Allen

smallie

smallie

Looking for my first fly rod and reel. I would be fishing streams like coolsprings, neshanock, and some rivers. I was looking at the allen alpha 5/6. Needing a rod to go with it. Any thoughts? Thanks

I own the reel and have nothing but good things to say. the only mention I will make is that it does not have a sealed drag (which none at that price point do). The only reason I mention it is that if you plan on fishing winter conditions it has the tendency to freeze up. There are plenty of rods on the market that are priced well for intro. I recommend going to your local shop and casting a few and see what feels best for you. Every rod has a different action and depending on your casting style you may prefer one over the other. IMHO.

I'd recommend you go to a local shop, get to cast a few, and go from there.

other rods to look for if you want to try e-bay (and stay around $150) is

G.loomis GL3 - this will be the best rod you can get IMO and will grow with you along the way and be a go-to rod in 20 years. Plus Loomis has their expeditor service which you can have a new rod, with no ?s asked, if you break it.

other options would be a sage DS2, Orvis clearwater, st. croix avid.

Also, Allen rods are coming soon. e-mail him and let him know what you are looking for and he can get you a timeframe of when available.

Smallie,

How much coin are you willing to drop for a rod, reel, and backing/line?

I think this is probably the most important information, from there we can guide you better.

Skil Thanks I emailed Allen he said he has a nano ti series $225 The alpha for $70 . Couple months for his line. I figure with everything to get started 400-500? I do plan on a lot of winter fishing(laid off during winter).

Colton has sale going on right now rods are made in England . They are all fast action though how is your casting ?

http://coltonfly.com/

From the Colton website:

Where can you try a Colton fly rod? Where can you look at a Colton fly reel? We are confident that you will be more than satisfied with our products. So, if you are interested in one of our products then buy it. If for any reason you do not like the product you can return it for a full refund including the freight charges.

Fred, they are from Dingman's Ferry, PA according to the website. How do you know these are manufactured in England? Do you have one and how do you like it?

Rather than throw a ton of money at this, maybe just try a reasonably low cost starter kit from a big box store?

My first setup was a $80 kit from ****'s by Redington. Added some leaders, tippet, and flies. You don't have to get hung up spending lots, yet... Do you have a friend who can assist, or a local shop that's willing to give you some help in matching equipment to needs? If you don't have a buddy, just be up front with a couple of local shops, and see where htye point you. You don't have to buy the first thing someone puts in your hand, so let them know what you want to do, what you want to spend, and see if you can start a lasting relationship with your new dealer.

A few short years later, and I consider $80 to be a mild price to pay for a 30 minute jaunt to the fly shop. :)

welcome to the forum smallie! I live just south of ya in harlansburg. I fish coolspring quite a bit, might see ya out there. I hit the neshannock once in a while, but usually too many people around for my tastes.
pm me if you ever want to hook up. there are quite a few of us in the west central part of pa, we try to get together once in a while and actually fish!
oh yeah, (and I'll get yelled at for this) you don't need to spend a fortune on gear, trust me, it's the fisherman that catches the fish, not the gear. get a rod that feels comfortable, a decent reel. a good line is an investment that will last years. save your money for flies/leaders/tippet/etc.
you don't need a 300 dollar rod or a 200 reel to catch trout and enjoy yourself.

Thanks Biker, I normally float the Allegheny and smallmouth fish. Fly fishing is all new to me. It would be nice to fish with a couple guys to show me how. Thanks for the welcome!

try french creek for smallies! I've even got into walleye on the flyrod there. it's def an underfished gem.
oh yeah, the white fly hatch on the slippery rock ain't half bad ;-)

In a timely turn of events, the new 2011 Cabelas catalog showed up today.

My answer is:

R.L. Winston Passport 9' 4wt (get 5wt if you just have to) with the Cabelas Prestige Premier reel and SA GPX line. That's $200 rod that was very, very highly rated in a recent shoot out, topping many $600 rods, a $80 reel, $70 awesome line (GPX is 1/2 size heavier and will assist beginner is casting fast action rods at shorter distances) and backing for a total of $270.

http://www.yellowstoneangler.com/Photo%20Gallery/FinalResults5weightrodcomparison5weightrodtest5weightrodreview.htm

*before everyone starts, yes it is just a review by 4 very knowledgeable anglers using the best standardized test that they could. YMMV.

http://www.yellowstoneangler.com/FlyRodReview.Best5weightflyrod.HardyZenith.SageZ-axis.WinstonB3x.WinstonBIIIx.LoomisNRX.SageVXP.StCroixLegendEliteTempleforkBVK.asp

Or the Cabela's 3 Forks and their Prestige reel for $80.

If you think you'll stick with it, spend a little more. If you're unsure, don't. If someone here is offering you to go out, you should jump on it.

I dunno, then again, I'm cheap...

JackM wrote:
From the Colton website:

Where can you try a Colton fly rod? Where can you look at a Colton fly reel? We are confident that you will be more than satisfied with our products. So, if you are interested in one of our products then buy it. If for any reason you do not like the product you can return it for a full refund including the freight charges.

Fred, they are from Dingman's Ferry, PA according to the website. How do you know these are manufactured in England? Do you have one and how do you like it?

Because I talk to Bob about his products on the phone several times . And have seen posts on stripersonline from people who live in England that confirmed it . I own serveral of the rods and reels and like them a lot you can't beat the price either . Bob is based out of Dingman's but he doesn't have a shop there . There is a lot info about his products on stripers online if you need more info or just give him a call he will gladly talk about his rods for you .

Smallie if your going to fish for big river smallies I recomend that you get a 8 wt also when you get the money .

Smallie , since it's only January you have plenty of time to build one , it's not as difficult as you think. If you can tie flies you can build a rod and you get much more bang for your buck. Most fly shops carry blanks and rod building supplies and they will help you get what you want. Along with the enjoyment of catching fish on a rod you made yourself , it's less expensive for a good name rod.

Jdaddy has good advice, get a decent beginner/intermediate set up. If you plan on doing a good amount of smallie and trout fishing on big water a 6wt would be great. It might not be the best with sz 24 midges but you never know.

Fredrick, as far as a 2nd rod goes, unless you plan on seeking muskies/using it for steel, i think an 8wt is a little overkill for smallies. just my opinion.

Back