Allen Hooks?

flyfishermanj

flyfishermanj

Guys and Gals,

I have done some research here on the forum about Allen hooks, and was wondering if anyone has tried them recently. The reviews I have read thus far are favorable, especially on the scud style hooks. They also suggest that the dry fly hooks needed a little tweaking. Has anyone tried out their streamer/bugger hooks? Seriously thinking of placing an order for the winter tying season.

JH

Been thinking about trying some myself, but seeing as J. Stockard's generic line is still expanding and has yet to disappoint me, I have no real reason to change my hook choice.

The allen hooks are nice. I have not used the streamer/bugger hooks but I get my steelhead hooks from them and they are a stout hook. I get the 2457 model hooks in size 8 and 10s. No problems for me thus far.

Allen hooks are a great deal, especially if you only buy in 25 packs. I bought a pretty varied selection, and was very pleased with the quality. I especially liked the 2488's, and the dry fly hooks (100's) were good as well.

They have a good finish, and seem durable. They bend easier than Tiemcos, but they're not as brittle either. Out of several hundred hooks, I got 2 or 3 with malformed eyes. Not bad, considering the price. All were very sharp as well.

There were two models/sizes that they were out of stock on. Justin sent me a couple dollar bills and a letter of apology in the mail! Who does that these days?

My next large hook order will go to Allen Fly Fishing.

Allen>J.Stockard imho.i have a bunch of JS that are really soft i mean i bent them with 6/0 danville . Sabers same catagory very usable hooks fish good just require a little of attention with a hook sharp every now and then as do all hooks .

I'm with HA on the hooks. A few bad eyes here and there but not too bad. I've also had a few odds and ends hooks mixed in here and there. Overall fairly happy with them. I think wire sizes are a bit off. I took some dry hooks and put them in with nymphs due to the wire being too thick. But I think they have been tweaking a bunch of things over there at Allen the last few months.

So I see Allen is sold out of a lot of hooks, but he has his 'premium' ones in stock.

Does anyone know what makes them premium?

they are the redesigned hooks i hear the dry hooks are better porportion salmon hooks and a better sharping /finish

I just ordered two sizes of nymph hooks and I'm anxious to see how they are. I would love to give my business to him if for no other reason than I love what I hear about his customer service.

Just received my order of hooks from them yesterday. Hooks seem to be sharp with what looks like a micro barb.
Pleased with the purchase..

Okay, ordered my hooks Sunday, got them Wednesday and I like the looks and feel of them. They tie very nice and don't break like Mustad's when I pinch the barbs. They are premium hooks but 25 for less than $4 and shipped free. How can you beat that? This guy probably now has my nymph and streamer hook business for good. I'll have to give the dry hooks a try before I make a decison on those but I think they'll be fine too.

Have any of you tried the premium line from Allen? I really like their nymph hooks but want to try the premium dry fly hooks.

Back