Another Camera topic

ryguyfi

ryguyfi

Dilema... my wife's point and shoot got ruined on the beach on our vacation. We got the repair bill back over the weekend... $100. The camera only cost $150. So we're looking into buying a new camera and I was suggesting a waterproof one, or atleast getting a nice waterproof case. We saw some nice waterproof cameras by olympus, but want to keep our budget around $250. The biggest problem we've found from researching over the weekend is that most of the waterproof cameras don't take good indoor photos. This needs to be a good all around camera so hence me thinking about a waterproof case to take care of that issue. They're just so stinking expensive. So we are either going to get a good waterproof camera, a decent camera and a waterproof case, or an inexpensive camera AND an inexpensive waterproof camera.

So if any of you camera buffs out there can help I'd appreciate it!

Ryan

Hi Ryan - here's a great deal on an Olympus 1050SW waterproof camera. I bought my Pentax W60 from these guys, and recieved it in 3 days.

The 1050SW has one feature that is unique among the waterproof cameras - it has a sliding lens cover that also turns the camera on when lowered to expose the lense. This makes it easy to operate with one hand, while you have a fish in the other. Really nice camera, and the price is great!

Heritage-Angler wrote:
Hi Ryan - here's a great deal on an Olympus 1050SW waterproof camera. I bought my Pentax W60 from these guys, and recieved it in 3 days.

The 1050SW has one feature that is unique among the waterproof cameras - it has a sliding lens cover that also turns the camera on when lowered to expose the lense. This makes it easy to operate with one hand, while you have a fish in the other. Really nice camera, and the price is great!

Yes I looked at those, but they apparently don't take good indoor pictures. My wife is a big scrapbooker, and likes to take pictures inside and out. I would love to get that camera, which would be perfect for what I need, but she's not sold on it.

saw the Olympus stylus tough 8000 and 6000 at best buy. Those things are AWESOME... just a bit expensive.

Hi Ryan - When I bought my Pentax, I also looked at the 1050SW. I actually took a bunch of pictures indoors with the 1050SW, and they looked just fine. Like any small point and shoot camera, you're gonna be limited indoors by the range of the flash. Other than that, this camera will more than hold it's own indoors. It even had a cool feature that lets you focus on stuff with glass in between you and the subject (like out a window).

Other than the slightly better optical zoom of the 6000, this one actually has better features than the Tough 6000, which I also looked at.

The only waterproof cameras that I would consider above average point and shoots are the Canon D10 and the Panasonic TS1. Both are over your price point. The D10 is goofy looking. I have an old Oly 720SW and its quality leaves a lot to be desired but can produce nice photos if you know it well and accept its limitations.

See the following review:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/q209waterproofgroup/

The TS1 is really a legitimate video camera, if that factors into your decision.

If you're looking for really professional looking detailed, noise free ambient light indoor pictures most any point and shoot will struggle, especially with larger print sizes. If you stick with 4x6 and 5x7 prints, most any will do OK. I would definitely get a camera with true optical or sensor shift image stabilization for handheld indoor shots.

Ryan,

I run around with my Nikon D80 which is big and not waterproof. Having any easy to use and peace of mind camera is great. That being said I have been looking at the Canon Powershot D10. All the reviews I have read speak pretty highly of the model. Just looking to find someone who actually has one to get some more feedback.

ryguy,

i own an olympus 1050sw and i think it takes pretty good pictures, inside and out. i love it's versatility as does my wife. i use it for all the outdoorsy type stuff she uses it for everything else. i don't really have any complaints other than it sometimes won't let me zoom with certain settings.

PM me with your email addy and i'll shoot you over indoor and outdoor pics. you can decide for yourself.

Quick edit:

just checked out bestbuy's site and you can get the stylus tough 6000 you looked at for $260 which is just atop your price range.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcat17053&type=page&skuId=9225386&productId=1218062425829&h=387

Ryan,

You saw my set up. It's a Canon powershot, I can get the model number if you want it but I'm sure they changed. Out of the case, its a nice little family camera and takes great pictures.

Canon makes those waterproof cases for all of its camera's, a different one for each model #. The upside is that it protects the camera really well, both shock and water. They're made for snorkeling, and we did that in the Caribbean with no problems. The picture quality does not suffer with the case on. When you don't need the case, just pop the camera out and its back to being a little point and shoot. As you saw, my camera, in its case, gets velcroed to the front of my chest box for quick and easy access, it seems to work so long as I keep the velcro heavy duty and fresh.

There are 2 downsides. With the case on, its pretty bulky. And the case itself was in the vicinity of $100, don't know what they sell for these days.

Under water:

IMG_0381.jpg

Out of water:

IMG_1485.jpg

I have an olympus 600 that is "water resistant" however it's been submerged I don't know how many times. Once for several hours in the bottom of a drift boat. It still works fine and takes pretty good photos. I think it was around $250 2 years ago. It's small and easy to use. Fits nicely in a shirt pocket.

I have the 1050SW and have no issues with it in terms of picture quality. For $150 that's a good buy IMHO. I'm sure there are better cameras, but in that price range I think you'd be hard pressed to find something that's significantly better.

I have a Pentax Optio W10 . Ipaid $200 for it 3 years ago. It uses 1 re-chargeable lithium battery ,that lasts for approx 150 pictures, or for movies that will last longer than you have memory size. Ive seen bad reports about battery use with this camera,maybe some old stlyle. Takes perfect underwater pics and movies. Cant beat the price for what you are getting. I have 100's of indoor movies +pictures of the grand- kids. Have even more fish pictures.Cant say enough about this camera.Every fisherman should own one,fits in a pocket and is waterproof and durable.

I have the 1050SW and have no issues with it in terms of picture quality. For $150 that's a good buy IMHO. I'm sure there are better cameras, but in that price range I think you'd be hard pressed to find something that's significantly better.

I own a 1030SW. AWESOME. Worked awesome in the ocean as well as indoor and everywhere else.

My indoor pictures are way better than anyone elses in my family and wifes family. you can't go wrong with a 10.1 mega pixel. 1050SW is a great deal for the price. I went with the 1030SW for extra waterproof depth, shock proof, and mega pixels. I took photography classes in college. it isn't a top end SLR but it is better than any other point and shoot. I throw it in my vest and hit the stream then the next day take it to thankgiving dinner. great pictures everwhere. no problems. you you never worry about ruining it.

I have one question for you Pat.... since when do fish like bananas???????

And if they love them so much, do you have a pattern?

:-D

They tore those things up like you couldn't believe! Skin and all. Fun being in the middle of a mob of fish, at least till the banana got small and they started nibbling on fingers....

Back