Allen hooks

D

Dcap240

Anybody here use Allen hooks? They're very cheap, free shipping and if you spend $30 you get a nice fly box for $3.75, spend $40 you get 2 boxes for same price. Are they the same quality as tiemco or mustad? It's $2.25 for 25 dry fly hooks sizes 8-20. $7.00 for 25 tiemco hooks is kinda pricey IMO.

I wouldn't hesitate to use them, they are nice.

Just got a shipment of Allen hooks. Been using them for a while now. I get E-mail specials at times. This last batch of hooks I ordered was half price. Quality is good. Been ordering a lot of barbless hooks lately.

I have ordered from them and am pleased with the products.

Just got back from visiting my son in Boise, ID. We caught beaucoup trout on hot spot nymphs I tie on Allen scud hooks. No problems at all and some of the trout were pigs. I like their hooks (and their prices.)

Slightly off-topic, but just got two of their compartment fly boxes with the half foam side/ half compartment in the mail today.

Was able to consolidate my 4 smaller fly boxes into them and still have a lot of room in the foam. Very nice looking quality for half price of 12.99 each.

Going to look out for any future hook specials and give them a shot...

I definitely like them. They have a fairly broad selection, and the hooks all come really sharp. I've never bought any of the more expensive brands though, other than a couple packs of mustad nymph hooks that I bought before I heard about Allen. I can't see myself ever spending more on hooks when these work just fine. I actually caught their half off sale the other week, and got a bunch of hooks for like $1.50 a pack! It was awesome! If you buy from them make sure you subscribe to their email list so you don't miss the specials.

The price is great. I have only ordered hooks form Allen one time. The order was for standard dry fly, scud, and tiemco 200R type hooks.

The tiemco 200R type hooks seem very good.

The dry fly hooks were made from a wire diameter much heavier than any of the Tiemco or Mustad hooks of the same hook size. Even nymph hooks like 3906B. Being that a standard dry fly hook by definition is normally made from 1x fine wire I used the Allen dry fly hooks for nymphs.

The scud hooks were also made from heavier than expected wire, but I did not have any other heavy scud hooks to compare them too.

YMMV.

I have. I like the new hooks and improvements to the company. I ordered hooks a number of years ago not long after they started selling them. I tried them for the price and b/c they sponsored the forum that I read (just as I support my local shop for their service, I feel I should send business to all who provide information to me). The hooks were not particularly good and I had huge problems with Allen fulfilling my order and bad interactions with them. Not a bad guy, but he seemed to be over whelmed with the growth of the company. A few months ago, I decided the to give another shot (mainly for the reason stated above and posts here). The service was much improved and the hooks were better than the first time I ordered them. I agree with short rod that some of the hooks seemed heavier than expected. They are not as good or consistent as TMC, but hey look at the price difference! I'll probably be ordering again.
I shared my first experience not to give them a backhanded slam, but rather alert others who had a bad experience with them early in the company's development and expansion to give them another shot.

I think I'll give them a shot. If I order 3 or 4 packs to try them out and I don't like them I'm only out $10-$12. If they are too heavy I can use them for nymphs as was said. I do like the tmc and mustad hooks and that is mostly what I'm using but $5-$7 for 25 hooks is a lot. I got some eagle claw laser sharp dry fly hooks on eBay a while back and did like them( $6something for 100) but they seem to be hard to find in smaller sizes. Thanks

Hello,

Just noticed the thread on our hooks. "nymphingmaniac" is 100% right. My team now has made my job easier and we concentrate on customer service. I want to personally think you for giving us another try.

Our hooks have grown so fast in volume over the years. We have completely moved out of China and the quality has reflected that. Our hooks are now produced in Korea and Japan. We are still cycling out some of the lower volume China hooks, but those are almost gone now.

If I can help with anything, please let me know.

Thank you,

Justin

I've ordered hooks recently and have been very satisfied with service and quality. I have become a big fan of their barbless hooks.

I have literally tied thousands of flies with these hooks, and only ever had one issue. The flies have been fished all over the country as well, and in different conditions. I have personally fished them with real feel temperatures of -2 and never noticed any brittleness in the hooks. I think I had caused the single issue when I pinched the barb on the hook, making the hook brittle. Now that they have barbless, that should be a non issue as well.

GREAT company, and great customer service. They elped me out with an auction I had put together for a young girl with cancer. Can't say enough about them and thank them for helping me out.

You should not be disappointed, and If you have any issues bring it up with them, they will do what they can to resolve your problem.

I too enjoy their barbless hooks, and have had more then one pentrate into my finger. DEEP

mike_richardson wrote:
Now that they have barbless, that should be a non issue as well.

Mike,

I agree with everyone you said, though their barbless hooks are exceptional. I really like how the barbless hooks look, as they have an incredible finish and really are sharp! Combine this with the facts that Allen discounts when you buy 100 of a type and additionally offers free shipping on hooks...it's a no-brainer.

TC

Perusing their site they do look good. But, the scud hook only goes as small as 14! Not good, especially as I am tying 20's for summer fishing.

I have never used them but they look pretty decent. I'm sure I will give them a shot at some point.

MD_Gene - their model N203 scud hooks go down to size 22.

Hi dc410,

Thanks for taking a look at the site. We are working in smaller sizes. I'm in Asia now having several meetings regarding our hooks along with other things. We've made the move out of China to Korea and Japan (soon). We've been discussing smaller sizes and adding several other hooks to the line up. The smaller you go the harder they are to make and maintain quality.

We will add a new scud hook to the site next week as well.

Thank you

Justin

i just received an order of hooks from allen and i'll just say you better go over the invoice to ensure you receive the hooks you ordered.

after checking my invoice vs the bags of hooks i noticed that i did not receive some of the hooks i ordered (they were checked off by somebody), received a quantity of 2 when i only ordered 1 of one style of hook and received 3 bags of hooks i didnt even order.

good luck if you order hooks

Normand,

Your error is definitely not the norm for our pick/packers. Three or Four years ago it might have been an issue when I was doing it all myself. Unfortunately, human errors do happen. Us and all companies try to limit those the best we can.

I can assure anyone who orders from us your order will be shipped on time with fast delivery, filled, and backed by our 7 day a week customer service.

Normand, if you want to email me at info@allenflyfishing.com I'll take care of it with Kyle to send you the missing hooks. We also have a phone number listed on the site if you prefer to contact us that way or we can contact you via phone with the number you have listed in your account.

Thank you,

Justin

I, and many others on this site, can testify to the great service Justin has provided... He will make it right for you!

Back