Alternatives to Pine and Kettle

Breeze717

Breeze717

This year I've finally laid the spin rod down for good and taken up ff exclusively. As such, it will be my first time heading up to my parents place in Lycoming to fish with no spin gear. A buddy and I want to fish Saturday and Sunday next weekend, but want to try and avoid the MDW crowds. My parents live at the top of Slate Run rd so, we have quick access to Pine and Kettle, but I'm sure they will be crowded. Does anyone have any thoughts on streams that may be a little less crowded? I've never fished Slate, since it's ffo, or Young Womans, are these streams traveled less? Any opinions and thoughts will be appreciated. Thank you.

PM sent.

Bigger rivers can sometimes be intimidating for new fly fishers, however, they can sometimes be easier to fish as they often continue to fish well despite heavier pressure.

Anyway, I like Pine Creek in the special reg section but this does tend to be more crowded. Try outside of the reg water, especially in the evening. I have enjoyed some nice hatches on Pine outside of the reg section and had the water all to myself.

Slate Run (the stream) is legendary but, in my opinion, much tougher to catch fish than Pine and it tends to get "put down" by angling pressure. Fish SR, by all means, but I wouldn't recommend this stream for beginners. As we say in FFing circles, SR is a "technical stream."

hike the rails to trails above tiadaughton, you'll find more solitude and lots of fish on pine

Back