Allen Myth 10' 4 wt

Foxgap239

Foxgap239

I got my custom made Allen Myth last weekend but didn't get to try it out until yesterday. I also got a nice deal from Justin on an Allen 5/7 Trout Reel in black. I actually put 5 wt line on the reel even though the rod is a 4wt. I put a George Daniel Stren leader on it and tried his style of "sighter" nymphing. I like the rod and reel combo but I didn't like the leader setup. I will give the nymphing style another try in the future but in the short term I'm going to put a 12' knotted tapered leader down to 5X on for an upcoming trip to Centre County.

I think I'm going to like it a lot. Attached is a picture of the rod, reel and first trout caught on the new toy.

Edit: I have only ever used 2 piece rods and this is a 4 piece. During one of my casts yesterday the top piece went with the fly line into the stream (fortunately hooked by my fly and I was able to get it back). Any pointers on making sure that doesn't happen that easily? Thanks.

Attachments

• Saucon Brownie 20120411 First on Myth.jpg
    Saucon Brownie 20120411 First on Myth.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 15
I just Went over their offerings. Your rod looks like a great setup. How is the turn around time from when you placed your order to delivery?

Ohh and nice catch too!

Pauly, I didn't get my rod from Allen but from another guy who got the blank from Allen at the Lancaster Fly Show. So when he offered it to me, he already had the blank in hand so my turn around may be moot. That said, my guy had it to me about 3 weeks after I gave him the go ahead but he had it done almost a week before that and waited to let a friend bring it to me.

Wow, that guy did a nice job on your Myth.

I got the 10' 4wt at the Somerset show, and I've fished this rod almost exclusively since then. I really like it! Doesn't feel like a 10' rod - more like a 9'er. It's a very versatile rod, and it's two best qualities IMO are sensitivity when nymphing, and accuracy when throwing dries - something a 10' rod doesn't usually do well. The hardware on the factory built rods is also top notch. It's a well built rod, for sure, and well worth the price.

Fox - rub a little paraffin wax on the male ferrules. That should keep them from casting apart, and also keep them from getting stuck.

Fox, I think I know how to cure this, but you'll have to let me have the rod for a few years while I test my theory.:)

Foxgap239 wrote:

Edit: I have only ever used 2 piece rods and this is a 4 piece. During one of my casts yesterday the top piece went with the fly line into the stream (fortunately hooked by my fly and I was able to get it back). Any pointers on making sure that doesn't happen that easily? Thanks.

I'm fishing the 10ft 4wt Myth too. I'm very happy with it. I'll second Heritage Ed on the nymphing sensitivity and ability to throw dries well. I would add that it roll casts a mile and chucks streamers like a 6wt.

Back