American Fly Fishing by Paul Schullery

R

rrt

There may be a previous thread about this book, since it is 35 years old now. But, if there is not, there probably should be.

Anyhow, I just re-read my copy of "American Fly Fishing." It really is a pretty thorough examination of the development of fly-fishing in America up through about 1990. Paul Schullery traces the background of American fly fishing from its historical background in Europe, especially Britain. He then progresses through its historical development in America up through 1990. The book reads well, though you must concentrate on what you are reading to profit as much as you should from Schullery's research. My copy must have been published after 1999, since there is a 4-page "Afterword" written in 1999. The book discusses the development of rods, reels, lines, and flies. The book includes lots of information about important fly-fishers of the past up through 1990.

The 257-page book is an 8 X 10" book, and the print is relatively small (but easily readable), so you know the book is filled with a lot of information.

As I progressed through the book, I wondered how many fly-fishermen, especially younger ones, know who some of the important developers of the American scene even are. Would they even know (or even care to know) who Theodore Gordon is? How about Louis Rhead?

IMO, this is a valuable book for fly-fishermen to read if they want to see how their modern-day sport gradually developed. (I'm not sure where to look for it, since it is likely out of print; but for fly-fishermen who care about their sport's development, it would be well worth the search.)

I am glad I re-read the book, and I would give it a 5 out of 5 because of its presentation and its explanations about American fly fishing. I encourage all literate fly-fishermen to look for the book and to read it. Schullery is a great researcher/writer about fly-fishing.

I like everything I've ever read by Schullery. Fly Fishing Secrets of the Ancients is a favorite.

Heavy favorite. I read it early in my exposure to fishing writing, and I'm glad I did. It's a gold standard.

I'm only about an hour from Manchester, and I've passed by the museum he seems to have been a huge part of many times. Still need to stop in one day.

“As I progressed through the book, I wondered how many fly-fishermen, especially younger ones, know who some of the important developers of the American scene even are. Would they even know (or even care to know) who Theodore Gordon is? How about Louis Rhead?”

Very few to none would know those names.

PAFF Is definitely an older and or more experienced audience. ( look at Faceboo ) I’m no great angler- not a very good caster or fly tier (really I don’t like tying but maybe as I get older I’ll tie more and fish less) but I am very experienced and have had lotsa of personal observations. I at least know what’s usually going on even if I am not landing fish. Seems like the newer entries to the sport pick up the nymph rod and tie on a rainbow warrior (which I’m sure will have some success) without even knowing why they are fishing it??

But maybe it’s the same as the dude with $2000 bunch waders , rod and gear being out fished by a 9 year old with a Snoopy rod.

I don’t think kids under 30 read books, do you?

I’m not totally sure if I’ve read this book. Today maybe the day I start compiling a reading list of books and check out my local library for their selections.

Just found and ordered it on amazon

I bought American Fly Fishing shortly after it was published in 1987. Paul Schullery was the first director of The American Museum of Fly Fishing who published the book.

The entire book is excellent, but my primary interest in it was for the chapter "The Tackle Revolution". There had been relatively little written about bamboo rods prior to the 1990s, and Schullery gave a good overview of their early development.

Back