Affordable Bamboo

B

Burgh

Does anyone use bamboo on a regular basis?
What can I expect to spend to get a decent 3 or 4wt bamboo rod? Essentially I want to know if I get a different feel without having to spend 600+.
I currently fish either a Orvis Clearwater II 3wt or Loomis 6wt. Will a lower priced bamboo rod give me a drastically different feel.
Finally can anyone recommend a good builder?

Not to warp yet another thread, but if cane doesn't meet your budget, and you don't want to deal with used antiques, there's always fiberglass.

There is a 3+ page discussion of this very sort of thing right here on this here forum.

Would I lie to you?

Sorry not trying rehash topics but I would guess that just about every subject has been touched on at some point on this forum so I would think sifting through all of the old post would reveal answers to just about any question. I did a search but since it only reveals the topic titles it could take hours to find the info I was looking for.
If you could point to a specific thread link it would be appreciated.

As far as the cost of high end bamboo I guess my question would be is it a situation that you get what you pay for? I would hate to drop $1000 for a rod only to find that I prefer my $400 Loomis. I was thinking of starting lower end to see if their was a drastically different feel.

Actually, I was busy derailing your thread with another topic than the one you asked about, so I'd hardly think you're rehashing anything.

The thread is called "glass rods," and I can't link to it because I'm in the quick editor and the delimiters have the link posting borken, so you're on your own to go back to Gear and look like 3 threads down.

Someone else will have to weigh in on budget bamboo. I dipped my toe in the water, but wasn't excited enough to dive in.

Dear Burgh,

What you need to do is find some folks who have bamboo rods and test cast a few to see if there is something that strikes your fancy. Bamboo isn't for everyone, some people simply don't care for bamboo rods.

Or you could just buy a South Bend 290 in good or better condition for somewhere around $ 250.00 - 300.00. A 290 is a 7 1/2 foot 5 weight rod. Use it for a while and if you don't like it and you didn't damage the rod you should be able to easily recoup your money.

If you ever get out towards State College or anywhere near Harrisburg let me know in advance and I'll bring along a few rods for you to try. I don't have an extensive or expensive bamboo collection but all the rods I own I also use. They are all rods bult by production bamboo makers of the 1930's - 50's such as Heddon, South Bend, Granger, and Edwards in line weights 5 through 7 and none of them set me back more than $ 300.00.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

I fish bamboo 60%- 70% of the time. I picked up my first rod at a local club's private auction for 60 bucks. I ended up putting another 70 into it redoing the reel seat and cork grip, but otherwise it was in really good shape. My second I found in a potter county antique shop by accident. It happened to be a Montague (between 60-70 years old). They were asking 80 dollars for it. I told em that I would have to do quite a bit of work on it. I will have to find a replacement guide or two to match, rewrap most of the others, and strip and varnish the whole thing. The lady gave it to me for 65. My last one i picked up on ebay for 80. Which i would like to advise against. This rod had many issues, but luckily one of the members on here offered to repair it, for which I am very grateful.

What im trying to say is cheap bamboo fly rods are out there, but expect to have to do some work on them. Sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you dont. Do your research and inspect the rod thoroughly before buying it. Sometimes the smallest detail can end up costing alot, or make the rod worth alot more than you initially expected.

I appreciate the input guys. Tim I am planning on a trip to spring in a few weeks. I will drop you a line when I solidify plans and maybe we could meet up. That is a really generous offer.

Auctions!!!

My Wife's Grandfather works for an auctionier and sees them all the time. He won't spend more than $50 on one for me though.

Most go for less than $200.

Another option is to build one yourself. I recently saw some blanks on ebay that are being made to reproduce classic rods of different manufacturers. some of the ones I was interested in were around $150.00. I don't know where they are made, they are probably being made in China. That's where most of the rod building bamboo comes from. You can find plenty of rod building info on line.

I’ve posted this before but this is just my opinion. Be aware, I am NOT an expert.

Try a few out first. The old excuse of there is none around just doesn’t cut it anymore. Flyshops often have at least one or two. There are people on this Board who fish cane and probably live within driving distance. Trust me, they would love nothing more than to show, show off, bend your ear, coach, help and provide as much as they can towards answering your questions. Try a few out first! Even if it’s not the weight or length you think you may want, it still gives you an idea about the feel of bamboo. Try a few out first! Try a few out first!

After all this, if you still feel like it may be for you, decide what you’re going to do with it. Like graphite, there is no “all things to all people”, rod. Trout, bass, salt? Be aware. Cane is heavier. Nine-foot rods weigh a ton compared to their graphite cousins. Be also aware, the shorter rods, whether older “classics” or those from contemporary makers, can be more expensive than the longer rods. Feeling strong? People also say cane is slower. While this is somewhat true, some surprisingly “fast” rods, especially from the contemporary makers are available. Eight to nine feet is a good place to start for an older vintage rod. I.E it won’t break your bank account. There has been a trend lately with the contemporary makers to offer rods in the seven to seven and a half-foot range. I have a hunch this is where the new demand is going and why not offer something you know you can sell.

