Any One Else Struggle Getting a 2021 License?

Letort

Letort

Went to Walmart - couldn't find anyone (after repeated pages) to staff the sporting goods dept. Left.

Went to TCO - they were awaiting new printer from state and couldn't issue. Keep in mind, this was 12/31.

Went to Sportsman Warehouse. State data base had old information on my account. Customer service had to call into state, was on hold for quite some time. Finally got it corrected and license issued. To avoid having to do this anytime soon, got a 5 yr tag. And made the voluntary wild trout contribution.

What a pain in the butt. Would of bought online, but heard of people having problems with that method also.

Hopefully some of you were able to waltz in and out without drama.

Bought my 3 year license and wild trout permit online on 12/22/20. I had no issues.

I have never had an issue purchasing my license on line. Got my 2021 several days ago with no problems. I wouldn’t even consider buying one in a retail store.

Got my 3 year renewal yesterday with no issues. For some reason it wouldn’t print at first, but pretty sure that was operator error.

Assuming you have a printer, the best way to get your license is online. Not only can you buy and print it on demand, you can print multiple copies for back-up (no practical reprint cost if lost) or for placement in different items. I have one in my trout vest and one in my bass tackle bag.

I bought mine online a few days ago and had no problems at all. I have never had any problems buying a license on the website.

I usually purchase online, but my printer is acting up at the moment, so tried the physical store. Won't try that again anytime soon (especially with a 5 year tag).

Had no problem getting my license, and voluntary permits, online this year. Maryland worked fine too.
(I'm saying this as person who tends to feel that doing things in-person is usually easier and faster than trying to do the same task online.)

I did notice back in October a long line of hunting license buyers at Wal-mart. The computerized system they used seemed to be unresponsive or kept crashing.

No problem buying mine online, as I have the last number of years. I buy my DE surf license online too. Only hiccup for me is I don’t currently have a working printer at home. (I’d usually print copies at work, but have been working remote since March due to Covid.)

With the 2020 change in display requirements for PA, an electronic copy of your license stored on your phone is acceptable as proof of license, as confirmed on the License FAQ page. (You still need to carry a form of valid ID too.) Since I always carry my phone on me, for now I just saved a PDF file of my license on my phone. Next time I have access to a printer, I still plan to print and carry a paper copy in my pack, just as a backup in case of a dead phone battery. IPhone batteries don’t like the cold.

Swattie87: I was just going to ask about this. I keep a pdf of my license on my phone, too. Thanks!

I bought mine at Bomberger's Hardware Store which is a family owned, Ace affiliated store just north of Lititz. I had no problem at all. I just have to wait for the button to get mailed, but I do have the license that I can easily display on my lanyard.

Online, I just bought my 2021 fishing licence, license button, trout/salmon permit and contributed to the wild trout program in 2 minutes and 49 seconds, from start to finish.

That included a chance to review and change any of last year's information.

Sorry, Letort. It seems to me that your problems were due to operator error.

Maybe get your grandson to help you next year...

Actually lots of people having problems this year.
Many threads on social media about it.

I had no issue myself.

Bought mine online. The current PA "THE OUTDOOR SHOP" may be one of the worst websites ever conceived. I Bought Bob Sopchick's " Penn's Woods Passages" as a Christmas present on December 3rd. Already got the bill, but no book.

Apparently they do have a problem. The site will be closed for maintenance according to the PFBC site copied and pasted below >

https://www.media.pa.gov/pages/fish-and-boat-commission-details.aspx?newsid=355

PENNSYLVANIA FISHING LICENSE SALES SYSTEM WILL BE UNAVAILABLE FROM JANUARY 12-14, 2021

Anglers and boaters should be aware that beginning at 12:00 a.m. on Tuesday, January 12, through approximately 8:00 a.m. on Friday, January 15, the Pennsylvania Automated Licensing System (PALS) for purchasing fishing licenses will be unavailable.

In anticipation of this scheduled maintenance period, anyone planning to participate in 2021 fishing and boating activities while PALS is unavailable should purchase their licenses and permits prior to January 12 through The Outdoor Shop (www.pa.wildlifelicense.com), the FishBoatPA mobile app, or by visiting a retail license issuing agent.

While PALS is inactive, fishing license sales will be temporarily available for purchase by phone. For purchase-by-phone information, customers should visit the “Buy a License” section of www.fishandboat.com beginning on January 12.

Hunting licenses will also be unavailable while the PALS system is inactive, and customers should refer to the Pennsylvania Game Commission website for more information.

Weird because I'd recently gotten an email from the PFBC about renewing my license, launch permit and guide license. I had actually done it at the PFBC headquarters the last few years since it's only 5 minutes out of the way for my usual commute. From the sound of it, should be an adventure. I renewed 2 trailer registrations online last night and it might be the same system. It was a little glitchy but worked.

It's got to be easier than getting a NY fishing license at Marino's outdoor shop in Hancock. Over the last 20 years, I might have successfully purchased the license there three times because of website problems or the guy doesn't understand how to turn on a computer :-o :lol:

I went to Walmart to get my license a few years ago, asked for a fishing license and trout stamp. When they told me the total, I knew it was wrong...

Apparently they had printed a hunting license, some other hunting license permit, and a trout stamp. The print out looked a bit ridiculous.

:roll:

They had to call and get that all voided.

From that point on I just do it online.

I had zero issues buying my PA licenses today online.

I figured I'd get them before the sight goes down for maintenance.

I just got my PA fishing license button in the mail today.

I am good to go with both the paper license in a plastic cover and my button on my lanyard which I wear all of the time.

I only fished public water once in 2020, but I want to support the Pennsylvania Fish & Boat Commission, which is why I always buy a license.

I am going to do the same thing with a hunting license even though I haven't hunted in many years.

I only fished public water once in 2020, but I want to support the Pennsylvania Fish & Boat Commission, which is why I always buy a license.

You still need a fishing license on private land unless you are the landowner. So even at your private club you need a license. I pulled this from the PAFBC website.

The law provides that no person 16 years of age or older shall fish in any of the waters of Pennsylvania or in any boundary waters without first procuring a license. However, there is an exemption in the law. The exemption allows landowners who reside on their land throughout the year and members of their families residing thereon to fish on their land in waters wholly within said land without a license. This exemption does not apply to any person temporarily residing upon the land or any tenant who is not a member of the family of the owner. The exemption also does not apply to any servant or employee of the owner.

A pond or lake that is wholly within land owned by a homeowners association or a private club does not exempt the individual homeowners or club members from having a fishing license.

Back