Another Valley Creek Beast 10-13-16

Time to speak up. If you are using spinning tackle on valley you just don't belong here. I'm sure your a nice guy. Those fish and that creek are heroic and deserve some respect.

JohnPowers wrote:
Time to speak up. If you are using spinning tackle on valley you just don't belong here. I'm sure your a nice guy. Those fish and that creek are heroic and deserve some respect.

Is Valley FFO? When did that regulation change?

I'm afraid the spincasters are here to stay JP. If they've been spotted on the holy sewage water that is Valley then it's getting really bad.

I say we head on down there for a throw down. "We only came to catch some Browns on dries and kick some butt...and it looks like they're not rising today"...

Most fun I ever had on valley was tossing a small jointed rapala

"Holy sewage water", Batman!!!

Too funny.

Our Chapter VFTU
For more than thirty-five years, we at Valley Forge Trout Unlimited have pursued better water and better environments for the cold water streams of northern Chester County.

The original Valley Forge Trout Unlimited (VFTU) stream restoration project in 1979 was on two stretches of West Valley Creek. Stream straightening had left the stream channel with very poor habitat. Meanders were put back into the stream bed, various boulders and other devices were placed in the stream channel to provide cover. The stream now supports many more trout than previously. The project was included in “Better Trout Habitat” by Chris Hunter, wherein he surveyed stream restoration projects nationwide. The project earned a Fish Commission award in 1988 for stream restoration and improvement.

Valley Creek, which flows through Valley Forge National Historical Park, has an outstanding wild trout population, over three times that needed to make Class A designation, the state’s highest. However, poor stormwater management programs have caused some severe erosion points along the stream. Adopt a Stream projects to minimize erosion and featuring restoration and bank stabilization have been implemented. Valley Forge Trout Unlimited received PA Department of Environmental Resources grant funds in the amount of $5,000.00 to do stream improvement work on Valley Creek under five permits in 1995. All the permits were completed with expenditures for only materials and rental equipment. All labor to accomplish the bank stabilizations, deflectors and in stream structures was donated. Excess costs above the amount of the grant were borne by VFTU. These projects are still functioning well today.

Paoli Car Yards: PCBs were washing into Valley Creek and ending up in dangerous concentrations in its fish’s flesh. This fact forced the removal of Valley Creek from the state’s stocking list and the stopping of taking trout from the stream. Neither state or federal authorities seemed interested in resolving the problem, since the source was the federally owned Paoli Car Yards, the previous Pennsylvania Railroad repair facility. After repeated frustrations, a lawsuit was filed, which turned out to be the first of over 400, resulting in declaration of it as a Superfund site and subsequent ongoing clean up.

When a major office park development was planned, Crabby Creek was going to be dammed up, and a “Duck Pond” created. This would have eliminated its spawning habitat and released warm water downstream. Many meetings with the developer eventually led to no duck pond, a substantial green belt on both sides of the stream for stream protection, and very extensive channel restoration efforts (including relocation of marooned fish when a short section of the stream had to be relocated.) VFTU presented Trammell Crow with a plaque in gratitude for a job well done.

Chapter representatives are still attending meetings in Delaware County, Chester County, and Montgomery County. We are continuing to attend township meetings and work towards the preservation of the Valley Creek watersheds in rapidly developing Chester County.

http://www.valleyforgetu.org/our-chapter-vftu/

Attachments

• givers takers.jpg
    givers takers.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 3
Thanks for posting that afish....at times I think it's forgotten how much work is put into preserving Valley Creek.

I know they're here to stay. Look at those pictures and double BARBED treble hooks. I'd just ask the poster to join with those of us who see that creek for the heroic little treasure it is. Anybody think those fish in the pictures are just fine? How about a barbless gray ghost?

Whatever helps you sleep at night... The assumption that the tool an angler uses in a given situation changes his or her attitude towards the resource is elitist at best. Some fly guys ought to get polarized binoculars and start the fish equivalent of a birding "life list." If you are fishing for them, you are fishing for them. TU as an international organization claims to embrace all anglers, and I am a member of TU and Stripers Forever. Get off your high horses, mitches... Yes, we are out here. Plenty of fisherman fish multiple methods. With the progression to articulate streamers and space age materials, even tungsten heads shaped like fish, it is undeniable that large trout eat meat, and I found that if I have to throw a streamer, my 47 year old wrists would rather gently pitch a plug upstream some days. Here's a pig from Fry's Run too (which was kept wet, photographed above the water, and released within 30 seconds....

Fry's run monster

"Elitist at best" lol good call NW... I spin fish a lot more than fly--but no matter what method it's always C&R and always with the best intentions possible for the fish. Not always, but lures will often catch more and bigger fish. It's been years since I fished valley, but glad to see nice fish still in there. Kind of sad to read JP comment.

To the OP... That is a beautiful fish, congratulations!

All are great points.

Valley really IS a treasure. Despite all of the challenges that stream and those WILD fish have had to overcome, with the help of great organizations like TU and countless thoughtful anglers, that stream continues to offer an amazing opportunity to experience the thrill of catching wild trout in an historic setting. Thanks to ALL who help to preserve this treasure!!

And... Nymph-Wristed, That last fish you posted is a beauty!

It's not about how you fish, it's more about showing respect for the fish and the stream.

As well, it's about showing some appreciation for all the efforts from many people and organizations to make it all possible.

I think about all the great people I've met that really care about things and do whatever they can to help.

I'm really ashamed when I hear things like "holy sewage water."

Do you know how much effort was put into forcing the township to replace the sewage lines to keep Valley clean?

And how much effort has been put in to get compliance for the runoff on the highway expansion?

And on and on and on.

For all those that have contributed to helping Valley...thank you.

For all others, it's not too late to start.

Contact VFTU to join.

And it's not just Valley Creek that needs your help. There are many more streams that need help. Here is a listing of all TU's in the state.

afishinado wrote:

afish - That wasn't meant as an insult to anyone who has put in hard work to improve a formerly impaired stream such as Valley, although in hindsight, I understand how it can be taken that way, especially by someone as close to the cause as you. My apologies to you and VFTU in that regard. It was not intended. I don't fish Valley, but the efforts put in by those that do and love it should be commended.

The context of my post was a TIC retort voicing my disagreement to JP's comment about spin fisherman not being welcome on Valley. That's not the outlook that leads to knowledgable, conservation minded anglers IMO. Granted, it probably could have been done without the "sewage water" comment. Again, my apologies.

Flyinglion, sorry to hijack your post! It does not diminish the beauty of your fish. afish, I am on your side, honestly. The term mitches was deserved, however :)

Swattie87 wrote:
afishinado wrote:

afish - That wasn't meant as an insult to anyone who has put in hard work to improve a formerly impaired stream such as Valley, although in hindsight, I understand how it can be taken that way, especially by someone as close to the cause as you. My apologies to you and VFTU in that regard. It was not intended. I don't fish Valley, but the efforts put in by those that do and love it should be commended.

The context of my post was a TIC retort voicing my disagreement to JP's comment about spin fisherman not being welcome on Valley. That's not the outlook that leads to knowledgable, conservation minded anglers IMO. Granted, it probably could have been done without the "sewage water" comment. Again, my apologies.

Understood. No problem. All anglers are welcome, as long as they respect the fish and appreciate how much has gone into keeping them beasts in there as well as all the small fry.

Attachments

• Rattlin_Red_Bird.jpg
    Rattlin_Red_Bird.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 2
If anyone is interested in the history of Valley Creek and VFTU I'd suggest the book "Living Waters" by Owen Owens.

Back