Buy from a dealer, especially if this is your first rod. The good ones have been in business for years. They got that way by working with people like you. Call them up tell them what you think you may be interested in. Try to be as specific as you can; action, length, what you plan on doing with it. If this is your first rod, don’t worry about specifying tapers. Tell them what you like to fish. They’ll do the rest. They actually enjoy walking you through this. Good ones give you at least a three-day trial period, no questions asked. Bargains…. you just got one. Someone put you into a rod you’re almost certain to be happy with. Used rods from contemporary makers can often be had cheaper than those brand new. Another plus is there is no waiting period. “Classic” rods can also be had at a good price, especially in the longer lengths. You don’t need a Leonard your first time out. Older production rods, South Bends, Heddons, Grangers, Orvis, can all be had for a price equal too or less than a premium graphite rod. Avoid those with more than an inch off a tip. The action just isn’t the same as originally intended. Contemporary builders can be found at a dealer as they often carry an offering from many of the better or well-known ones. Action? The older production rods tend to be slower with South Bend and Heddon being slow to medium, Orvis medium and Granger a little on the fast side for bamboo. The newer makers tend to be medium to faster. These are general terms though. Montagues, Kingfishers, and rods in a box, AKA, Japan, I tend to stay away from as a rule. There may be some good ones out there but usually it may be the equivalent of a Wal-Mart graphite. Some work, some don’t. Price? Realistically figure on spending $350.00 to $700.00. Price does not necessarily equal quality.

Fish it! This is your first bamboo. You’re not collecting… yet. Don’t buy something you’ll be afraid to use. One of the nice things about bamboo is if you break it, it can usually be fixed. Nice to have two tips though when this happens. Figure on another reel. Bamboo tends to be heavier and there is a good chance your existing reel may be too light. Figure on new line and backing too. You just bought this older Pflueger Medalist 1495 for $45.00 and chances are, it’s the only one you have. It can be a drag swapping lines from reel to reel. Lines are a crapshoot. Many cane owners like double taper lines. Keep in mind the older rods were built with smaller guides so this may be the reason. Chances are, if you own one or two lines around your favorite weight, you’ll find something that fits.

Dealers. Here are only a very few. To my knowledge, they have been around quite awhile and are worth talking too.

Carmine Lisella 845-639-7630
Bob Corsetti 603-886-0411
Len Codella http://www.len@codella.com/
Dave Collyer http://home.attbi.com/~splitcane/rodpage.html

http://clarksclassicflyrodforum.yuku.com/topic/12640/On-Line-Classic-Tackle-dealers

http://clarksclassicflyrodforum.yuku.com/topic/24377/Advice-for-a-First-Time-Custom-Bamboo-Rod-Buyer

There are many, many more. Check out the URL’s above and click on links for additional dealers and information on bamboo. Follow your nose and watch your wallet. Good Luck!

Rolf

hook and hackle has some nice deals on bamboo blanks and kits.

Wow those rods by Collyer are beautiful. If they fish as good as they look........just wow. The inlays are amazing.

bikerfish wrote:

I was considering purchasing one of these kits but never having even built a graphite before I'd hate to screw up boo. Anyone actually see the quality in these H & H blanks?

You can contact Jack Mickievicz, who makes reasonably priced bamboo rods. I've known him for almost 40 years. Last year I casted a 7'-9" rod based on a Payne taper, what a sweet rod. I'll be adding one to my arsenal soon. Here is a link about Jack:

http://www.anglersportgroup.com/daiichi_pros_details.asp?id=38

You can also stop at Phil Baldacchino's Kettle Creep Tackle Shop. He has quite a few reasonably priced bamboo rods.

littlelehigh wrote:
bikerfish wrote:

I was considering purchasing one of these kits but never having even built a graphite before I'd hate to screw up boo. Anyone actually see the quality in these H & H blanks?

