Alaska Flies

ryguyfi

ryguyfi

I'm headed to Alaska towards the end of August. Should have a chance at all species of salmon except Kings, rainbows, char and greyling. Any go to patterns for those who have fished Alaska before?

I've got the much needed beads plus zonkers and flesh flies, mice, working on some wogs now and a few other random things here and there. What else should I be tying? Patterns or instructions would be welcomed.

Can't go wrong with clousers, comets, or any generic leech pattern really. I like to vary the sparsity of my clousers depending on water clarity... all pretty straightforward stuff. Chartreuse/Bright Electric blue is one of my favorite color combos for pinks and silvers. It might even be worth it to bring a few Prince nymphs or the like along as a trailer behind the streamer- you never know whats gonna get 'em in the mood to strike sometimes. :-D

i tye for a friend in alaska. she likes my doc spratley flies in black,but also uses red sometimes too.

Where are you headed? Do you know what will be running at that time? Reds (sockeye) don't chase flies much, you have to pretty much put it in their mouths so it doesn't matter much. Getting the right weight, drift, leader etc is more important. Silver (coho) like flashy silver/red/purple/black. Take a mixture.

If you're towards the end of a run or at the peak, take flesh flies in different color stages from salmon/pink to white for various stages of decay.

For beads, you may want to stop at the local fly shop when you get there. They're really cheap and if you're not dialed in on the exact color/size the trout are hitting on it can be frustrating. I took a TON of beads my first trip up there and still have them because the trout wouldn't look at them so I went to the local shop and stocked up.

ksherbine wrote:
Reds (sockeye) don't chase flies much, you have to pretty much put it in their mouths so it doesn't matter much. Getting the right weight, drift, leader etc is more important.

+1

For reds, get a strong hook, flouro, sink tips, split shot. Pluck and Chuck.

I tied some flashy estaz on a salmon hook for my red "flies". I can see it in the water better. This helps with your depth and timing.

I'll be staying here and doing a few fly outs to some other locations. http://www.naknekrivercamp.com/

Silvers should be running with tons of bows in the Naknek. Going August 20-27. Should get into some sockeye, pinks and chum from what I've heard. Also char and grayling.

I had luck with various flash flies for silvers. Here are some good recipes: http://www.alaskaflyfishingonline.com/afb/flashfly.html

Actually that whole site has a ton of good flies.

We never fished much for Kings. We fish mostly the Kenai and Russian rivers which are way too crowded to fight a king. Plus unless you're rigged for it to fight them from shore is just asking to lose all your line.

Looks like a great place! I'm anxious to hear how you do.

Thanks! Those flash flies are just that something extra I was looking for. Easy ties too.

I plan to take a ton of pictures and videos so no worries there.

Back