Allen Kraken or Ross Canyon

L

Lonewolve

Looking at getting a reel for my Scott G 14' 9 wt Spey, must be Saltwater friendly and have a great drag, This also will see duty as a Salmon Steelhead reel for Niagara/Genesee, as well as for Delaware River Stripers. Right now its either a Ross Canyon #6 or #7 or possibly a Allen Kraken ..will have to hold my Airflo Delta full floater an appropriate sized backing.
Anyone have any input on larger Allen reels? I sent a message via Facebok and also their website..have heard nothing back.

I do not have any feedback for the Allen reels. I have used the Ross Canyons since they came out. I have had no issues with them. I've used them from the Great Lakes Tribs to the salt. I've had one fall off the roof of a moving vehicle with only a little road rash and it still works fine. The Momentum will do just as fine although I think it has too much porting for a BG reel. Also, don't look past the CLA's. The larger sizes can handle the bigger fish.

Hi lonewolve,

Sorry if we have not got back with you yet. Please PM me here and I'll help with what you are needing. We have been in Cabo, Mexico fishing our new Kraken, Trout, and Alpha drags. We are catching up on things since we got back.

If you prefer to emaill me. Please use info@allenflyfishing.com

Thank you,

Justin

Hi Rick, I just looked my FB msg's and look like we sent you a reply on the 18th. Here is a copy of the FB msg.

Hi Rick, Yes, the Kraken will have no issues in cold weather. AJ who takes care of our customer service emails lives in Buffalo and uses the reel in the winter with no issues. Also, all 3 of us are heading back from Cabo right now and the Kraken caught over 20 dorado and skip jack tuna with no issues at all.

Let me know if I can help with anything.

Thank you,

Justin

No experience with the Ross real but just recently got the 5/6 version of the Kraken and it's pretty neat. I got in on a special they were running a few weeks ago and I'm pretty confident it has no competition at the price that I paid! Have only taken it fishing once but the quality seems pretty great and I'm thrilled with how light it is.

Back