 weights, a 6 weight, a 7 weight, and a 9 weight. I have sold 3 rods in the past 2 years that I found no use for. So currently I own 7 rods, but if I did not sell the other ones would be at 10. I only bring this info up because while sitting around with some family on Christmas I talked about saving up for a Sage One 5 weight a buddy is looking to sell me for a great price. Everybody exclaimed, don't you have enough rods!? That is when I riddled off what I have and realized I might have a small problem. But Hell, they all serve a certain purpose! People that don't fly fish, just don't understand.

I don't know how many flyrods I own. I guess I should count them! :-o

11, from 14ft Spey rods down to a 7' 4wt bamboo.

I am looking at a 2wt right now - the redington CT"s are on close out, but might splash for another boo rod.

Either way I'm looking for a hardy flyweight to dress it up real nice :)

Sbecker,
Agreed, people that don't fly fish can't understand. But then look at other hobbies most have an excess of supplies as well. Here's how I see it, you have your half dozen meat and potato rods you use all the year long ( depending on fisherman of course) Then you start eyeing other rods, specialty rods that get used once to six times a year maybe. I say to you, don't feel bad about these rods. Take them out back for a cast, wiggle them back and forth ( they like that) Ignore those that feel two or three dozen rods/reels is excess. Everyone here knows that it's not, embrace your rod hoarding inner self and show all you don't care what they think. Besides they're cool to hold and look at knowing it's your's. :pint:

It's not hoarding, it's advanced contingency planning.

Should a misguided female ask ' how many fly rods do you need ? " the correct response is always ' how many pairs of shoes do you need ? '

Its simple math.

I only have 4 rods right now (2wt Allen, 6wt Fenwick, 5wt Reddington and a cheapo 8wt Cabelas thing), but over the past year I gave away a 6' Berkley Parametric to my dad, parted with a Phillipson, sold a Cortlan GRF1000, and gave my brother a 9'5wt after his rod broke.

I gave away too much!

you parted with your phillipson??? why would anyone do that? ever?

It needed work on the reel seat (a lot of work) and I'm not a rod builder at all, nor do I have the funds to repair it. Its in the trusting hands of Sandfly now. I kept it "in the fam"!

A real good friend who has since passed gave me an Orvis Battenkill 6 1\2 foot bamboo that i fish several times each summer. Great little rod and i get flack from all who say i would put that in my gun safe and "save" it. It's toomuch fun to fish with.

Back