Any kayak fisher's here?

TimMurphy

TimMurphy

Dear Board,

Do any of you fish from a sit-on-top kayak, and if so are any of you "big people?"

I'm thinking about getting one but everyone I know who has one is about as big as a minute and I know their boats won't float my big behind for very long.

I've thought about a pontoon but to me they are a uni-directional boat. If you aren't going downstream in one you aren't going anywhere. What I think I like about a kayak is the ability to head upstream from a launch and fish back down. In practice that may not be all that much fun but in theory it eliminates the need for two people and two vehicles and/or a shuttle.

Anyone have any comments or experiences they'd like to share?

Regards,
Tim Murphy :)

I fish from one a lot but mines a sit-in. I have friends that have the sit on tops and they really like them, but the heaviest guy is maybe 200lbs. Most manufactures have a weight limit listed on their websites. From what I remember in looking at kayaks most smaller ones have a 250lb weight limit. I remember some that said 300lbs. Talk with the people at Blue Mountain Outfitters in Marysville, I'll bet they can hook you up with exactly what you're looking for.

Also your reasoning for getting a kayak is the exact reason I enjoy using mine so much. It's not hard at all to paddle against the river currents, as long as its not a major rapid. I usually paddle about a mile or 2 up river then just anchor myself in the good holes as I float back down.

I have a Hobie Maui I think it rates out a 275...I, at 200, float like a cork...Native makes a really nice kayak for the same price that rates out at 350...I like mine in the sound at the beach to cover a lot of water...

Dear Tim,

If you would leave the beer cooler behind, you would make the weight limit easy.

Rolf

I tried a sit on one and kept falling off when i surpassed the center of stability, i guess im just a klutz and ill stick with my canoe and its 900 pound weight limit. B.A.

tim

i'm a big guy, 6'4" 300lbs and use a sit in yak. i've used anything from a 12 ft to 16 ft boat and love fishing from them. there are diffrent kind as in very manuverable but unstable to very stable but not as manuverable. it all depends on the type of water you'll use it in. also the shorter more manueverable boats will not float as high for big guys. so, i like larger boats than most and use more muscle for manuevering. also bigger, longer boats paddle better, especially if, as you say, you want to go up stream. on of my favorite boats is the OT loon 14. a nice combo of room, stowage, stability, weight, and manueverability. if you every see a used one, buy it or if you don't want it let me know and i'll buy it. another option is to get a more manueverable boat with a drop skeg. the dagger blackwater is made this way, i have a 12 fter for my daughter but i would opt for 14'.

as for SOT, i have not used one, mainly because i don't like the idea of getting wet. i use my boats all year and do not relish having a wet butt in late fall or ealy spring. some people say cover the scupper holes but others say if you fish shallow, rocky creeks, as i do, rock can get caught in the hole and cause cracks. that is a risk i do not want to take.

if you want to try what i have give me a shout. i'm 30 min north of pgh

http://www.austinkayak.com/products/1126/Malibu-X-13-Rec-Model.html

Just saw this one rated to 450lbs...looks like a nice yak at a decent price too...

Howdy Tim - Check your email - I think you might be interested in this.............Ed :cool:

Dear Ed,

I read the e-mail and answered you back. That seems like an opportunity only a fool would pass up. Let's see if we can't figure out a convenient time to demo some stuff?

Regards,
Tim Murphy :)

Back