All the Time in the World -- John Gierach

R

rrt

This is Gierach's newest collection of stories. If you read Trout magazine, you will recognize some of the stories in the book.

If you are a veteran fly-fisherman who has read many books, you will find that Gierach's newest collection of stories is similar to some of his previous books. His formula of I went fishing (where), with (whom), (when), and during (kind of weather) is dominant in the new book. What is different is that most of the fishing in the book takes place near Gierach's home in Colorado because of his reluctance to travel during the pandemic. I thought this was a nice twist from his previous books.

If you have read a lot of Gierach, you might rate the book with only a 3 out of 5. If you have not read much of him, you would probably rate the book somewhat higher because he writes well and slips in a lot of cute one-liners. He really is about the only fly-fisherman out there who consistently writes interesting stories of this type. If you want something to help you put in a few hours of time (since television basically sucks), you might want to shell out the $25.00 most dealers want for the book.

When I first read "All the Time in the World" it made me think of the line uttered by Bond (George Lazenby's Bond) when he held his dying wife at the end of On Her Majesty's Secret Service. I thought we'd have our first Bond reference in the forum. I thought this post was a reference to the film.

I guess this means I need to read A LOT more angling literature.

This is Gierach's newest collection of stories. If you read Trout magazine, you will recognize some of the stories in the book.

If you are a veteran fly-fisherman who has read many books, you will find that Gierach's newest collection of stories is similar to some of his previous books. His formula of I went fishing (where), with (whom), (when), and during (kind of weather) is dominant in the new book. What is different is that most of the fishing in the book takes place near Gierach's home in Colorado because of his reluctance to travel during the pandemic. I thought this was a nice twist from his previous books.

If you have read a lot of Gierach, you might rate the book with only a 3 out of 5. If you have not read much of him, you would probably rate the book somewhat higher because he writes well and slips in a lot of cute one-liners. He really is about the only fly-fisherman out there who consistently writes interesting stories of this type. If you want something to help you put in a few hours of time (since television basically sucks), you might want to shell out the $25.00 most dealers want for the book.
Agree with your take on this book. I like his spin on things that you don't normally dwell upon. Very relatable. He lead the league in hits with men on base.

Back