After a Decent Rain

Stagger_Lee

Stagger_Lee

when the creeks rise and/or water color is off, what flies are your favorite? I searched rain and couldn't find any info. I know bugger are popular but what color, large or not so large? What other flies do you recommend the night after a decent rain?

Thanks in advance

big dark streamers IMO they can pick out the profile of the black better than a bright colored fly if the water is chocolate.

Big nymphs as well fished deep might work as well.

There's lots of guys that throw big articulated streamers in high water. When the water is up the fish are seeking refuge from the fast flows. That typically means they're hugging the banks. I'd suggest taking out a 7 or 8wt rod, a bunch of streamers and just waking the bank and tossing some big flies. Walking downstream is probably best in this situation. You can use single flies like wooly buggers, and slump busters in sizes 4+ or use some articulated streamers in the 4-6" range if you're looking for big fish. Either way you may only get some chases, but it can be lots of fun because you don't have to worry much about stealth. The fish are in the cover of the stain of the water and will react to a profile moving. Pattern isn't really important. Just get something big with some movement and you'll have a good chance of catching/moving fish.

I can't say from experience but more than once I've read black is the best color in off color water.

RC i can speak from experience and that is a true statement IMO

I put on a 6" circus peanut, put the rod back into the closet and wait for the creeks to clear.

Seriously, good advice above. Look to the banks, dark colors are better and show them something big due to poor visibility.

Stagger_Lee wrote:
when the creeks rise and/or water color is off, what flies are your favorite? I searched rain and couldn't find any info. I know bugger are popular but what color, large or not so large? What other flies do you recommend the night after a decent rain?

I'll second the previous posts.
The conventional wisdom is to use larger flies that are dark in color, typically black (although orange and chartreuse are popular too). However, much of this depends on how off color the water is and how high. Obviously, this is a matter of degree. Sometimes, if the stream is "blown out" to use FFing jargon, it's better to simply fish elsewhere. This is usually when the water is the color of creamed coffee and up to the bank edges or "out of its banks" - meaning essentially flooding.
However, if after a decent rain you hit a stream and the water is less clear or slightly cloudy, these days can fish well. If you don't see surface activity, just try your regular nymph fishing methods in the usual areas but use a bit more weight or split shots as the fish are probably right on the bottom and you'll need more weight to get down. A good nymph for these conditions would be a dark brown stonefly nymph about an inch long. San Juan Worms (I like flesh tone and pink) also seem to work well when the water is up.

Yeah, it really depends on how high and colored the water is.

For what it's worth, contrary to what would seem to be logical, DARK colors show up best in brown water.

Also, the largest trout become piscavorous (fish eating), and lay off the bugs. They take large meals less often. And generally feed either at night or when the water is high and brown, when they are invisible to predators from above, and their prey washes into their zone and doesn't see them coming.

So yes, high and muddy brings the trophy hunters out, for good reason. Black streamers are favored by many, including me.

But there are exceptions. For instance, mid-summer on more urban streams. Runoff is heavy and warm after running over all that hot concrete into storm drains. Water temps spike with the water, fish shut off. Wait for falling water, and cooling water temps, before fishing (but hit it before it's too low again), and the fish will turn on with the improving trend.

And in heavy hatch situations, I've seen fish rise enthusiastically even in high water. There can really be heavy flow and some color, but usually not "chocolate milk" situations. These are some of the best dry fly situations you can get, heavy current and low visibility means fish don't get long to inspect a fly, and poor imitations or slight drag issues don't hurt you so bad. Also, in heavier flows, bugs get washed around and drowned chaotically, much like your fly. The fish aren't so picky about emerger vs. dun (i.e. under the surface, in the film, vs. on top). They also concentrate into eddies and such more, so more fish in a smaller area.

Good stuff guys. Excluding buggers which I have a ton of .. what other streamers are must haves in my fly box as I really don't have any others?

Marabou Muddlers were popular in the past but I'm not sure if that's true today:

w41.jpg

Sculpins are popular:

sculpin10.JPG

I like muddlers. Nice thick profile and good action. But you gotta use a lot of weight, they don't sink very quickly.

Overall, I'm a fan of heavily weighted sculpins.

Back