Al Gore wins Nobel Peace Prize

tomgamber wrote:
Well, you are right in one way..the actual science has been dumbed down. But to the point that it is perceived as junk science...hell, I can make gravity should like junk if dilute it enough to try to make someone (who will never understand it ) understand it. Some people just like the earth flat...especially if it has a detrimental effect on their portfolio.

National energy and environmental policy is not based on science, it is based on special interests and a sales job to the public for votes. This is true from both sides of the isle.

I disagree with the prior statement. Science informs and provides justification and also rationalization for the policy views. Some people and politicians arrive at their policy views based upon their perception of the import of the science they find credible. Thus, science influences the policy, even though there are other influences as well, including misinformation, economic concerns, etc.

JackM wrote:
I disagree with the prior statement. Science informs and provides justification and also rationalization for the policy views. Some people and politicians arrive at their policy views based upon their perception of the import of the science they find credible. Thus, science influences the policy, even though there are other influences as well, including misinformation, economic concerns, etc.

Ideally I would agree. Unfortunately that has not been my experience. Which has been reinforced by a number of experiences of trusted friends and colleagues.

Maybe we will get a chance to compare notes at the Jam.

Since cynic wants to go to the Jam, the two of you can work on me over a few beers.

I have a one beer limit when discussing politics. After that we talk fishing. See you there.

tabasco_joe wrote:
I have a one beer limit when discussing politics. After that we talk fishing. See you there.

Hell, that shouldn't take long...

Tabasco-Joe,
Most environmental laws are specifically written to IGNORE economic impacts.

Don't worry about the beer thing. I don't recall any fist to cuffs at any of our outings. I used to think that Merl and Mo were going to rumble, but I came to the conclusion that enjoy the bickering :lol:

Me and bruno got heated over a flyers vs pens argument. I think the closest thing to a physical fight there was that he might have swayed at me once or twice while walking around. There was no swinging of fists though. All harmless. :-D

ryanh wrote:
Tabasco-Joe,
Most environmental laws are specifically written to IGNORE economic impacts.

Don't worry about the beer thing. I don't recall any fist to cuffs at any of our outings. I used to think that Merl and Mo were going to rumble, but I came to the conclusion that enjoy the bickering :lol:

It's not that I'm worried about the discussion getting out of hand. It's that I prefer to spend quality time during fishing trips talking fishing (or hunting). Especially when it's on what I consider my home water. Both my mother and my father's families are from Union County just over the mountain from Woodward. As a toddler my grandfather took me along when he fly fished Penns in the 50s. I've hunted many of those mountains and took my first deer near there. My son caught his first trout on Penns. So it's a very nostalgic place for me.

I'd much rather find out what flies are working, what luck others had, how to tie a certain fly or someone's secret stream. I'm also interested to see how some of the more experienced guys approach the stream, what sections they fish. What other streams in the area they fish. And see if anyone goes to my favorite spot on Penns which is somewhat hard to get to.

Your not really going to change anyone's opinions over a beer unless it wasn't a well thought out idea in the first place. So I don't tend to get very emotional when discussing politics.

Back