Any interest in pulling off a mini-jam in the fall?

sight_nymph_17109 wrote:
David, you have all the answers. Thanks. Why don't you work on capping that oil pipe in the gulf?

I apologize if you took offense to trying to help you out.
You never specified Jay in your post (there are many people who read this board!)
It's not that difficult to use mapquest, and you could have got your answer quicker than waiting for Jay!

I'm a lazy member of society that needs others to do things for me. LMAO. You are right but I also got his opinion on which is better. Did the SR thing before but never went to Erie. Guys in Hancock, NY make a run to Buffalo. They claim it's uncrowded and tons of steelies.

Western NY is good. I have friends that fish it often. It's just too far away. I prefer the salmon because I know it, and it's got 4 major species (5 if you split domestics and steelies), with 6 possible.

OK. We're getting off topic. We're talking about a fall jam. We've already had some interest in Hickory Run SP and streams in that area... Delaware River / Catskill Region... Spring/Penns/Little J.

Any votes for Lehigh, Yough, Central PA limestoners?

If you leave it up to me... it'll be one letter... the D

Make it happen. You'll get 400 suggestions. Just make one final, and people will come.

sight_nymph . . . . Tully obviously. You can camp in my back yard.

sight_nymph_17109 wrote:
If you leave it up to me... it'll be one letter... the D

I've only been up there in the fall twice. The first time was about 20 years ago - and I did pretty well.
The 2nd was early oct of 07. That's when I found the water very brown because they dumping water out of Cannonsville reservoir.
I saw nothing hatching or rising, and didn't stick around very long.

It sounds like you have a good bit of experience up there then, and think it would be very worthwhile? I'm talking hatches and rising fish now

I've certainly made it known on here how much I like that river - and it sure wouldn't take much coaxing to get me back up there this fall

DFG,
You've got to keep it in perspective. There are hatches but not like the stuff you'll see in the spring. It's olives, caddis, ISO's. Sparse to mild hatches but the fish do respond.

jdaddy went up there last year in the fall. Fish were taken on upper EB, Beaverkill, Esopus, WB and Big D. And.... water on WB was muddy. When the drain the lake for the fall, it's blowing muddy water for a few weeks.

Sight nymph -

I didn't realize how close to the big D the beaverkill is - took me only 30 minutes to drive there last month from Hancock. If the D isn't in good shape, that would be a pretty good plan B I guess? I've never fished it or the Willoemoc.

You have the D, the WB, the EB, Beaverkill and Willow all inside of a 30 min drive. If you want to head north, the Esopus is about an hour. All around the area are beaver ponds and wild brookie streams for those that enjoy that style of fishing. Everything would hinge on the flows. Low water rules out floating and high water rules out wading. We'll just have to keep an eye on it. I may be able to get the whole motel (maybe at a discount) for the group if we can sell it out. I'll talk to the mgr. It would take about 30 people total.

I echo JayL's if you build it sentiment.

Pick something, and try to pick something "special" (sucker spawn on the Tully, f'rinstance). Then, publicize it.

You might get five, you might get 50. So far, we've had two "mini-jams" out here in the LV, plus a couple of other get togethers. I think we've brought together a good 20 people at the bigger ones.

All right then.
I've always been leery of committing to a mini jam at the D because it's so unpredictable. But there certainly seems to be some good alternatives fairly close to it I guess, and I would vote for a fall jam there.
I don't know what time frame you have in mind. But I already have vacation time in for the first week of october. That's usually when the fall BWO's get going good on all of the other streams I fish.
Let's see if there's any other interest in it.

Another thing we need to keep in mind too - the steelhead jam that was held last fall was a big hit, and will likely be held again I assume. We wouldn't want to schedule anything to conflict with that.

In 08 and 09, we've gone to the D in the second half of September. Last week of Sept or first week of Oct works for me. Remember, it can be quite different weatherwise in those parts. I'm happier fishing in 50-60 degree weather than I am in 80 degree weather. On 4-15-10, I floated in sleet and snow showers. That was just after temps had gotten into the high 80's a few days prior.

I would be interested if it's before October. I spend October-November satisfying the trib craving.

Once again i say check out Mountain Creek Campground on Mountain Creek in Cumberland county , lot of other options close by.

Back