Allegheny @ West Hickory

Mucka

Mucka

Anyone know anything about the gauges up there? I was planning on doing an overnight float this weekend, but with the pending rain in the forecast for the next couple days I dont want to head up there for potentially life threatening flows. Does anyone know what a good level to float is (or tipping point to where it is too high)? Fishing is a bonus only really, this is a fathers day make-up trip for me and my dad. I cant even tell you how many times we have done this float later in the year, but usually its August and dry and never even had to think to look at gauges. Right now its at about 3300cfs and climbing slightly? already seems quick to me- any insight would be much appreciated!

It's a tailwater. Rains have an effect, moreso the further you get from the dam. But the big influence is what they do with the dam in response to rains.

Rising early is not a surprise. It's very common for dams to release water ahead of a rain to drop the pool, and then hold back as everything else is flooding, and then once the streams come down, they release water again to get back to the desired pool height.

Back