affordable 4 weight recommendation?

C

cwwbell

A few years back I snapped the tip off my old Loomis GL3 9' 4 weight in a screen door. Since I mostly fish on a small stream (Valley Creek), I replaced it with a 7' 6" St Croix Legend 4 weight. For me the action was way too slow and I've been worthless at setting a hook ever since. I would appreciate any recommendations you might have for an affordable replacement for the Loomis: something in the 8'-9' range with moderate fast to fast action that goes for about $150-$200. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Chris

Cortland "Brook" Series.

There's a couple of 4wts up in the swap forum now, I think?

For $150-200, I don't think you'll find a "new" rod that will match the GL3 you had. You might find a used one for that price but there are some nice rods out there at a decent price. I can't believe you thought the Ultra was too slow. I've cast my buddy's 9' 5wt and I thought it was fairly stiff and fast.

If you want to keep it close to the $200 mark, here's some options:

Ross FW Series $225
Echo Carbon $180
TFO TiCr Lefty Signature Series $200-230
St Croix Imperial $170-220

Someone previously mentioned the Sage Flight but that's $300-360

If you have money to play with, Z-axis is $650 and St Croix Elite is around $430. If you've got a shop near your home, take a reel / line with you and ask to cast them in the grass. You might find something you love for less $$ or end up spending a boat load. Good luck.

I'll second the Cortlands. I have a GRX, and it's shorter, but the action is similar to the GL3 and I love it. They replaced it with the brook series I believe, I test casted one and liked it, but it's a touch softer than the GRX, but still probably faster than your St. Croix. There's always e-bay too. They make some good stuff.

Can also find some decent Cabelas stuff, but its mixed in with some junk, so you gotta be able to test cast to tell em apart.

TFO is another option. I was playin around with a 7'6" 5 wt "Lefty Kreh Professional Series" at the VF show and almost bought it. Thing was stiff, I liked it for specific applications. I'd assume the longer versions wouldn't be quite as broomstickish, but still plenty fast. I think retail is like $150.

Shame about the GL3. I love mine, it's still goin strong. There's another member on here that broke one fairly recently, and misses his.

Whoops, the St Croix I have is actually an Imperial. I may not be right on it being slow, perhaps it is the length I was missing. But I spent a long weekend on Penns and Spring and I missed fish after fish either right as I was setting the hook or shortly after. It was pretty annoying as I would have been really shaming my old man and little brother without that problem. Thanks to all for the suggestions. I'm in Center City Philadelphia, far enough from most fly shops that I'm mostly internet shopping. But it looks like I'll have to get myself to a store to try a few out.

Thanks.
Chris

The Winston Passport is $200 and out ranked most every rod in the $6-700 range. Seems like a no brainer if you want 9'. Also TCO should be about 20 minutes from ya (barring traffic). They should have the rod.

http://www.yellowstoneangler.com/FlyRodReview.Best5weightflyrod.HardyZenith.SageZ-axis.WinstonB3x.WinstonBIIIx.LoomisNRX.SageVXP.StCroixLegendEliteTempleforkBVK.asp

I really like my 4 wt. In '03 I bought an 8 1/2 ft Orvis Clearwater for $169. Mine has the mid-flex action but one can get it in tip-flex as well. This rod works for me.

Dear Chris,

I have two questions for you, being the sneak that I am I'll pose them in one but they really are two questions when I consider your missed fish.

What is so different about your current rod that causes you to miss fish?

How you handle a rod varies according to both it's length and it's action and you need to consider both when considering a replacement.

If you want a 7 1/2 foot 4 weight Cabela's has a number of Redington rods currently at half price, or say $ 75.00 down from $ 150.00. I picked up a Red "something or another" in a 7 1/2 foot 4 weight a couple of years ago and I really like the rod. It's not a Sage or Loomis but it has a nice crisp action that can fish dries, wets, nymphs, and streamers effectively and efficiently.

I'd love it if it had a downlocking reel seat but that's a story for another day.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

RS4

It's a fast action rod and a great price!

He said he fishes small streams and likes his old 7'6'' and the rod he just bought was to slow. So I figured I would show him that I have a 7'6'' that is fast action. thats all.
O and Cabelas is all out of 4wt 9ft Passports, just so you know.

LRSABecker wrote:
He said he fishes small streams and likes his old 7'6'' and the rod he just bought was to slow. So I figured I would show him that I have a 7'6'' that is fast action. thats all.

I would appreciate any recommendations you might have for an affordable replacement for the Loomis: something in the 8'-9' range with moderate fast to fast action

I know quite a few guys who use 9' on Valley, but not a lot using 8' on Penns. I find the 9' 4wt to be my go to rod where others go with 5 wt.

jdaddy wrote:
LRSABecker wrote:

I would appreciate any recommendations you might have for an affordable replacement for the Loomis: something in the 8'-9' range with moderate fast to fast action

I know quite a few guys who use 9' on Valley, but not a lot using 8' on Penns. I find the 9' 4wt to be my go to rod where others go with 5 wt.

Correct, this is what I have heard, and why I chose to buy the passport.

Thanks for all the input, guys. I think I'll ebay the St. Croix and put the money toward this Winston Passport. A 9' rod isn't too too much trouble on Valley if you pay attention and it's certainly nice to have a rod that I can take along to fish bigger water.

Tight Lines,
Chris

One more, the Grey's Streamflex last years models are 50% a lot of places - which makes them $150 more or less. The Grey's rods are nice fishing rods.

Redington Clasic Trout $150. It's a sleeper, you'll be surprise how nice it is for the price.

boychick wrote:
Redington Clasic Trout $150. It's a sleeper, you'll be surprise how nice it is for the price.

I've heard nothing but praise for these, however, I thought the direction was towards fast action which the CT, by all accounts, isn't.

Winston Passport. LRSA got the second to last one, and I got the last one when they were on sale at Cabelas. Granted I've never owned an Orvis or Loomis rod but the Winston is the nicest rod I've ever owned. I absolutely LOVE it.

Back