Alert: New Woefully Addicted Trout Fiend

ntallen

ntallen

Hi All, I'm new to the forum and have been lurking a a little bit thus far. I live in the Lancaster Area & have had a miserable addiction to trout fishing ever since 2020. Great to be on here & to discuss happenings and all things fly fishing.

A few questions:
1. Is there a compatible 3rd party reader app for smooth browsing on mobile?
2. Does anyone have a recommendation for some reading material on thoroughly cold trout fisheries in the state? I've been jonesin and I have slowly, slowly added locations to my list...thus far, I am mostly limited to streams from 1.5 to 2 to 3hrs outside of flatland Pennsylvania. I also find that I'm a bit lazy/inept for spring creeks and fighting the dense vegetation (i.e. Letort/Big Spring humble me more than I desire)

Besides that, I thoroughly enjoy tying nymphs and dries.

Welcome aboard. I'm from Lancaster also.

I can't answer 1.
But two, hands down is Dwight Landis's book on Trout Streams of Pennsylvania.
Hi All, I'm new to the forum and have been lurking a a little bit thus far. I live in the Lancaster Area & have had a miserable addiction to trout fishing ever since 2020. Great to be on here & to discuss happenings and all things fly fishing.

A few questions:
2. Does anyone have a recommendation for some reading material on thoroughly cold trout fisheries in the state? I've been jonesin and I have slowly, slowly added locations to my list...thus far, I am mostly limited to streams from 1.5 to 2 to 3hrs outside of flatland Pennsylvania. I also find that I'm a bit lazy/inept for spring creeks and fighting the dense vegetation (i.e. Letort/Big Spring humble me more than I desire)

I also find that I'm a bit lazy/inept for spring creeks and fighting the dense vegetation (i.e. Letort/Big Spring humble me more than I desire)
Buy or build a shorter, lighter rig for the small water. None of us want only one flyrod.

To piggyback on Dave’s answer to 2, another good option, “Keystone Fly Fishing - The Ultimate Guide to Pa’s Best Water” is a great resource. Besides being great for researching fishing locations it has tons of other useful information on hatches, patterns and other good stuff from some top notch contributors.

I also find that I'm a bit lazy/inept for spring creeks and fighting the dense vegetation (i.e. Letort/Big Spring humble me more than I desire)
Buy or build a shorter, lighter rig for the small water. None of us want only one flyrod.
Letort and Big Spring are pretty wide open. I think the OP is referring to the "dense vegetation" in the stream and not on the banks of the stream.

Welcome aboard. GG

A few questions:

I live in Lancaster City and frequently travel across the state to fish. I have a good wealth of knowledge built up from living in State College for 4 years and continuing exploration the past 3 years. If you ever want to tag along let me know. Planning some camping trips for the fall as well

Welcome aboard. I'm from Lancaster also.

I can't answer 1.
But two, hands down is Dwight Landis's book on Trout Streams of Pennsylvania.
Thank you and thank you for the recommendation. I've got the Keystone Fly Fishing Book, and this seems like a perfect addition to assist.

I live in Lancaster City and frequently travel across the state to fish. I have a good wealth of knowledge built up from living in State College for 4 years and continuing exploration the past 3 years. If you ever want to tag along let me know. Planning some camping trips for the fall as well
I greatly appreciate your offer & I'd love to join.

Letort and Big Spring are pretty wide open. I think the OP is referring to the "dense vegetation" in the stream and not on the banks of the stream.
Precisely this. I think that I'm better suited for springs once things thin out a bit, or, when I'm in a period of greater success than I've been on at this point in the year. I've been getting humbled ever since the Drakes emergence this year and have been itching ever since--although struggling even further might bring me good ideas and development, those springs push my patience to the edge, especially this time of year. Solid handle btw.

^^^^^^^^
Agreed. Props to Dave Kile for contributing.
Actually, I may have gotten that wrong. Dave Kile contributed to “Keystone Fly Fishing - The Ultimate Guide to Pa’s Best Water” which is a book I actually have.

Letort and Big Spring regularly humble folks who have been fly fishing for decades. If you're fishing there a lot, you'll get better, or you'll get used to it. I haven't fished either one for many years so I'm not very good at it. I don't have any pointers to offer - other than fish somewhere else for awhile.

I am mostly limited to streams from 1.5 to 2 to 3hrs outside of flatland Pennsylvania.

Don't view that as a limitation as you have access to far more trout water than you realize! I'm located between Mount Joy and Elizabethtown and find the location not to be a hindrance to accessing good water within a few hours.

Welcome from your neighbor over in York. Still learning myself so I've no real advice except don't give up. We all suck when we start. Best thing about sucking is you can only get better.

There is also some good wild brown trout water to fish in the river hills of LanCo and York Co, as well as farther inland in York Co.

Back