If you ever decide to build one, don't think you have to buy one of those rod winding machines and drying motors. If I had a kit that had everything needed, I could build it useing a rat tail file, a phone book, a cardboard box, a roll of masking tape. A tape to measure guide spaceing, I space my guides by eye most of the time, depending on the flex of the rod. A kit will have a guide spaceing guide with it.

buffalo, your right, no special stuff needed to build a rod. I've been building them for 20 years, just this winter I finally built a nice wrapping jig, before that I used a cheap thread tensioner and some homemade rod holders. I've never used a drying motor, since I build old school junk, I use spar varnish and have no need for a drying motor, just brush on a coat and hang it out of the way, repeat till desired results are achieved.
BUT, I wouldn't do a bamboo as a first project, pick up a cheap graphite or glass blank or kit and practice on that first, then go for the boo.
best piece of advice I can give? patience. take your time, don't be in a hurry. that's why I build in the winter, no rush to get a rod done and get to a stream.

bikerfish,
I have a little spool tensioner w/o a rod cradle that clamps on a table. I have wraped them by running the thread through a phone book for tension, just put more weight on the book for tension. Some people use a tying bobbin to wrap rods. As far as drying, I use a cardboard box, I cut slits in it and put the rod in the slits. I use flex coat most of the time. They say to turn it 1/4 turn every 15 minutes, but I turn it more often usualy the first hour. I useualy turn it for more than 2 hours also.

I saw your glass rods on the thread they were nice.

I fish Bamboo 100% of the time. The blue collar cane as they say, you are not going to find in a 3 or 4 wt (heavier weights yes), unless you want to pay big dollars. Hit clarks bamboo forum and some of the other rod building sites. Some Makers do a batch/run on blanks and end up with a few not spoken for and sale them at a reduced price on the forum or to forum members. I have seen blanks for $200 when they sale them for $400 and up. There is no comparison between circular rods and Bamboo. Now lower price bamboo depends on the Maker, there are some good basement markers that compare with some of the recognized rod makers of today. I would stay away from the imported blanks only because of quality control. I haven’t met a rod maker yet that will not share or let you cast rods to make sure you know what you want and get what you want.

Where are you located that will help with a local rod maker?

Joe E

Burgh,
hmmmn, affordable ,thats a two ended statement where it concerns Bamboo. Look at what some Manufacturers will charge for Graphite ,and yet I seldom hear as amny complaints to price as to the cost of a decent Bamboo flyrod. I mean $700.00 plus for the "newest""greatest""fastest" ...simply outrageous if you knew what it actually costs to make the blank itself.
Where it concerns Bamboo, I too am in the Market for my second Bamboo, I have been trying out numerous rods that my buddies own and also at a few shops here in Pa.If could suggest some sources to check out,Art Weiler who makes some great affordale rods (artweiler.com).He also has restored a Horrocks Ibbotson i picked up off fleabay.It looks like new and casts good too,his reproductions of Garrison,Young, Michel,and Payne are spot on to the real deal and the price is right.
Look into Russ Gooding's Goldenwitch Technologies,{goldenwitch.com}He's got a great business located in Stevens ,Pa.He offers blanks and kits and you name it for building these rods as well as for graphite too.He offers classes where you build your own Bamboo fromstart to finish too.
For used rods there's Bob Selb's " Classic Fly Fisherman" (classiflyfisherman.com} Lansdale ,Pa.He always has a selection of used Bamboo rods as well as some new rods and rods that have never been lined too. Also has the best selection of hard to find used flyfishing and flytying books in Pa. Hope this helps
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace

As noted above, contact Len Codella. He is very knowledgeable and helpful.

One thing to remember is boo rods are generally not very forgiving when it comes to casting. For most boo rods you really have to slow down your casting stroke, have good timing and let the rod do the work. If you try and force or muscle a boo rod, your cast will fall apart quickly and you will get very frustrated. But once you get the timing and feel down, there’s nothing like the feeling you get casting a good boo rod. I think more than anything this is what separates those who like boo from those who don’t, those who do are good casters, those who don’t aren’t good casters.

A couple other things, you’ll see rods labeled as fast action or slow action. Fast action is the same as dry fly action and progressive action and slow action is the same as wet fly action and parabolic action. And don’t be misled, in line weights of 3-6, fast action isn’t necessarily stiff, especially in older more classic rods (new boutique rods may be stiffer, though). Fast action has soft tips and the rod gets progressively stronger as you reach the butt section. Slow action rods actually have stiffer tips with a softer midsection and then a stronger butt section. In fact, if you handed a fast action classic boo rod to someone and asked them what the action is, I’ll bet 99/100 would say it is slow action.

And then there are different tapers and this can get confusing. Basically each maker had their own taper so a 7.5’, 4/5wt Grainger rod would feel different than the same length/weight Paul Young rod. And tapers are rod length/line weight specific meaning the same taper name won’t apply to 2 different length/line class – both will have specific taper names. Tapers can get very personal and one taper may fit a certain casting style better than a different taper. While it is probably impractical to try every taper out there, the most common taper for first time boo buyers (and probably the most universally liked taper by everyone) is the Paul Young ‘Perfectionist’ taper (7.5’, 4/5wt).

Back