Any float tubers out there?

TimMurphy

TimMurphy

Dear Board,

I'm looking for some place to try float tubing for bass and bluegills here in Central PA. The problem is the only lakes I'm familar with are Memorial Lake on the Lebanon/Dauphin border and Holman Lake over in Perry county.

Any other places worth trying within a one hour drive?

Regards,
Tim Murphy :)

Tim,
Have you ever tried Lake Marburg in Codorus SP? It's just east of Hanover and, I think, within your hour radius (it takes me less than an hour to get to Harrisburg and I live in Gettysburg which is further than Hanover). There are some recent threads on this lake and another fellow looking to float tube it. It's a big lake (over 1000 acres) which allows small power outboards but there are plenty of sheltered coves that ought to be fishable from a tube. The water is clear and weedy in some areas but it doesn't become choked.
Another spot closer to you would be Pinchot Lake which is also located in a state park. It's loaded with bass (and a smaller lake) but much weedier. It's fished hard but I have mostly found Pinchot a bit easier to catch fish from than Marburg. Pinchot is east of Dillsburg, probably a half hour or so from you.

Dave,

I think Tim is looking for some bass and panfish ponds to float-fish close to the estate he recently aquired near Coburn.

Afish,
Yeah - you may be right, I didn't think of that.

Curious as to what kind of float tube you use? Looking to get something and there can be a big price difference between models.

Has anyone used the personal pontoon boats like the one that the creek company offers. Seems like they have a special for $229 which is good deal.

ndilisi wrote:
Curious as to what kind of float tube you use? Looking to get something and there can be a big price difference between models.

Has anyone used the personal pontoon boats like the one that the creek company offers. Seems like they have a special for $229 which is good deal.

perhaps THIS will help...

[color=000066]"There are some recent threads on this lake and another fellow looking to float tube it." [/color]
That fellow would be me!
After some serious thought, and a couple trips to Marburg, it might not be a good idea to float tube a big, deep, fishless lake like Marburg.
It is a beautiful lake, and wonderful for boating, but the fishing is poor.
I was happy to catch some tiny fish near the shoreline with a 1wt rod. The biggest bass I have caught there was a 12"er. That's OK for me, I like the action. A 12" largemouth is twice the size of the wild trout I usually catch.
It is very easy wading at any place in the huge lake. With chest waders on you can stand in four feet of water and be comfy catchin' the tiny fish. I had to downsize to size 16 to catch anything! Even a size 14 nymph was too big for the fish to hit.
95% of the fish are 3" sunfish, or 4" largemouth bass.
Still fun for me when the trout are gone and the Susky is turning into a smelly cesspool.
All day long there are a hundred boats drifting live minnows or live nightcrawlers on a float or bottom rig. Nobody catches anything! LOL And every ten feet of shore access, there is a bait spinner guy with a "not so bright look" on his face.
After seeing this, I didn't rush out and purchase a float tube.
I guess you like some fishing action, just like I do.
Pinchot has weeds along the shoreline, and a canoe might be better than a float tube. I see some sunfish there, but I also see snapping turtles and snakes. This is a mud bottom, shallow lake. If you float tube to a good spot, you will kick yourself silly to get back to your car!!
But, keep looking. Maybe a private farm pond would be wonderful for a tube?
I'm doing the same thing. If I can't find a good lake, I will fish the heck out of the carp in the Susky Cesspool!

Dear 1WT,

I'll take your word for the poor fishing on Marburg and weeds at Pinchot Park. Like you I am looking for a place where there is potential to get into a couple of good sized bluegills or crappies and the occasional bass of 3 pounds of better.

They say familiarity breeds contempt. I am most familiar with Memorial Lake on the Dauphin/Lebanon county border. I've caught some nice crappies to 12 or 13 inches and some almost hand sized bluegills as well as a few bass around 16 to 18 inches the times I have floated it. It fishes fairly well for me in the tube, and it's only 8 miles from home.

The place just doesn't appeal to me a great deal though? It's in a nice park but the lake is usually discolored and it's hard to find any real structure that holds fish. If you live anywhere nearby I'd be happy to show you around a bit. Maybe between the two of us we could cover more water and do better at locating some of the holding structure?

Let me know if you are interested!

Regards,

Tim,
Thanks for the offer to go fishing with you. We'll have to do it later, like in the fall.
I didn't purchase a float tube yet...... and I'm having second thoughts about it!!

1wt...there are float tubes to be had for less than a tank of gas for an F150. If you come upon one. Pick it up. If you use it twice a year it worth it. Fly fishing out of a float tube has as much to do with fly fishing as swinging wets or fishing wild brookie streams. They are mad e for each other. Easily portable and perfectly matched for still water fly fishing. I cannot tell you how much enjoyment I have gotten from my float tubes combined with fly rods over the years. Just another great way to fish. No need to spend a fortune. Just enough to make ti fun.

Dear 1WT,

I have you covered if you need to borrow a float tube and some fins since I have a second complete set-up as well as a pontoon boat.

The only thing you may need is a life jacket? I have a couple of them but the ones I have only fit people and big fat dudes like myself. If you aren't a small/medium or a 3XL sized person you will need one that fits you to be legal in PA

Check out Sierra Trading Post for a float tube. I've bought 2 from them for less than $ 100.00 each. If you buy from them regularly they send you coupons via e-mail for 20 - 30% off and sometimes include free shipping if you spend over $ 100.00. The nice thing is you can get a tube for $ 109.00 and fins for $ 29.00 and combine them with a coupon with free shipping to get everything for right around $ 100.00.

Fins will run you anywhere from $ 20.00 to $ 150.00 and the life jacket will cost you $ 20.00 - $ 30.00 for one that makes you legal up to $ 100.00 if you want some fancy life jacket that doubles as a fishing vest.

For around $ 150.00 you can be on the water legally in PA.

If you have an aversion to dealing with STP I can recommend a number of other sites where you can get a tube for about the same money, just let me know.

Regards,

I don't have tube but I got Marine West inflatable kayak/boat.
This handy thing is not maybe fast as current record speed holders kayaks but it is perfect for me and I’m not into speed anyway.
When I float down the Yough (easy jump over 2-3 class rafts!) casting my flies left and right I do love it.
I went all over with this on east coast and people asked me to use it.
This cost only about $250 and you can get into your car in10-15min. It’s very safe and takes two.
This week I will go for a float from Confluence down to Ohiopyle.
Nice trout there.

Attachments

• WestM_inflatable.jpg
    WestM_inflatable.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 6
Tim:
Check out a map site with a hybrd feature, streets and terrain. Look for farm ponds print it out and go exploring. You will get a lot of refusals from landowners. But occasionally you will get the ok. I found one this year that has 3#+ Lm. On top water flies and the occasional huge gill. I have also found some not really worth the effort. But that fishing.

Dear Lou,

That's a pretty good idea and I'll have to give Google Earth a try.

You are from the Allentown area, right? Do you remember the pond on Rte 309 before you began the climb over the Blue Mountain that was across the street from the RV dealer?

That place held the largest bluegills I have ever seen North of the State of Alabama. My buddy who wasnt much of a fly fisherman used to catch bluegills on Jitterbugs and Hula Popers at that pond, that's how big the bluegills were. My brother and fished 8 weights for bluegills and never felt like we had more rod than the fish could handle. Unfortunately, it got choked off with weeds and I haven't been by there since probably about 1992?

My brother and I remember that place fondly though it has been almost 20 years since we fished it. It was a heck of pond!

Regards,

Tim;
Thats one I missed, I'am sorry to say. But next time I'am up that way I'll check it out and let you know.

Back