Anchor suggestions needed for Flycraft Stealth

I buy an anchor for my 14' canoe on the Susquehanna. It's a super stable Stillwater made by White. I have a Scotty Anchor mount to my bow and thinking of getting a second one for the stern. I want to just drop it to make a few cast and then lift quickly and keep moving.

My plan was just a 10# cheap anchor and nervous for the grappling style and it getting stuck and not being a quick drop and retrieve. Any ideas besides getting the 10# or 15# for dropping and casting a few times and then just pulling up and move on.

I buy an anchor for my 14' canoe on the Susquehanna. It's a super stable Stillwater made by White. I have a Scotty Anchor mount to my bow and thinking of getting a second one for the stern. I want to just drop it to make a few cast and then lift quickly and keep moving.

My plan was just a 10# cheap anchor and nervous for the grappling style and it getting stuck and not being a quick drop and retrieve. Any ideas besides getting the 10# or 15# for dropping and casting a few times and then just pulling up and move on.
Dear mtelesha,

In general terms it is a bad idea to anchor off both bow and stern in moving water. Especially in a canoe.

That said, 2 feet of old 3/8's logging chain will hold a canoe for fishing. You could go the inner tube route like Pcray did, or just carry a roll of duct tape and re-wrap when needed. I used one as a drag anchor for many years on a 1685 jet jonboat. It was a drift anchor, but it never got stuck to the point where I couldn't retrieve it, and it held the boat in a straight line through current all the time.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Has anyone used a Tornado anchor for their raft?

I have. On a few different rafts actually. They stop you pretty quickly and hold very well. I do have the heavy sucker so it better hold.

I use a Tornado on a 13ft NRS. It's awesome. They don't seem to get hung up nearly as much as other types/shapes. Worth it. IMO

I use a Tornado on a 13ft NRS. It's awesome. They don't seem to get hung up nearly as much as other types/shapes. Worth it. IMO
This is my plan for my new raft. I test drove the anchor on my buddy's raft a few weeks ago and was happy with the 35lber. Probably could get away with the 24lber but I wanted to make sure it would stop and hold in higher faster water.

This is my plan for my new raft. I test drove the anchor on my buddy's raft a few weeks ago and was happy with the 35lber. Probably could get away with the 24lber but I wanted to make sure it would stop and hold in higher faster water.
I run the 34lb. Same reason I went with that size. I’ve dropped in some really fast stuff just to test it and it’s impressive.

Back