alternative to multisection wading staffs

"Never saw a western guide use one-just the nimrods.lol"

Well, I don't fish in the west or hire guides, but I certainly do not care how I look when I fish. In many eastern waters (savage tailwater, etc), a wading staff or pole is a good idea: it can add saftey and productivity, so I use one. And a pair of trekking poles ia a big advantage on long or hard hikes. The first time used them on a familiar railroad grade scetion - about a half hour hike - I hiked for the usual amount of time and went right past my turnoff point because I was going so much faster.

pete41 wrote:
I am talking Madison,Yellowstone etc.
Never saw a western guide use one-just the nimrods.lol

I never had a need for one out west. Try wading the salmon river at 1000+ cfs plus runoff and get back to me. I could always get another broom stick for you.

No doubt, the Salmon river, that place is crazy to wade..I took a spill on the Salmon, not fun, as it was cold and I was wet...

More then just safty alone, like kbob eluded to, Wading with a staff is much more effcient the with out, and at the end of the day easier on the body..\

When I took that spill on the Salmon I didn't have a staff...

tomgamber wrote:

Do you understand the concept of discussion? Pete's an ornery old cuss but he's not rude.

Who said anything about rude and what type of fly rod can be used as a wading staff?? 14wt for a 100 pound woman??

He said bull and got called on it.

you put it in butt first-lol
done it many times
sat here laughing at the discussion-finally thought a gentle hint about learning how to wade was in order.

Whatever pete... i heard toothpicks can be stuck in your felt for a substitute for studs also.

I've worn out several broom handles over the years. Couple of years ago I decide to buy a real wadding staff, what a mistake. I bought a Dan Bailey staff, what a piece of junk. The dam thing cost $50.00, it make so much noise when it hit any rock or anything on the bottom, you could hear me coming from afar. I was going to throw it away but I made some changes, now it's not to bad.

I still have my broom handle!

PaulG

i only use a wading staff when in very fast and unfamilliar waters where it is stained and i cant see the bottom well or at all i use it to feel around and i haven't had a problem with my sectional wading staff and i take it everywhere you never know when you will need it for snakes and such

Back