Amphibious hiking boots

shipnfish2006

shipnfish2006

Has anyone here ever fished with amphibious hiking boots? I'm going on a 3 day hiking/fishing trip this summer and waders seem like they would be a pain to wear while hiking 5-10 miles per day on the Appaliachian trail. I saw a pair of amphibious hiking boots on the LL bean website that looked like they could work. I just wanted to see if anyone had any opinions on them. Thanks in advance.

Which section of the AT? Many of those streams can be fished without waders altogether. Perhaps some sandals would do if you need to get wet.

At the very beginning of it up in Maine. I just want something that's comfortable, lightweight, will be easy to wade with, and won't create blisters because it's slow to dry after getting wet.

i have the korkers with the soles that you can change..... great boot they go from trail to stream very quickly. very comfortable and light weight. they come with felt soles and lug soles

Thanks buggerman! I was looking between the Salomon and Merrell brands, but those look ever better. It looks like Bass Pro sells all 3 brands so I guess I'll have to make a trip over there in the next couple of weeks.

What are amphibious hiking boots? I like backcountry fishing so I'd like to figure out the footwear issue too. It's a pain taking two pairs of boots, but I never could figure out how to avoid that, unless you don't mind wearing wet boots the whole trip.

What are amphibious hiking boots? I like backcountry fishing so I'd like to figure out the footwear issue too. It's a pain taking two pairs of boots, but I never could figure out how to avoid that, unless you don't mind wearing wet boots the whole trip.

They're hiking boots that are made of generally a mess material that dries real fast. I guess you could say theyre a hiking water shoe more than anything. My whole thing is I'm going to be hiking 5-10 miles per day and waders are not even close to an option. My biggest thing right now is seeing how much support these shoes give me.

I purchased a pair of Italian hiking boots many years ago for a trip out west......they still perform like champs......did some serious training in them--running, hiking, creek walking etc....

the brand name is: asolo

not sure if they are still around or not, but the boots I bought are built like a tank

waterproof, unreal support--lace system is awesome
real rugged, real mean looking hiking boots

Those amphibious boots might work out well for you, if they really do dry out fast. If they still stay a little damp, you might want to carry something like moccassins for around your camp in the evening. Moccassins and a pair of warm, dry thick socks. Got to keep the tootsies comfortable. If your feet are in wet footwear all day, it's miserable.

By "the beginning" do you mean the 100 Mile Wilderness? If so, you'll have a great time. It isn't as rugged as the southern ME and NH portions of the trail, so you can get away with lighter boots.

If you can find comfortable amphibious hikers, that should work. Personally, i'd buy get the most comfortable, lightest boots available, and take along wading sandals.

Ian,

The beginning as in Baxter State Park which is where it begins. It begins right before Mount Katahdin. I'll be on camping just off of the actual trail then hiking it during the day as it runs parallel to a real nice stream.

no problem.... i just bought another pair. got the new cross currents and love them. only 79.99 and come with the felt sole and lug sole. very comfortable..........

Back