Alternatives to Tippet

kelso2340

kelso2340

Does anybody use any kind of bulk spinning line for a tippet? The cost of some of the 30yd spools can add up quick. I see many people suggesting P-Line flouro for tippet. Some guys use vanish. I find it hard to believe that these could work well for nymphing and dries. Let me know what you think.

Kelso,
I use bulk spinning line for leader material all the time but generally not for tippet material - at least not for trout fishing as I feel most tippet brands are a bit finer and limper. But yes, you're correct, the cost difference is significant and the difference between cheap 8lb test spinning line and name brand tippet material of the same strength is pretty small.

That and a lot of spinning lines say 6lb test but are far under that.

Buy guide sppols; a lot more money up front, but cheaper by the foot and last a long time.

What mkern said:

http://compare.ebay.com/like/200402123183?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&rvr_id=218908773938&crlp=1_263602_309572&UA=WXI8&GUID=c9ecdc2f12e0a0aa17c105c1fff9b3b9&itemid=200402123183&ff4=263602_309572

http://www.fishwest.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=RI32PFTG&Category_Code=005leaders_tippets&Store_Code=flyshop

I think the guide spool suggestions for your smaller tippet (5 and 6 X, 7 if you use it) are a good idea. Once you get to 4X and above, you probably could move to bulk mono.

I think if you are going to fork over the money for guide spools in 4, 5, and 6x you should just buy a tapered leader for $5 and not buy a spool of spinning line.

The second link tuna had is awesome.

Powerflex is $5 a spool and for twice the price you get 3-4 times the ammount.
The downside to powerflex is that it's mono and will only last a couple years under ideal conditions.

Just a thought.... Nothing against guide spools, but unless you fish a lot, the line will go bad and have to be thrown away long before you would make your way through the entire spool.

I think for most of us it still comes out better to buy standard tippet spools even though they are fairly pricey. Just my opinion.

Back