Another Collins Hackle review.....

GANGGREEN

GANGGREEN

OK, a bit of perspective before I jump into a review of the hackle. I started tying as a teenager (40+ years ago) and at that time, the only dry fly hackle available to me (at my budget) were the Indian capes that were positively horrible. I jumped back into fly tying in a much more serious way after I retired a couple of years ago and at the time I had no dry fly hackle at all, so I ran out and purchased a couple of small unmarked packs of dry fly hackle (that actually turned out to be pretty good, albeit short), one #2 Metz saddle in brown/furnace and a Whiting silver grade neck in each of brown and grizzly. I didn't think that was enough and I started doing my homework when I learned about Collins Hackle Farm. Almost all of what I read about the man or his hackle was good stuff. If any of it was negative, it was that Charlie can be gruff (he's a straight shooter, I'll admit) or that his capes aren't as full and the feathers aren't as long as Whiting stuff.

Because I knew that Charlie was essentially out of business (other than selling off his current inventory), I decided to give his necks a shot, just because I knew that this might be my last chance. I purchased a grade 2 rooster cape, two grade 3 capes (all of the graded capes come with the matching saddle for free) and a "grab bag" of his commercial capes (I think I got a ginger, a grizzly, a cream and a badger if I'm not mistaken) through the mail. To be blunt, I was blown away by the quality of the hackle. I'll give you that the feathers on the necks aren't as long as the average Whiting feather, but they're almost entirely without web and they are relatively long (compared to anything not grown by Whiting).

Those feathers were so nice to tie with (relatively long, very stiff barbs, good size distribution on the necks (probably 10-20 with a few smaller) and the saddles (mostly 14-16 with a few 12s and a few 18s on most of them (some of them were mostly 16-18 with a few larger)), very soft/pliable stems that don't twist and great color/shine. The stems really do lie down on the hook perfectly for you as you wind them. I was so impressed that I called the man and asked if I could visit him on the farm and purchase a few more. I think I got two more grade 3s, another commercial grade grab bag and a hen set on my first visit (his hen sets are also very nice). Fell into a few bucks and just went back again today and got two more grade 3s, another commercial grab bag and a grab bag of hen sets (cape and saddle).

I don't tie a million flies a year, so the argument that was made in "the great hackle throwdown" that Whiting is cheaper in the long run because you can tie so many flies with one cape doesn't really resonate that much with me. Especially when you consider that they ignored the fact that the Collins saddles are included with the graded necks and that the saddles DO have a lot of dry fly quality hackle on them (I've heard a lot of people say that the saddle feathers are all too large, are just bugger material, etc., which is utter bunk). Given that I can buy at least two graded Collins necks with free saddles for what one decent Whiting neck costs (or 4 commercial grade capes without saddles from Collins for the same price), I'd rather get the variety of really beautiful colors and realize that for less than a billion dollars that I've got a pretty good selection of necks now that will handle anything I want to tie. For the record, most of the dry flies that I tie are probably 14-16 with the same number of size 12 as size 18. I haven't tied anything smaller than an 18 yet, but I intend to up my game and start tying at least some #20s in the future.

The bottom line is that I give Collins Hackle 2 thumbs up, 5 stars and my highest recommendation. I think a few of the shops still have some of his product and he still has some inventory at home for those who may want to try them. I truly, truly have a lifetime supply now, but I think I'll advise my wife and my kids that if they're unsure about Christmas gifts that it wouldn't hurt my feelings to get another nice Collins neck or two.

Attachments

• Hackle 1.jpg
    Hackle 1.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 146
  • hackle 2.jpg
    hackle 2.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 127
  • Hackle 3.jpg
    Hackle 3.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 109
  • hackle 4.jpg
    hackle 4.jpg